October 09, 2023
2296 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
07 Mar 2022 10:46 - 07 Mar 2022 11:09 #331434 by Sagrilarus

jpat wrote: A quick separate point: "The Batman" as a PG-13 film just shows how completely broken the rating system is. There's no way, in a holistic sense, that "The Batman" is anything but an R; yet the (near) absence of profanity and sex plus the antiseptic and sometimes visually obscured treatment of violence manages to result in a PG-13. Crazy.

The system is kind of odd, in that it doesn't have an official definition for each rating. There's a group of people more or less selected from the general public that view the film prior to release and come to an agreement. So as the country becomes more comfortable with violence it becomes more welcome in the less restrictive categories. As the country becomes less comfortable with sexual exploration it gets more and more restricted.

I'll be honest, it appears to me that virtually any American TV show that features law enforcement or general adventure themes leads off its pilot episode with a big dose of big gun-play to get people's attention, often the most violence displayed in a show's entire run. Cowboy Bebop is a recent example. That is the environment that movie ratings are being adjudicated in. Ratings don't mean jack on TV, which pipes into your house largely unfiltered and unrestricted. So at some point it just becomes the baseline.

My wife and I spend 90% of our viewing time watching foreign television now, most from other English-speaking countries. Often these are police procedurals about murder and other violent crime. But it is exceeding rare for a firearm to appear and even rarer for it to be fired. When we come back to American films and TV there's a reacclimation process that we need to pass through, often with the mute button on until the firing stops. Pretty remarkable how often American police mysteries are solved by someone setting off a gun.
Last edit: 07 Mar 2022 11:09 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, Msample, Nodens, Dive-Dive-Dive!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2022 13:07 #331439 by Msample
THE BATMAN

I have not seen it yet. The few reviews I've read cite both the unnecessarily long running time ( close to three hours, WTF ??) and what seems to be an increaingly common theme, hard to hear dialog and overly dark photography. Fuck you Hollywood, I am not paying theater prices for that shit, esp when I know I can watch it on my home theater system streaming in a few months. With subtitles if I have to, FFS.

Rant off.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Varys, Kmann

More
07 Mar 2022 13:13 #331440 by jpat

Msample wrote: THE BATMAN

I have not seen it yet. The few reviews I've read cite both the unnecessarily long running time ( close to three hours, WTF ??) and what seems to be an increaingly common theme, hard to hear dialog and overly dark photography. Fuck you Hollywood, I am not paying theater prices for that shit, esp when I know I can watch it on my home theater system streaming in a few months. With subtitles if I have to, FFS.

Rant off.

For whatever it's worth, I didn't have an issue with the dialogue audio mix in this one. The movie is almost always physically dark, but I didn't have any serious trouble following the action.

More
07 Mar 2022 13:17 - 07 Mar 2022 13:18 #331441 by jpat

Sagrilarus wrote:

jpat wrote: A quick separate point: "The Batman" as a PG-13 film just shows how completely broken the rating system is. There's no way, in a holistic sense, that "The Batman" is anything but an R; yet the (near) absence of profanity and sex plus the antiseptic and sometimes visually obscured treatment of violence manages to result in a PG-13. Crazy.

The system is kind of odd, in that it doesn't have an official definition for each rating. There's a group of people more or less selected from the general public that view the film prior to release and come to an agreement. So as the country becomes more comfortable with violence it becomes more welcome in the less restrictive categories. As the country becomes less comfortable with sexual exploration it gets more and more restricted.

I'll be honest, it appears to me that virtually any American TV show that features law enforcement or general adventure themes leads off its pilot episode with a big dose of big gun-play to get people's attention, often the most violence displayed in a show's entire run. Cowboy Bebop is a recent example. That is the environment that movie ratings are being adjudicated in. Ratings don't mean jack on TV, which pipes into your house largely unfiltered and unrestricted. So at some point it just becomes the baseline.

