October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
12 Apr 2021 12:25 #321941 by Shellhead
I already own the Dredd dvd, but I want to communicate to Amazon Prime that I enjoy Dredd and want their algorithm to factor that into their recommendations. Maybe I should just put it on for my cat to watch while I am doing something else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2021 12:27 #321942 by hotseatgames
I would love for there to be a Dredd sequel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Msample

More
12 Apr 2021 14:13 #321944 by Jackwraith
I finally got around to watching Dredd. Eh. I think this is one of those moments where the translation from one medium to another simply falls short. One of the things that made the Judge Dredd comic work was that the extended storylines gave Wagner a lot of room to pontificate on topics that he really wanted to drive home (and, indeed, step away from when they'd gone on too long, like the City of the Damned arc.) I'm not sure that a film will ever be able to capture that storytelling technique because it's just not the right medium for it. Game of Thrones would never have worked as a film and could only work (at least for five seasons...) as a TV series, which is how Dredd might also work.

Long story short, Dredd was OK but not something I could recommend to anyone who wasn't already a fan of the comic. They hit a lot of the right notes for those of us who know the characters (Anderson, etc.) but the film itself was pretty bog-standard SF action flick.

More
12 Apr 2021 15:52 #321955 by jeb
I also want to applaud Karl Urban for doing that whole movie in helmet. That's some humble shit for an actor these days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, ChristopherMD, Jackwraith, sornars, Varys

More
12 Apr 2021 16:01 #321956 by Gary Sax
I thought dredd was awesome for similar reasons you thought it was pretty average sci-fi action fare. Played absolutely straight ahead with no ham fisted world building attempts. The movie was made like it assumed it would get no sequel and no one watching knew the property.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, ChristopherMD, Jackwraith, sornars

More
12 Apr 2021 16:48 #321962 by Jackwraith
@jeb: No doubt. I should've said something about Urban because he played that role just as it should've been played. I think he's not particularly well-suited to the lead in The Boys, but he did well in Dredd and, as you say, credit it due for being willing to hide his face the whole time and just be "Dredd", rather than "Karl Urban, playing Dredd."

@Gary: I think that I wanted more reasons that it was an SF film and not just Die Hard to the MAX. If all we wanted was fancy guns, it could be a more hardcore James Bond film. I tend to like my SF asking questions and the comic DOES ask questions and this film just didn't leave me considering any of the elements of its plot or anything it was trying to say.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, jeb, Gary Sax, mezike, sornars

More
12 Apr 2021 16:58 #321964 by Shellhead
Good point regarding real science fiction. Any decent fiction wants the viewer to ask And Then What Happened? A decent science fiction story should raise more interesting questions, like How does this advance affect society? or What are the ethical issues raised by this new technology? Without those kinds of questions, you are getting some other type of story in science-fiction trappings. For example, Star Wars isn't really science-fiction, it's space fantasy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, sornars

More
12 Apr 2021 17:26 #321965 by RobertB
I've never thought of Dredd as much more that a really good shootemup. It deals a little bit with "What happens when you stick 10 billion people in Rhode Island," but once the shooting starts it's all about the shooting. Not that I don't like Dredd; it's one of my favorites.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, mezike

More
12 Apr 2021 18:15 #321970 by mezike
Must be something in the air because I also watched Dredd over the weekend. I gave my lad the 2000AD bug years ago and he’s so keen to see the movie but still a little bit too young for it. I mean it’s really fucking violent so not exactly something you can handwave on the certification. I’m less worried about the swears so I told him we could watch it together up until the violence got too heavy. We made it something like three minutes in. I offered him the Stallone flick as an alternative but even at his age he knows it’s shite and gave it a pass so we watched Interstellar instead.

To the points above I’ve never felt that Dredd was SciFi beyond the futuristic setting, it meant more to me growing up as dark satire, anti-establishment attitudes, political and societal statements. As much as I enjoy the 2012 film it’s more akin to the modern rather than the classic comic in that Dredd is portrayed as a psychopathic superhero, casually murdering scores of bad guys for a ‘justified cause’ no matter how much of a beating he takes or how many times he is shot or wounded. What made it so great at the height of Wagner’s pomp was that Dredd was the deus ex machina that capped off stories about the far more interesting backdrop of the crazy future world that was a hall-of-mirrors distortion of our own times. What Mills started and Wagner polished was later reinterpreted superficially, lauding rather than mocking Dredd as a fascist bully, and that’s kind of the tone that Garland also went for. Great movie for sure but it’s still not quite the Dredd I prefer come to life from the page.

I remember talking about the state of the franchise here a few months back but I’ll mention again that according to statements from Rebellion the TV show is scripted replete with concept art and sizzle reel but they have struggled to get any producers to bite. Meanwhile the film rights have reverted back to them so they are fishing for a sequel with Garland and Urban on board but again funding is a tough ask for a movie that only made money on DVD sales. Anyone have eighty million bucks going spare?

More
12 Apr 2021 21:57 #321973 by jason10mm
Seeing the shit streaming networks are funding to claim anything with even a trace of known IP you'd think Dredd with Urban attached would be an insta buy.

But then again, Dredd is toxic masculinity personified so in an ACAB 4 quadrant world I can understand the trepidation.

More
13 Apr 2021 00:54 #321981 by jeb
What's the reaction you want from this? It's just shit-stirring.

Anyway. RAN is on Amazon Prime too. King Lear through Kurosawa. It's pretty fucking good.

Also, you can do a back-to-back Werner Herzog in the jungle night with FITZCARRALDO and AGUIRRE: THE WRATH OF GOD which are each amazing in their own ways.

I'm going to dump Prime soon and hop over to Criterion Channel, so get these while the getting is good.

More
13 Apr 2021 04:10 #321982 by Erik Twice
I didn't like Ran. It felt the excesses of previous films were all much stronger in it, like Mifune's overacting.

I should watch some of Kurosawa's non-Samurai movies. Any recommendations?

More
13 Apr 2021 08:07 #321984 by jason10mm

jeb wrote: What's the reaction you want from this? It's just shit-stirring. .

I'm serious. Give me an elevator pitch for a Dredd project that ANY exec will greenlight while the Chauvin trial is happening.

"Yeah so he is a super cop that takes the law into his own......err he's judge, jury, and exec.....err he's part of an elite team that keeps all the poor masses in line....error you know I have some really nice pilots for shows by best selling YA authors instead."

I dont agree with it,, but i'm just saying it doesn't surprise me that no one is buying.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
13 Apr 2021 08:53 #321988 by Jackwraith

Erik Twice wrote: I didn't like Ran. It felt the excesses of previous films were all much stronger in it, like Mifune's overacting.

I should watch some of Kurosawa's non-Samurai movies. Any recommendations?

My favorite will probably always be Rashomon, but The Bad Sleep Well is also quite good and Ikiru may be his best "modern period" film.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

More
13 Apr 2021 09:01 #321989 by charlest
I always thought High and Low was a great noir film.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.033 seconds