October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
28 Mar 2022 19:40 - 28 Mar 2022 21:58 #331941 by ChristopherMD
Coda - I don't really put much stock in the Oscars. The Green Knight would be on my personal list of best films of 2021. Out of the nominees last night I'd have gone with Dune. Now I would go with this wonderful film as the best one of 2021. Certainly better than Belfast. It stars the sister from Locke & Key as the only hearing member of a deaf fishing family in Gloucester, MA. She likes to sing and gets encouraged by a teacher to pursue it. Some interesting song choices and a beautiful duet scene. It can be argued its formulaic but sometimes formula allow different perspectives to be presented better.
Last edit: 28 Mar 2022 21:58 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2022 22:02 #331992 by Shellhead
My mom was a big fan of Agatha Christie books, so I read a few when I was a teenager. Until now, the only movie adaptation that I ever saw was Murder on the Orient Express, and that was enjoyable. I just finished watching Death on the Nile via HBO, and it was just okay. The star-studded cast was not entirely A-list folks. The writing was apparently pretty faithful to the story, but the requirement to make everybody seem like a suspect made for an exhausting number of plot points. There were several moments where an actor seemed to visibly struggle with a slightly awkward bit of dialogue, but Rose Leslie surprised me with a very credible French accent and some complex and interesting facial expressions despite going through most scenes with a poker face. Death on the Nile isn't a bad movie, but if you have a choice, I would recommend Knives Out for better overall entertainment value.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
31 Mar 2022 00:38 #331993 by RobertB
Late to the party, but that's my style. My wife decided to watch 6 Underground. About five minutes into it, I thought, "This looks like some Michael Bay POS." Yep. Ryan Reynolds is pretty good in it most of the time, and the movie is funny in spots. But in general it kind of sucked. It's obviously supposed to start a series, but it looks like Netflix said, "No thanks."
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
31 Mar 2022 07:12 #331995 by Nodens
Good Vibrations (2012) is very good. It's based on the true story of Terri Hooley who opened a record shop in the middle of the war in Northern Ireland, had an epiphany when he saw his first punk rock show and went on to become the Godfather of Northern Irish PunkTM.
Sounds like a mouthful, and it is, but I felt the sense of time and space was conveyed perfectly. Be warned that he was quite the flawed character and the movie is about him and not much else.
From the after-movie-conversation: "no, an alcoholic he wasn't, just Irish."

More
31 Mar 2022 09:32 #332000 by the_jake_1973
We watched Death on the Nile the other night and it was pretty, but lifeless. There are 2 other, older, options that are better than the newest one. Decent soundtrack.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
31 Mar 2022 09:39 #332001 by fightcitymayor

Shellhead wrote: Death on the Nile isn't a bad movie, but if you have a choice, I would recommend Knives Out for better overall entertainment value.

Does anyone else think Knives Out was overrated?

I have a theory that Wes Anderson's influence has polluted ensemble comedies. Whenever I see a film that brings together a "star-studded cast" of disparate actors, there is an expectation that each actor must morph into this understated, eccentric character study, designed so the audience all mutters "Wow, i never thought Actor-X could play a part like THAT!" Maybe I have an unreasonable fondness for the 1970's murder mysteries, where whenever famous actors showed up in an ensemble cast you got the feeling they made very sure their appearance was BIG and ROBUST and made a real statement when their face showed up for the first time (camera pans slowly up from floor level, revealing... Bette Davis! WOO!!! LFG!!!) Modern cinema takes the opposite approach, and I feel like that wastes the "coolness factor" of having so many notable faces in a whodunit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, sornars

More
31 Mar 2022 10:44 #332004 by Gary Sax
I thought Knives Out was one of the most genuinely funny movies of the last few years, so no... I see it mostly as a detective comedy.

I find it much funnier than Wes Anderson movies, which I don't care for, because there are actual jokes that are funny, not just a vague desperation and weirdness vibe that people find quirky and funny. I can definitely see the through line visually between the Wes Anderson and Knives Out, though, so I totally get connecting them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, n815e

More
31 Mar 2022 10:50 #332005 by hotseatgames
Knives Out was fabulous. A pure joy.

More
31 Mar 2022 10:54 - 31 Mar 2022 11:06 #332006 by Virabhadra
I've watched a lot of interesting TV series but movies are something of a cultural blind spot for me. I was surprised that Death on the Nile's blurb on HBO mentions an "all-star" cast, because I didn't recognize a single person in the splash photo.
Last edit: 31 Mar 2022 11:06 by Virabhadra.

More
31 Mar 2022 11:22 #332008 by Shellhead
These are the only stars that I recall from Death on the Nile without looking anything up, even though I just watched the movie last night:

Gal Gadot (Wonder Woman)
Russell Brand (angry-looking comedian who was married to Katy Perry)
Letitia Wright (Black Panther's sister)
Rose Leslie ("You know nothing, Jon Snow.")

There were a few other stars, but they only registered as familiar faces to me.

More
31 Mar 2022 11:24 #332009 by the_jake_1973
Kenneth Brannagh was Poirot....but not in a good way IMO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
31 Mar 2022 13:21 #332011 by Jackwraith
Allow me to join in with FCM, but worse. I thought Knives Out was simply bad: dichotomouspurity.blogspot.com/2020/02/right-out.html?m=1
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, fightcitymayor

More
31 Mar 2022 15:43 - 31 Mar 2022 15:43 #332013 by Sagrilarus
Knives Out was fine. Worked for me.

Stripes, if anything, illustrates how much better a movie the original Ghostbusters (which came a few years later) was--where Stirpes is jejune, slack, and often poorly paced (and I'd discourage anyone from watching the extended version, which I once made the mistake of doing), Ghostbusters is near comedic perfection. Stripes obviously is not without laughs, given it was directed by Ivan Reitman and features near-creative-peak Murray and Ramis, and it's obviously dated in some ways that edgy comedies often exhibit after their eras. It's also a film that very much wants it both ways--the snarky outsider critique of the Army and the recognition and embrace of core Army values--that blunts whatever, if anything, it's trying to say. Contrast this with other "slobs vs. snobs"-type comedies of the period to note the difference; it'd be as if the caddies in Caddyshack ended the movie by themselves becoming club owners.

My family recently watched the version of Stripes on TV, which I think included some additional material. The prime takeaway -- it is really dated. It's depiction of women is pretty doggone neolithic. I'd wager some of the extended stuff was the sexist crap that didn't make first release.
Last edit: 31 Mar 2022 15:43 by Sagrilarus.

More
03 Apr 2022 08:59 #332046 by Ancient_of_MuMu
After seeing it on a list of best films if 2021 I watched Sundown and I really loved it and don't know how it bypassed awards season. Tim Roth gave my favourite performance of the year and I was just captivated from start to finish. I messaged my partner 20 minutes in that I had no idea where the film was going, which is a rarity in modern film.

I don't want to say too much about it as people are best to view it going in blank (it is a slow ponderous drama like Power of the Dog), because a lot goes unsaid in the film and because of that you make assumptions and the film plays with those assumptions. But even knowing the plot I would happily watch it multiple times for the wonderful performances.

It has had a really profound effect on me which is rare for a film these days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Nodens, DarthJoJo

More
03 Apr 2022 13:29 #332048 by ChristopherMD
Moonfall - Might be the stupidest disaster movie I've ever seen. $140MM budget for a $20 script.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.644 seconds