My wife and I spend 90% of our viewing time watching foreign television now, most from other English-speaking countries. Often these are police procedurals about murder and other violent crime. But it is exceeding rare for a firearm to appear and even rarer for it to be fired. When we come back to American films and TV there's a reacclimation process that we need to pass through, often with the mute button on until the firing stops. Pretty remarkable how often American police mysteries are solved by someone setting off a gun.

Ultimately, the rating system has to have a rubric that involves counting instances or minutes of x, y, and z, and that's going to mean that people and companies are going to find ways to brush up against the limits. But in terms of thematic content, tone, and implied (if not always shown) violence, the PG-13 rating is, to me, a significant misclassification of "The Batman" on a more holistic level. This sort of thing is never going to be fixed. It was already tried with the NC-17 rating, which was a complete disaster given that theater owners didn't want to show those movies, and PG-13 itself was already a response to the PG rating stretching of 1980s movies such as "Temple of Doom."
Last edit: 07 Mar 2022 13:18 by jpat.

More
07 Mar 2022 15:46 #331444 by Joebot

Sagrilarus wrote: My wife and I spend 90% of our viewing time watching foreign television now, most from other English-speaking countries. Often these are police procedurals about murder and other violent crime. But it is exceeding rare for a firearm to appear and even rarer for it to be fired. When we come back to American films and TV there's a reacclimation process that we need to pass through, often with the mute button on until the firing stops. Pretty remarkable how often American police mysteries are solved by someone setting off a gun.

I would call out one American counter-example: The Wire.

If I'm not mistaken, across 60 episodes of The Wire, there are only TWO instances of a police officer firing a gun. Both happen to be Pryzbylewski. One, he accidentally fires his gun into a wall, and two he accidentally shoots an undercover officer in a dark alley. That's it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, ChristopherMD, Msample, hotseatgames, Gregarius

More
07 Mar 2022 19:16 #331447 by Jackwraith
That's true. But there's a few more instances of gunfire between other characters. Omar's encounter with Weebay comes to mind, as well as his escape from Marlo's group. It's true that The Wire was pretty restrained on that stuff and that was intentional by David Simon. It's also true that The Wire is the best thing ever put on TV, so one would expect it to do things right.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, Msample, hotseatgames, Kmann

More
07 Mar 2022 19:35 #331448 by Shellhead
What was remarkable about The Wire was the lack of shooting by police, which is fairly realistic. Plenty of police officers have never fired a pistol at a suspect, and quite a few never even drew their weapon outside of the firing range. The violence between criminals does happen more often, especially between rival organizations grabbing turf. Much of the writing for The Wire and also Homicide: Life on the Streets was based on the writing of long-time Baltimore crime beat reporter David Simon. He also wrote an excellent book about his experience riding along with Baltimore homicide detectives for a year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
07 Mar 2022 20:12 #331449 by Msample

Shellhead wrote: What was remarkable about The Wire was the lack of shooting by police, which is fairly realistic. Plenty of police officers have never fired a pistol at a suspect, and quite a few never even drew their weapon outside of the firing range. The violence between criminals does happen more often, especially between rival organizations grabbing turf. Much of the writing for The Wire and also Homicide: Life on the Streets was based on the writing of long-time Baltimore crime beat reporter David Simon. He also wrote an excellent book about his experience riding along with Baltimore homicide detectives for a year.

Just to clarify for those that have not watched the show, this is not to say that the police are depicted in a positive light . While the principal police characters ( other than Prez's incidents ) don't fire, they do engage in some questionable behavior including beating down some suspects, one scene where two pocket drug money, as well as the usual lazy old timer tropes ( early season 1 ) and the viewpoint that a of the policing policies are deeply flawed and often driven by political motives.

More
07 Mar 2022 22:47 #331450 by n815e
It’s actually very rare for a police officer to ever have to fire their weapon during their career. Draw their weapon? Yes. Need to actually use it? No.

