October 09, 2023
2286 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
16 Oct 2021 01:03 - 16 Oct 2021 10:49 #327244 by hotseatgames
My son wanted me to take him to see Halloween Kills, and I agreed. This was my first movie in a theater since the olden times.

The movie is... okay. Some nice nods back to the original film. I had been under the impression that John Carpenter directed this, but he did not, unfortunately. Also, I was expecting a lot of Jamie Lee Curtis, and you don't get that.

Edit- I should add... this movie REALLY wants you to have seen the one prior. It picks up right where that one left off.
Last edit: 16 Oct 2021 10:49 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2021 10:11 #327247 by jason10mm
Disappointing, I liked the first newest Halloween's take on Meyers. The family aspect with JLC's character was a bit of a stretch but I'll allow it.

Seems to be a pattern with Halloween. Carpenter's sequel, Zombies second one, and now this one. Hard to carry the momentum I guess.

More
16 Oct 2021 11:42 #327249 by Disgustipater
I saw No Time To Die and it was fine; I enjoyed it well enough. Though prior to watching it I went to look up the broad strokes story beats of the previous Craig films, and just got dozens of articles about the “NTTD ending explained!”
After watching it, I didn’t understand what the articles could have been talking about. The story/ending could not be any more straightforward. There was no twist or hard to follow plots, just plain as day resolution. I read one of them just to see what they were talking about and yes, it was just a recap of the clear and easy to understand ending. I guess everything just comes down to the clicks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, Kmann

More
16 Oct 2021 14:41 #327256 by jason10mm
The problem with NTTD isn't following the plot, it's understanding the completely inscrutable motivations of everyone in the film.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
16 Oct 2021 21:53 #327261 by Ah_Pook
The new Batman trailer looks totally fine. It's hard to get excited about New Batman Movie #73 when they all basically look the same any more, but at least it's not Batman vs Superman so it's got that going for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, BillyBobThwarton

More
19 Oct 2021 16:02 #327314 by Gregarius
Aw, man, I actually really liked the latest The Batman trailer. It looked like a horror movie. I'm not saying it will be any good, but I appreciate that they made it with a strong personal vision.

I also saw No Time to Die over the weekend, and yep-- it was fine. The only thing about the ending that needed to be explained to me was what the hell those guys in the red hasmat suits were doing. I mean, I get it-- villain has a lair, has an evil plan, he's gotta have evil henchmen in the background turning knobs and pulling levers and what have you. But seriously, these guys are standing around in shin-deep water sweeping? Looking for coins? Stirring up evil?

Really inconsequential spoiler gripe, but I'll put it behind the tag anyway.
Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kmann

More
20 Oct 2021 21:56 - 21 Oct 2021 16:10 #327339 by Shellhead
The Breed (2001) is not a great movie. Adrian Paul is one of the stars, and he is sporting a cheesy John Waters pencil mustache. Bai Ling and Reed Diamond are also present. That's it for the big names. The story is okay, the cinematography is okay, the acting is tolerable, and the script often leans on cliches. But I regard this movie to be an overlooked cult classic, because it delivers great atmosphere due to locations, costumes, music, and accents. Every location practically shouts eastern Europe in the '50s, and The Breed was in fact filmed in Budapest.

This movie is supposedly set in the near future, in a fascist dystopia somewhat comparable to 1984. But it actually play more like an alternate reality, with most of the technology stuck in the '50s at best. I think they were aiming for 1984 plus vampires, but the results are very much like Comrade Detective plus vampires. There are some interesting ideas, but one scene features the absolute worst wirework that I have ever seen. If you really like vampire movies, you need to see this. If you are looking for an interesting twist on a cop buddy movie, this is it.

EDIT: I watched The Breed via Amazon Prime.
Last edit: 21 Oct 2021 16:10 by Shellhead. Reason: Amazon Prime
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jason10mm

More
22 Oct 2021 00:20 #327350 by Jackwraith
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, cdennett, Erik Twice, Ah_Pook

More
24 Oct 2021 07:39 #327372 by Michael Barnes
I’ve watched it twice now- I think it’s the best Dune we could hope for in terms of a film short of Jodorowsky’s impossible fever dream. But it is only half a film, and it feels oddly stunted and even kind of rushed. There’s almost a sense that it’s the first couple of episodes or even the first season of a TV show. I’m thinking back to Lynch and how, despite its flaws, it really did put a lot the book on the screen in its runtime, which in the theatrical cut is less time than Villinueve has.

It’s a fascinating adaptation- it challenges what is really important in the book and leaves really quite a lot unsaid or understated. Some details are almost abstracted.The Landsraad is mentioned only one time but the context is clear. Same with Weirding and Guild Navigators. Kanly isn’T mentioned at all, we never actually see Shaddam IV or Irulan. Feyd isn’t in it at all. I feel like the script respects the material as well as the audience…for example, we don’t need a big walk and talk about how nobody uses guns because shields render them useless. All we need is Gurney’s slow blade line and the rest is shown, not told.

The production design is among the best. It looks extraordinary. There are so many amazing pieces in the film- one of my favorites is how the Baron wears an extremely long robe that makes him appear unnaturally tall when he’s floating. This will sweep the technicals at the Oscars. The sound design is Star Wars class.

My favorite scene isn’t even something from the books. Salusa Secundus just blew me away. It was evocative and mysterious and it leaves so much to wonder. Yet it’s clear what is going on and what the vibe is there, it’s not an empty mystery box.

Every performer delivered- there wasn’t a weak link among them. I do wish we got to see a little more of Liet Kynes. I be Momoa is champing at the bit to come back with metal eyes once he’s out of the Tleilaxu tanks.

