October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
14 Mar 2022 16:15 #331602 by Michael Barnes
But if the point of Penguin was to “back door pilot” a series then I dislike it even more because it’s even more of a waste of time. The car chase was OK, but compared to the one in TDK? No comparison. But man. I did like the batmobile revving up and making that hideous shrieking.

There were definitely a couple of good things about it. The first 15 minutes is great, casting Batman properly as a horror character. I loved the scene in the police station, even though it did put me in mind of the great police station scene in TDK. The general arc of not knowing what to do to help to figuring it out is a good one. The fighting was mostly really solid and I did like that that there wasn’t the usual big showdown with the villain atop a skyscraper or whatever.

Oddly it kind of reminded me in some ways of The Incredibles 2.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, Gregarius

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2022 17:45 #331604 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I really hope that someone has the bright idea of making a Batman film aimed at 10 year olds. Somewhere along the way something was lost in superhero films ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus, Not Sure, mezike, Gregarius, Kmann

More
14 Mar 2022 18:00 - 14 Mar 2022 18:00 #331605 by Michael Barnes
Yes, please. I’d love to see an honest to god kids Batman film handled with sincerity and respect. I’m sick to death of the post-Frank Miller Batman that everyone insists on…the best Batman media remains the animated series and the other cartoons. Especially the Brave and the Bold, which is hilarious and also goes insanely deep into DC history.

Even the Grant Morrison run, which is the best Batman run of all time, they made sure to cover the lighter, more absurd elements of the character. It ain’t gotta be Joel Schumacher but something less adult would be great.

Especially because DC’s marquee heroes in the 70s, 80s and 90s were super focused on kids, and the stuff was good.
Last edit: 14 Mar 2022 18:00 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ancient_of_MuMu

More
14 Mar 2022 19:31 #331607 by Jackwraith
The reason that DC ended up in second-place behind Marvel for the past half century is because their marquee characters were aimed solely at kids in the 60s and the storytelling was for shit. The first character to break away from that was, in fact, The Batman under Denny O'Neill and Neal Adams in the late 60s and early 70s. That's also why it became their best-selling and most marketable character ever since. DC had finally turned the corner in the 80s with books aimed at a more durable audience with more money (i.e. college-aged males) and that's why things like Return of the Dark Knight, Watchmen, and the Vertigo imprint came about. None of their major characters have been aimed at kids since then. It still hasn't gotten them past Marvel because the latter is still following their superior model (not least in terms of making decent films) which is that characters are humans first, superheroes second, which is precisely the opposite at DC, despite earnest attempts to push back against the marketing department and change that since the first Crisis on Infinite Earths. It certainly didn't change in the 90s, unless you think that storylines like Bane and Death of Superman were aimed at kids.

Personally, the idea that superheroes are inherently for kids repels me. It's not the case. It's never been the case (The Batman began his existence with twin .45s, killing criminals, just like The Shadow) and it was only the Frederic Wertham farce in the 50s that made people think that way. There's certainly nothing wrong with doing a version of those characters that's more light-hearted, but anyone thinking that something has radically changed in recent times hasn't been paying attention for the past 50 years or so.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, Nodens, DarthJoJo

More
15 Mar 2022 02:43 #331618 by Nodens
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Ancient_of_MuMu

More
15 Mar 2022 03:23 #331620 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I do understand the history, but the obsession with making Batman dark has just gone too far. Too much is too dark at the moment and Batman could have a great fun family film made.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
15 Mar 2022 07:35 #331624 by jason10mm
We just need more Lego batman apparently...

More
15 Mar 2022 08:14 #331626 by the_jake_1973

jason10mm wrote: We just need more Lego batman apparently...

That's the only Batman movie I'd be inclined to watch at this point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
15 Mar 2022 09:07 #331630 by Jackwraith

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: I do understand the history, but the obsession with making Batman dark has just gone too far. Too much is too dark at the moment and Batman could have a great fun family film made.

Sure. I'm not objecting to that. I just get riled when the "Superheroes are for kids!!" sentiment seems to be in the air. I assume that if a studio thought it would make money, it would be made. Of course, it's certainly possible that someone gambled on the "Batman, but darkerer!" angle and now they're going to suffer from it because they went as far off the edge as Joel Schumacher did (Batman Forever.) As noted, I'm of the "Comics aren't just for kids" bent and I really have no interest in seeing the new film.

More
15 Mar 2022 13:13 #331638 by Msample
I do think there is a school of thought in Hollywood that movies aimed at kids are less desirable/profitable than adult ones.

More
15 Mar 2022 13:49 #331642 by jason10mm
I'd argue that films "suitable for kids", like the marvel ones, are more profitable in general than "aimed at adults" like Watchmen, 300, or arguably TDK and TDKR. Clearly things like Joker can be big hits, but those are just adult dramas with a minimal "superhero" connection. I don't think ultra gritty adult heroes, as fun as they are to watch in the moment (I'm thinking of The Boys here), really have great legs unless there are also really good character moments to carry them through the melancholy. Whereas a fun popcorn flick usually has good rewatchability.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
15 Mar 2022 16:13 #331649 by Gregarius

Ah_Pook wrote: Yea I mean I haven't watched a Batman movie since the one with Heath ledger as the joker so I'm probably not going to go out of my way to see the new one that's a thousand years long and has been nearly universally panned, personally. I'm glad you thought it had redeeming qualities though!

Yep, no worries. Everyone has their own tastes, and that's the way it should be.
My only quibble is "nearly universally panned," when Metacritic has it at 72 (critics) and 8.2 (users).

More
15 Mar 2022 16:15 #331650 by Gregarius

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: I really hope that someone has the bright idea of making a Batman film aimed at 10 year olds. Somewhere along the way something was lost in superhero films ...

I think that wish for Batman is a lost cause at this point, but I would support this 1000% for Superman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Nodens

More
15 Mar 2022 19:06 #331652 by ChristopherMD
10 years old is appropriate for Batman: The Animated Series. It's better than every live-action Batman movie anyways. I haven't seen a Batman movie since Nolan's and I'm still a big fan of those. The DC Snyder-verse style just isn't for me. The Marvel movies on the other hand are like comfort candy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, sornars

More
15 Mar 2022 20:19 #331653 by Sagrilarus

jason10mm wrote: We just need more Lego batman apparently...

No, we need batman film where fucking weirdos don’t worship the villains. There IS a happy medium.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Msample, Ancient_of_MuMu, Gregarius

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.912 seconds