October 09, 2023
2424 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2632 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
25 Apr 2021 11:35 #322520 by hotseatgames
Also watched Netflix's Stowaway. I am going on the assumption that the entire premise is nonsense, but it is a good excuse for some drama. It's a decent film, right up until that ending. Ugh.

A much better film with some similar themes is U-571.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2021 13:01 - 25 Apr 2021 13:01 #322522 by charlest
Re-watched The Revenant as I've been playing a bunch of Rocky Mountain Man the past couple of weeks. I forgot how beautiful and visceral this film is. Those first 40 minutes or so grab a hold of you and it keeps it up for two and a half hours.
Last edit: 25 Apr 2021 13:01 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

More
25 Apr 2021 18:37 #322527 by Greg Aleknevicus
I liked The Revenant but I had to clench my jaw every time a character fell into icy water, get out, and carry on like nothing happened. It may not be as dramatic as getting attacked by a bear, but it's likely to be deadlier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, charlest

More
25 Apr 2021 18:38 #322528 by Gary Sax
^My wife shouting COTTON KILLS every time they do that and just carry on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Cranberries, Msample, charlest

More
25 Apr 2021 18:52 #322529 by Msample

Gary Sax wrote: ^My wife shouting COTTON KILLS every time they do that and just carry on.

The bear attack is obviously the worst, but I am hard pressed to think of another movie that portrays this much just pure misery - not from torture or violence, but just from the elements and circumstance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
25 Apr 2021 19:46 #322533 by hotseatgames
Today I watched Mortal Kombat Legends - Scorpion's Revenge, which is the recently released animated film, also on HBO Max.

It was a LOT better than the new MK movie. Not saying it was great, but it was a good time. Gory as all get out, you've been warned.

More
26 Apr 2021 11:04 #322553 by jason10mm

hotseatgames wrote: Also watched Netflix's Stowaway. I am going on the assumption that the entire premise is nonsense, but it is a good excuse for some drama. It's a decent film, right up until that ending. Ugh.

A much better film with some similar themes is U-571.

U-571 is an interesting comparison. Hollywood in general has a hard time groking heroes ordering others to their death, even if the alternative is death for everyone. So Matthew Mconahey (I'm gonna have to learn to spell this correctly if he runs for governor) sending sending the little guy in to near certain death to save the rest is an excellent example of leadership but is what is sorely lacking in most Hollywood shows (Stowaway included). Of course I'm not sure how many times that scenario has actually happened (you are ordered to your death to save everyone else) versus the much more common heat of the moment act of heroism of jumping on a grenade or the like. You can read the citations for Medal of Honor to get a good idea of what humans are capable of and self sacrifice is definitely there.

So the doc in Stowaway I think acted according to her nature. SOMEONE had to nut up in that film, the circumstances were extremely dire, and the alternative was murder or TPK. They did a good job writing characters into corners like wounding the captain so SHE couldn't do anything, or taking away the biologists reason for being there. I was expecting a "who is gonna draw the short straw" scene but that would have been too cliche I think.

More
26 Apr 2021 15:55 #322574 by Greg Aleknevicus

jason10mm wrote: Hollywood in general has a hard time groking heroes ordering others to their death, even if the alternative is death for everyone.

Star Trek: The Next Generation had an interesting episode where they tackled that head-on. Troi had to order Geordi to his death in order to save the ship (and pass a Starfleet test). Of course it was just a holodeck simulation so there was no lasting effect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
26 Apr 2021 22:10 #322583 by jason10mm
Did she know it was a sim? I'm sure I've seen that ep but don't recall it right now.

But Hollywood tends to emphasize heroic SELF sacrifice, not ordering others to die to further a greater good. It is usually bad guys who send henchmen to certain death against the hero (or kill underlings themselves, parodied nicely in one of the few funny bits in netflix' Thunder Force).

More
27 Apr 2021 04:02 #322595 by Greg Aleknevicus
Yes, she knew it was a simulation but even so, she was only willing to do it after a few failed attempts. (In the test, you don't know that that's how you pass.)

Of course, it would be more interesting if this idea had been implemented in a "real" situation. Especially considering the number of times they take a 1-in-a-1000 chance in order to save someone, risking everyone in the process.

More
27 Apr 2021 15:53 #322617 by Michael Barnes
Godzilla vs. Kong is absolutely unwatchable trash. I’m sick of B-tier movies that are shot and play out like Universal Studios rides...it used to be common to denigrate genre movies as “theme park rides” but shit like this incredibly idiotic, soulless junk really is like that. I mean this could have been shot by whoever directed the video in that awful Transformers ride.

I hated every single thing about this movie, which never should have been made. The first Godzilla reboot was awkward but had some potential, King of the Monsters was terrible but not vile and it has some decent kaiju action including the best Ghidorah ever and then Skull Island was fucking GREAT. Go figure.

It was just so laughably bad, I can’t believe this isn’t in the Razzies award or whatever...I did like the shot of Mechagodzilla busting out of the side of the mountain but the Mechagodzilla sucked.

Skip this stupid shit and watch Shin Godzilla, the best G movie ever made other than ‘54.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
27 Apr 2021 16:36 #322618 by Shellhead
Rated G for Godzilla.

More
27 Apr 2021 16:44 #322619 by Gary Sax
It has all been such a disappointment after Skull Island was so good.

More
27 Apr 2021 17:56 #322622 by Cranberries
I'm going to see Demon Slayer tonight with my kids. It will be Imax. I have no interest at all, but I do want to hang out with my kids. Wish me luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jay718

More
27 Apr 2021 17:58 #322623 by Michael Barnes
Skull Island had 99% fewer shots of people staring out of window or at a screen and looking worried. Also, a sense of humor.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.574 seconds