October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
13 Apr 2021 09:30 #321991 by Michael Barnes
Dersu Uzala is incredible- somewhat underrated in the Kurosawa canon. It’s non-samurai. Watching Ran in a theater is 10x better than at home. I would rather watch Lone Wolf and Cub over any Kurosawa samurai picture. Not that they are lesser or bad, but LW&C is just far more -entertaining-.

Dredd is like watching a jacked up, grimdark dudebro version of a comedy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2021 11:14 #321994 by Gregarius

Erik Twice wrote: I didn't like Ran. It felt the excesses of previous films were all much stronger in it, like Mifune's overacting.

I should watch some of Kurosawa's non-Samurai movies. Any recommendations?

I second both Ikiru and High and Low.
I'll also throw in Throne of Blood. It's samurai, but it's actually MacBeth told with samurai, so not quite the same.

More
13 Apr 2021 11:52 #321997 by Shellhead
There is an amazing scene in Throne of Blood involving many, many arrows, and actor Toshiro Mifune looks terrified for good reason: they were shooting real arrows at him. Sure, he's wearing armor, but real arrows.

More
13 Apr 2021 12:05 #322000 by jeb
I have a big honking TV and 5.1 sound now, so I think RAN is going to work. Certainly better than the washed out 25" CRT I saw it on in 1991.

More
13 Apr 2021 12:08 #322001 by jason10mm
They did the same thing in the Errol Flynn Robin Hood IIRC. Get a marksman on set and just let fly!

More
15 Apr 2021 10:59 #322139 by Shellhead
Thanks to a combination of cold rainy/snowy weather and police state curfews, I have spent recent evenings watching movies that would lighten my mood.

Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse is amazing. I enjoyed seeing it in the theater the first time, but I somehow remembered it as a long movie and I'm not often in the mood for a movie that goes over two hours. But this one actually clocks in at just 1:45 hours, and only seems longer because the fast pace allows the movie to cover more story. The animation is great. The voice acting is great. The music all falls outside my usual preferences, but works great in this movie. There is considerable humor, plenty of action, actual character development, and the whole range of human emotion.

I like to laugh, and some people even consider me to be a witty guy, with darkly funny observations about whatever is happening around me. But I have largely avoided modern comedy movies because they often strike me as rarely funny and mostly just awkward. And that is all probably just a rationalization for why I would rather watch other genres. Anyway, I finally saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and it was better than I expected. I avoided it for a long time because I am ambivalent about both Jason Segel and Russell Brand. They both strike me as equal parts annoying and funny, though Segel was generally fine in How I Met Your Mother. I'm a big fan of Kristen Bell, but she generally didn't get to be funny in this movie because she's kind of the bad guy. Mila Kunis surpassed my expectations, mostly based on her work on The '70s Show. The whole vampire musical thing was awful and daring and yet somehow just barely managed to work for me. The melody even reminded me in a good way of the Chan Poling song I Don't Want to Kill Anymore. Anyway, the whole movie was highly relatable, because most of us have been through a tough breakup. I even have a close friend who fled to Hawaii after a breakup and ended up living there for over a decade.

I Love You, Man was also enjoyable to watch. I didn't actually find it very funny, but it made me smile a lot. The gay subtext was played for obvious laughs, over and over. But the Jason Segel/Paul Rudd bromance had real friendship chemistry, as did the relationship between Rudd's character and his fiance. Speaking of said fiance, it was personally eerie watching Rashida Jones in this movie, because she had the same hairstyle as my girlfriend did when we first started dating, and there is a general strong resemblance to my girlfriend, right down to exact skin color. Rudd's sunny but awkward performance anchors the entire movie, but the supporting cast was loaded with talent as well: Jane Curtin, Jon Favreau, Jaime Pressly, JK Simmons, and even Lou Ferrigno playing himself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, ChristopherMD, Nodens

More
15 Apr 2021 13:39 #322162 by jeb
I saw and loved INTO THE SPIDERVERSE in the theatres and when I got my big ass 4K-capable TV, it was the first thing we watched on there. My kids have probably seen it 10x now. It's never not good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, jpat

