October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
11 Apr 2022 11:42 #332211 by jpat
See for Me (2021; dir Randall Okita) is a movie with a decent premise (visually impaired person needs help from an app-based service to "see" the home invaders she's faced with), but it's a muddled mess that left me questioning what the lead character, Sophie, was really up to.

So let's get that out of the way: it's a bad movie on its own terms. What I really found objectionable, though, was that they chose to make Sophie almost completely helpless--one scene shows she has a cane, but she never uses it, instead stumbling around or asking for help. We're supposed to accept that after almost four years of being impaired, she's either neglected or rejected the kind of navigation training that would allow her to lead an effective life. And, of course, she's bitter. The worst thing about this was, for me, the fact that making her reasonably capable would not have impacted the plotline at all, yet the filmmakers went for the helpless victim angle. The alternative can be done--and, in fact, was done in 1967's "Wait Until Dark," based on a play and starring Audrey Hepburn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2022 18:51 #332254 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Nearly made it through West Side Story last night but gave up when the tv accidentally switched off and we realized no one had been watching for half an hour. I have never understood its appeal, mainly because its songs don't work for me in the slightest. I did appreciate the beautiful cinematography and production design, but really wish it had been updated with better music and a faster paced story. Plus Ansel Elgort was so horribly miscast that every scene with him in it was so distracting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
12 Apr 2022 23:38 #332259 by Jackwraith
I have never understood the appeal of musicals and I'm an opera fan. West Side Story is no different. I mean, I realize there's entertainment value there and there are obviously legions of fans for both versions and musicals in general, but the genre just doesn't do anything for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
13 Apr 2022 00:32 #332260 by WadeMonnig

Jackwraith wrote: I have never understood the appeal of musicals and I'm an opera fan. West Side Story is no different. I mean, I realize there's entertainment value there and there are obviously legions of fans for both versions and musicals in general, but the genre just doesn't do anything for me.

Does this include Rocky Horror/Shock Treatment and Little Shop of Horrors?

More
13 Apr 2022 03:26 #332261 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I don't mind a musical. But the interesting thing was during West Side Story, my son asked what our favourite song from The Sound of Music was, and we all had different opinions and conceded there was 6 or 7 good songs there. But in West Side Story, maybe 'America' and that is it. 'Somewhere', 'Maria' and 'I Feel Pretty' are ok but not inspiring. The rest are so dull.

More
13 Apr 2022 09:29 #332265 by jason10mm

jpat wrote: See for Me (2021; dir Randall Okita) is a movie with a decent premise (visually impaired person needs help from an app-based service to "see" the home invaders she's faced with), but it's a muddled mess that left me questioning what the lead character, Sophie, was really up to.

I've not seen it yet, but isn't the film Don't Breathe basically this premise except the blind guy (Stephen Lang) turns out to be really really good at hunting down and killing the home invaders? It's on my watch list.

More
13 Apr 2022 09:36 #332266 by Shellhead

Jackwraith wrote: I have never understood the appeal of musicals and I'm an opera fan. West Side Story is no different. I mean, I realize there's entertainment value there and there are obviously legions of fans for both versions and musicals in general, but the genre just doesn't do anything for me.

I find it jarring when a character is speaking and abruptly breaks into song. I don't hate musicals, but the format feels uncanny to me.

More
13 Apr 2022 09:45 #332267 by Gregarius
Saw The Eyes of Tammy Faye last weekend. Eh. It really felt like a TV movie (do they still make those) rather than a feature film. They do a pretty good job of portraying Tammy Faye as an endearing, sympathetic victim and all of the other big name Christians as greedy, selfish, shitbags. I generally think Jessica Chastain is fantastic, but I have a particular hang-up about actors doing "impersonations" rather than acting. So I guess she's good here, but I wouldn't have thought it Oscar-worthy (but the Academy loves bio-pics).

Watched CODA last night. It's really good, but not great. The deaf actor playing the father deserved the Oscar, but I don't think this was really Best Picture worthy. The plot seemed bog-standard and predictable, but it was the nuance and details added by having deaf central characters that made it interesting. There were a lot of scenes with the deaf cursing or using vulgarity that felt like a showy flex-- "See! Deaf people can be crude, too!" I'm not bothered by coarse language at all, it just seemed heavy handed (can I use that metaphor about sign language?).
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, DarthJoJo

More
13 Apr 2022 11:47 #332270 by RobertB
I'm not a musical fan, but I like My Fair Lady. I guess I should watch Hamilton sometime. One day I had a coworker tell me, "I'm WFH today. Don't pester me from 10 AM until you hear from me, because I'm trying to get tickets to go see Hamilton in Cleveland." I think she did, too.

More
13 Apr 2022 12:41 #332272 by jpat

jason10mm wrote:

jpat wrote: See for Me (2021; dir Randall Okita) is a movie with a decent premise (visually impaired person needs help from an app-based service to "see" the home invaders she's faced with), but it's a muddled mess that left me questioning what the lead character, Sophie, was really up to.

I've not seen it yet, but isn't the film Don't Breathe basically this premise except the blind guy (Stephen Lang) turns out to be really really good at hunting down and killing the home invaders? It's on my watch list.

Don't Breathe (and presumably the sequel, which we haven't seen) is basically See for Me flipped, yes. The former has its own problems, but it's certainly better than See for Me.

More
13 Apr 2022 14:13 #332276 by the_jake_1973

Shellhead wrote:

I find it jarring when a character is speaking and abruptly breaks into song. I don't hate musicals, but the format feels uncanny to me.

If I make it to a meet up where you are, I will be sure to do this frequently. And with a dance number.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, dysjunct, Jackwraith, fightcitymayor, Gregarius, WadeMonnig

More
13 Apr 2022 16:50 - 13 Apr 2022 16:52 #332283 by ChristopherMD
"I'm moving all these armies into Irkutsk because I am the very model of a modern major-general..."
Last edit: 13 Apr 2022 16:52 by ChristopherMD.

More
13 Apr 2022 18:22 #332285 by Jackwraith

WadeMonnig wrote: Does this include Rocky Horror/Shock Treatment and Little Shop of Horrors?

I've never been a particular fan of Rocky Horror. It's OK, but now it really feels completely passé. Little Shop gets a bit of a pass for being a decent comedy SF film, of which there are fewer than most would think that actually have some quality; Galaxy Quest may be the best of them. But, even then, I probably would've been more interested in seeing more of Steve Martin as the dentist (in the more recent version) than hearing more singing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
14 Apr 2022 10:39 #332292 by ChristopherMD
Moonshot - Not to be confused with Moonfall. Also, this movie has nothing to do with the moon. The best way to explain the type of movie is it would make a good double-feature with the recent Love & Monsters. The main character is a goofy guy who works as an assistant to a robot barista and wants to move to Mars. Like L&M, this is nothing special but a pleasant enough movie with some genuinely funny bits.

More
14 Apr 2022 13:18 #332298 by jason10mm
I ought to watch Tammy Faye. Used to go to PTL back in the day just for their mile of Xmas lights display but damn, was that whole set up impressive.

Did they cover the Jessica Hahn stuff? That's about all I still remember other than the "I ran I to Tammy Faye" tshirts back in the day.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.655 seconds