October 09, 2023
2444 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
05 Jul 2021 15:52 #324439 by hotseatgames
No Sudden Move on HBO. This is a star-studded crime story set in 1954. Don Cheadle and Benicio Del Toro are unwittingly paired together to do a "simple" job. Things go awry, as they do.

Brendan Fraser, Ray Liotta, Bill Duke (!) and an uncredited star I won't spoil also show up.

It's... fine. Perfectly watchable, but you won't be blown away.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2021 16:53 #324440 by Erik Twice
I saw Joyeux Noël, which is a movie about the Christmas Truce of 1914.

It's a well-made film and I enjoyed but I have to admit it's pretty flawed. It runs long (2 hours) and doesn't manage to capture the brutality of the war to serve as a backdrop to the truce. We know it's exceptional, but the film should have established it, not taken it for granted. The scenes are moving because they are well-made and the subject matter is compelling, not because the film makes a strong case.

They also take quite a few embellishments which weren't necessary. The Christmas Truce is compelling on its own, there was no need for glaring bullshit such as taking cover in the enemy trenches. At its core, it's a simple story. The move also loses points for some cheap antagonists, most notably the German crown heir who is shown as a generic creep. I also appreciate the themes of pan-Europeanism but I think the whole stuff about "well, I was there in a hotel down the street" was a bit forced.

It's an enjoyable movie and I'm glad to have seen it but I must accept it's a bit too sentimental.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, sornars

More
06 Jul 2021 00:21 - 06 Jul 2021 07:14 #324449 by jason10mm
Boss Level on hulu. If you ever wondered what Groundhog Day would be like if it were a relentless action movie, this is for you. Frank Grillo isnt really a leading man type but he carry it off well enough since all he really has to do is shoot and punch people. He's paired up with Naomi Watts and they are like the most attractive 50ish folks ever. Mel Gibson is the bad guy and there are what MUST be jabs at him throughout the film. It is a bizarrely structured film and apparently Blumhouse did a pretty major edit on it which is why it has all these weird video game elements that don't pay off and Michelle Yeoh in a criminally underused cameo. I'd love to know what they changed, especially since their version of this concept (Happy Death Day) was pretty good as well. Still, the flick was fun enough. It really works the live die repeat aspect in a couple interesting ways and that schtick is always appealing to me.

Storks is a pretty good kids flick. It hits enough jokes at an adult level that it is good family fun. No idea when it was made but it's worth a rainy day family film for the kiddos.

Ended up watching Waiting, which I've not seen in a decade or more. Daaaamn a film like this just can't get made today. It hits on soooo many non-PC elements. The ridiculous rap video during the credits with the entire female cast gyrating on the male cast is like the LEAST offensive thing in it :p But as a food service worker back in the day it speaks nothing but truth.
Last edit: 06 Jul 2021 07:14 by jason10mm.

More
06 Jul 2021 09:29 - 06 Jul 2021 09:30 #324453 by Gregarius
I stumbled upon the movie Prospect the other day. It's a low-budget sci-fi western that combines the feeling of a grittier Firefly with the art design of Tales from the Loop. They did a great job of world-building without explaining anything, which I love. The Mandalorian's Pedro Pascal shows up, too. It's not great, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Available on Kanopy.
Last edit: 06 Jul 2021 09:30 by Gregarius.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
06 Jul 2021 14:09 #324460 by hotseatgames
Is that the one with the retro space suits / ship interiors? I think I watched it on Netflix. Well worth it.

More
06 Jul 2021 17:09 #324470 by Nodens
Yes that's the one. It was mentioned upthread. Great movie with a very special atmosphere.

More
07 Jul 2021 10:09 #324490 by jpat

jason10mm wrote: So the natural question is how do YOU know a thing or two about sex work:p

The Tomorrow War on amazon. This is a fun, but INCREDIBLY stupid alien action film. I can't even begin to explain how dumb this film is. But Pratt, Strahoski, and the rest (Chloe from 24!) do their best and it's fun enough without being funny.

It will end, and then there is another 20 minutes. It's the most bizarre amalgamation of other films I've seen in a while.

Title is not as catchy as Call Girl of Cthulhu though, how did that take so long????

Tomorrow War makes Army of the Dead seem like a good movie.

More
07 Jul 2021 11:29 #324491 by ChristopherMD
The idea that world governments would give a shit about their grandchildren's future required the biggest suspension of disbelief I've ever needed to watch a scifi movie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jay718, jpat, Ancient_of_MuMu, sornars, mtagge, Nodens, Kmann

More
07 Jul 2021 13:51 #324493 by jason10mm

jpat wrote:
Tomorrow War makes Army of the Dead seem like a good movie.

See, I'd flip it. AoD is a much better premise but the execution was just trash. TW was doomed from conception but at least it was fun to watch.

But the real concern, for me, is that I can't think of a SINGLE streamer network film I'd watch again, maybe Extraction? I know not all of them were conceived and wholly made by streaming studios but WOW, there is a big quality gap that dies not seem to be closing even when they roll up trucks of money for a-list directors, actors, and writers.

Then again, there are not many theatrical films I'm kicking down the door to watch again so maybe Im.just old and bitter :p

More
07 Jul 2021 14:12 #324496 by Shellhead
I really enjoyed both My Spy and Troop Zero on Amazon Prime. I even watched My Spy a second time, and wouldn't rule out a second viewing of Troop Zero.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
07 Jul 2021 14:14 #324497 by ChristopherMD
My first thought was Lost City of Z from Amazon too.

More
07 Jul 2021 15:25 #324499 by charlest
Roma
Troop Zero
Mank
Triple Frontier
Bo Burnham: Inside
Pieces of a Woman
Trial of the Chicago 7
Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
Marriage Story

I think all of those are noteworthy. Pieces of a Woman and Inside are probably my favorite two. I've watched Inside four times already.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, jpat

More
07 Jul 2021 17:11 #324500 by Sagrilarus

hotseatgames wrote: Is that the one with the retro space suits / ship interiors? I think I watched it on Netflix. Well worth it.

Not available on Netflix in any of the countries I tried. Is there a trick to it?

More
07 Jul 2021 17:25 #324501 by Michael Barnes
Streaming movies are fine and totally legitimate. There are great ones. However, I have yet to see anything with the scope, vision, and singularity of something like Fury Road, BR2049, or any of the other great cinematic experiences of even recent years.

Every time I watch a film made for streaming it always feels like exactly that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, sornars

More
07 Jul 2021 20:08 #324505 by hotseatgames

Sagrilarus wrote:

hotseatgames wrote: Is that the one with the retro space suits / ship interiors? I think I watched it on Netflix. Well worth it.

Not available on Netflix in any of the countries I tried. Is there a trick to it?

It came out there last November. That sucks if it's already gone.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.669 seconds