The wait for part 2 is going to painful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, Gregarius

More
24 Oct 2021 09:56 - 24 Oct 2021 09:56 #327374 by charlest
I really enjoyed it. Villeneuve is one of my favorite living directors and I knew his aesthetic and sense of artistry would serve Dune well. The visuals were phenomenal and the mood perfect.

I'm very much into the theater experience and prefer to see films, at least those deserving, in a theater. This was a great choice when I saw The Green Knight and am thankful I was able to see Dune in a theater. Unfortunately there were only four other people there and I fear it may not do well, although it was 12:30 PM on a Saturday.

During the Reverend Mother scene when we get the first real full fledged use of the wyrding way, I jumped. The seat vibrated due to the effect and volume and it was absolutely startling. It was perfect.
Last edit: 24 Oct 2021 09:56 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, sornars

More
24 Oct 2021 10:14 #327375 by Michael Barnes
Yeah I wanted to see it in the theater but Thursday night I just couldn’t help myself. I also wanted to be in complete control watching it- no kids, audience, technical issues, or other unpredictabilities. I made a giant Tiki cocktail and posted up. And because I’m uber emotional I did get teary eyed a few times just from finally seeing my favorite book on screen again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, charlest

More
24 Oct 2021 12:24 #327379 by DukeofChutney

charlest wrote: Unfortunately there were only four other people there and I fear it may not do well, although it was 12:30 PM on a Saturday.

We must not fear, fear is the mind killer!

Saw it last thursday, loved it with a couple of reservations. As a visual audio experience in the cinema it is incredible. The aesthetics of the ships, clothing etc are all epic. There really are very few cinema sci-fi epics. The danger with an epic is can easily become dull in places and this never did.

Whilst this is better acted and cast than the Lynch version for some reason i felt more drawn to some of the characters in that one. Certainly MacLachlan's Paul. I think this new Paul is a better reflection of the teenager in the book but he was slightly less interesting to me for some reason.

I didn't miss Sting in his underpants or laughing man Barron and Momoa's Idaho was great. The screening i was in was fairly full, but it was second night running at 8pm, so i would expect it to be. I'm not sure what it has to gross to make a sequal viable but im optimistic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, charlest

More
24 Oct 2021 14:16 #327380 by Michael Barnes
I feel you, I also found that I sort of missed all of the Lynchian weirdness- even Lynch himself as the Harvester operator hollering over comms at Leto. I also found myself thinking about the Toto score a lot.

I saw the Lynch version when I was 9 in the theater. To call it a formative event is an understatement. I loved it and I remember wondering why my parents hated it so much. My dad said “it was like two hours of staring at someone’s hand”. It’s a weird movie, it reaches amazing peaks of austerity and then turns sharply to camp. Lynch obviously didn’t care for the material and it shows, but I think enough people were involved that did. Freddie Francis, one of the great cinematographers and directors of British Horror, made it look beautiful. The Bob Ringwood costumes are iconic. Carlos Rambaldi’s practical effects are awesome. I don’t think anything Villineueve could do will top the Guild Navigator…a giant blobby vagina mouth monster with human eyes floating in a giant tank of spice stew. I even like the Weirding modules, that concept blew my mind when I was a kid. And it fits into the Dune world pretty well.

All this to say that I don’t feel like the Lynch version had been replaced. I still love it and in fact I had it on this morning. It’s messy and awkward, yeah. But it’s almost like these two films are different interpretations of the Bible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jason10mm

More
24 Oct 2021 14:16 #327381 by jason10mm
I'm gonna be the usual wet blanket here (huzzah!) and say the new dune is a shallow imitation compared to Lynch. All the actors are set to 4 when they should have been set to 11. Only Mamoa knows he is in an epic space opera, everyone else thinks they are in a British drama set at a funeral. The music tries to compensate but it is all "ah aaah ah ah ahaaaaaaaa" yodeling over and over, drowning out the dialogue that is name dropping words from Dune without context.

I just watched Lynch's version today with the kids and almost every scene that is similar to Villeneuve's is superior in Lynch's version. You FEEL the pain with the box, the stillsuits are elaborate enough to actually require Kynes to do stuff to them, the tooth scene is incredibly tense. The old blurry shield concept is much more impressive as well.

Anyway, it's a fine film but personally I'd wait for part 2 and make it a double feature. As it is it is an exhaustive buildup to nothing.

FWIW I felt this was about all of Villeneuve's latest stuff (BR2049, Arrival). That guy can't inject real emotion into his films for some reason. Might just be me :p

I'm also a lifelong Lynch dune fan to an unreasonable degree. That film got me through some rough spots as a kid so I'm pretty possessive of it so take my impression of Dune-2021 with a lot of salt.

New film is gonna sell a lot of knives though, damn if it wasn't an organsmic display of blades. Cosplayers are going to go apeshit over it as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, DukeofChutney

More
24 Oct 2021 15:35 #327386 by ChristopherMD
Michael mentioned "show don't tell" and I think that sums up a lot of this movie. It's like they dropped everything that wasn't critical to the Story of Muad'dib into the visuals. Even then there's a sense of minimalism to how much they show.

HBO has said that Part 2 isn't dependent on box office. If anyone recalls, they also announced at one point the TV show Dune: Sisterhood that Villeneuve is supposed to direct the pilot of. I think HBO is hoping for a franchise not just a sequel and with all the positive reception of this movie I'm feeling optimistic for a change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, sornars, Nodens

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.560 seconds