More
08 Mar 2022 01:29 #331453 by Jackwraith
dichotomouspurity.blogspot.com/2022/02/s...ges-live-action.html
dichotomouspurity.blogspot.com/2022/03/s...-animation-2021.html
dichotomouspurity.blogspot.com/2022/03/s...ges-documentary.html

Just FYI: I did writeups on all the nominated shorts (the awards for which are under the pre-ceremony axe this year.) The majority of them were excellent and, AFAIK, all of them are available on places like YouTube, if you're interested.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, Gregarius

More
08 Mar 2022 08:57 #331454 by Gregarius
Regarding the MPAA rating failures, a few years ago I became obsessed with the idea of creating a totally new rating system. I called it "Vessel" (VSL) where each movie would get a three-digit code. Zero through nine in Violence, Sex, and Language. And each number would be clearly defined (like, even one utterance of the word "fuck" would get an automatic 6 in L). Bambi would get a 2.0.0. or so.

I can't remember all of the details now, but another aspect would be that it was open-sourced to the public instead of handed down from a select group.

Anyway, after really diving deep into this idea and trying to figure out a way to promote it and make it the new standard, I discovered some Christian website that basically did the same thing and I felt totally defeated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, hotseatgames, sornars, DarthJoJo

More
08 Mar 2022 09:06 #331456 by dysjunct

Gregarius wrote: Anyway, after really diving deep into this idea and trying to figure out a way to promote it and make it the new standard, I discovered some Christian website that basically did the same thing and I felt totally defeated.

CAPalert!

capalert.com/

Kind of famous for a while; they are pretty nutty and consider almost everything to be offensive in some way. E.g. Prince of Egypt, which you’d think is an ideal movie in that it’s faithful to the biblical narrative of the Exodus (and just a great movie generally) loses points for portraying “reckless horseplay.”

That said, points for trying to supply an objective breakdown by category. Their output seems to have dropped off recently. I think it’s just one guy, and of course there’s no way to keep up with the deluge of content without a dedicated team. I think Greg’s idea of crowdsourcing is probably more feasible these days.

More
08 Mar 2022 09:30 - 08 Mar 2022 09:32 #331458 by hotseatgames
So if I get a 6 for saying fuck once... how many times can I say it before I get a 7?
Last edit: 08 Mar 2022 09:32 by hotseatgames.

More
08 Mar 2022 09:37 #331459 by the_jake_1973

Jackwraith wrote: I thought it was... average? It's totally predictable, as most noir films are, since you know they're just locked on a trip to a dark end. But it still felt like they were going through the motions, rather than really engaging the story. Cate Blanchett's character seemed wholly artificial; present only to drive the story forward, rather than having any actual motivation. I haven't seen the original, so maybe they were just following that, note-for-note, but it still felt like there was room to flesh out her character a bit and make her something other than the one-note femme fatale. I'm a Del Toro fan, too, and I kind of expected more from this one. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't that great, either.

I was expecting more from this movie. I didn't realize it was a remake of I may have passed on it altogether. Was the psychologist so resentful from the issue at the performance that she wanted to set him up for the fall? Was she just meant to be the personification of the tarot reading? I wanted more direct motivation for the doublecross than I got. Average movie with amazing set dressing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
08 Mar 2022 09:43 - 08 Mar 2022 09:44 #331460 by RobertB
I know that the official description of how movies are rated in the US is, "We bring in parents just like you to rate our movies." But I've also read descriptions of back and forth between studios and the MPAA where the studio is trying to get a film's rating changed from an NC-17 to an R, or from an R to a PG-13. So to me this doesn't sound like an independent committee that hands down a rating; it sounds more like something to keep people off the MPAA's back. And yes, this tinfoil hat is quite comfortable.

I've also read that there are guidelines that the MPAA kinda sorta follows. x number of violent deaths, no boobs, and just one non-sexual f-bomb will keep you at PG-13, stuff like that.

I think the rating system I see on TV is pretty good, where you get a list of what you can expect to see that might be problematic. "Language, sexual situations, nudity, smoking."
Last edit: 08 Mar 2022 09:44 by RobertB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.759 seconds