More
16 Apr 2021 11:56 #322195 by jpat
We rewatched Tim Burton's Dark Shadows (2012), which remains as it was nearly a decade ago: a tonal mess with some character dead ends, but an entertaining mess.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
19 Apr 2021 10:48 #322299 by Shellhead
I didn't see Lords of Dogtown in the theater, and with $11 million in box office receipts, few people did. Lords is essentially a dramatic version of a previous documentary, Dogtown and Z-Boys, about the beginning of the skateboard scene in Southern California. At first, I was put off by the style of the movie: lots of shorts scenes that didn't seem to add up to a story. But the cinematography was nice, and the musical selections were effective at nailing down a certain mid-'70s vibe. The subject matter practically requires this approach, because the subject matter is fast and visually exciting. And the story gradually does emerge through the accumulation of short scenes. Some of those scenes are very memorable, though the overall arc of the story is familiar, perhaps because it is based on reality. The young stars deliver credible performances, plus Heath Ledger is present in a scenery-chewing performance. The final scene with the three protagonists and their sickly friend is probably too good to be true, but ends the story on a fine, bittersweet note.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike

More
19 Apr 2021 12:48 #322304 by mezike
Dogtown and Z-Boys is a really excellent documentary, well worth checking out regardless of any affection for skateboarding. I haven't watched Lords of Dogtown since the release; I saw it in a double-header with the documentary and although it isn't in any case a particularly great movie it comes across as particularly weak and over-dramatised when the two are in close comparison. My recommendation is to definitely go for the doc in preference to the movie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, jeb, Gary Sax, Gregarius

More
19 Apr 2021 15:05 #322311 by RobertB
The early-evening after-supper cinema, suitable for my mother-in-law, settled on Apollo 13. I've watched it a dozen times, if not more. I still get a little misty right at the end, and the sad part is I knew how it ended at the start! I'm an old geezer - I remember it from when I was a kid, when it really happened.

It's a good movie. Ron Howard and the cast do a good job, and the movie is straightforward but entertaining. I seem to recall reading that they did a blue million zero-gee trajectory airplane rides to film the zero-gee right. I also recall reading that none of the effects were stock footage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
19 Apr 2021 21:10 #322329 by jason10mm
Apollo 13 is a fave,I met a few of those guys back when they were doing press for the film.

I'm very curious whether Tom Cruise's "shot on the ISS" space movie will be comparatively cheaper and better looking than A13. If he actually pulls it off anyway, it would be an amazing display of method acting :P

More
20 Apr 2021 08:56 - 20 Apr 2021 12:38 #322332 by Sagrilarus

RobertB wrote: The early-evening after-supper cinema, suitable for my mother-in-law, settled on Apollo 13.

If you want more on the subject catch the podcast 13 Minutes to the Moon which covers Apollo 11 in season 1, Apollo 13 in season 2. Very well done, particularly if you're an engineer as it gets into (in particular) a big part of the process engineering that allowed such a grand project to occur with very limited toolsets. Interviews with "bit" players that were thrust into key positions on short notice.

Also, apolloinrealtime.org/ has a complete recording of the entire Apollo 13 mission, that you can listen to in pieces or over one entire week if you're completely crazy. It is running live right now, 42 hours into the mission. But you can start it wherever you like. It's coming up on the part where someone says "we're bored to tears down here."

The film takes some liberties for the obvious reason, but it does make for a pretty solid rendition of what happened in the big picture. Hearing it running in realtime on the web site is pretty damn cool. I was commuting with it in the car radio for a bit last year before the pandemic hit.
Last edit: 20 Apr 2021 12:38 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Not Sure, Gregarius

More
20 Apr 2021 11:04 #322338 by Not Sure
We also just watched this, my son has a school project of "compare a US History event with a film version of it", and he's never seen the film.

It still holds up nicely, and should be fertile ground for him to dig in a little deeper on film vs reality. I'll have to check out that recording, that's the primariest of sources.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
20 Apr 2021 11:16 #322339 by hotseatgames

Not Sure wrote: my son has a school project of "compare a US History event with a film version of it"

Oof. I'll bet that comes up with some terrifying disparities. Here's hoping someone chooses Blackhawk Down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.863 seconds