October 09, 2023
2509 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2707 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
14 Apr 2022 14:15 #332303 by fightcitymayor

RobertB wrote: I'm not a musical fan, but I like My Fair Lady. I guess I should watch Hamilton sometime. One day I had a coworker tell me, "I'm WFH today. Don't pester me from 10 AM until you hear from me, because I'm trying to get tickets to go see Hamilton in Cleveland." I think she did, too.

Hamilton remains amazing. Also fascinating that it (along with Lin-Manuel Miranda) went from being every progressive person's Broadway wet dream to pariah status for the crime of not being progressive enough, all in 5 short years.

And if you enjoy Hamilton, consider the film version of 1776. An irreverent look at the signing of the Declaration Of Independence, replete with all manner of groovy late-60's counter-culture jokes & simmering anti-war, anti-slavery message. Also notable because Nixon wanted a particularly anti-rightwing song ('Cool, Cool, Considerate Men') removed from the film version, which (thanks to his friend Jack Warner) it was. BUT... the editor saved the footage (secretly, and against the demands of Jack Warner) which was eventually restored in the 2001 remastered version currently available.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2022 15:11 #332341 by Gregarius

jason10mm wrote: I ought to watch Tammy Faye. Used to go to PTL back in the day just for their mile of Xmas lights display but damn, was that whole set up impressive.

Did they cover the Jessica Hahn stuff? That's about all I still remember other than the "I ran I to Tammy Faye" tshirts back in the day.

They mention Hahn once, very briefly. There's a whole lot of double-standard nastiness when it comes to the extra-marital stuff. The movie is all about Tammy Faye, though, so all the Jim Bakker shenanigans is kinda backgrounded. They portray him as more of a grifter than a philanderer.

But they do have several vintage clips of all the Tammy Faye paraphernalia of the day, including the shirt you mention.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
16 Apr 2022 10:09 - 16 Apr 2022 10:10 #332352 by Jexik
Are we in some alternate universe where none of you have seen Everything Everywhere All At Once? Seems like the type of thing we’d be into over here. I liked it and thought it was super creative, but my girlfriend hated it, which made it hard for me to get excited afterwards.
Last edit: 16 Apr 2022 10:10 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, jpat, WadeMonnig

More
16 Apr 2022 13:35 #332353 by jay718
My son and I saw Everything Everywhere All at Once Thursday afternoon and we both loved it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
16 Apr 2022 13:54 #332354 by Jackwraith
Saw it. Was good. Haven't written anything on it yet because I didn't find it particularly inspiring. Entertaining? Yes. Transformative like Drive My Car? No. I'd definitely encourage people to see it because it has a number of great moments but for all of its overt messaging, it really felt kind of light to me.

More
16 Apr 2022 15:42 - 17 Apr 2022 00:51 #332356 by Cranberries
I connected with Everything Everywhere All At Once on such a personal level that I have been hesitant to share my experience of watching it. Wonderful, imperfect movie.
Last edit: 17 Apr 2022 00:51 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat

More
16 Apr 2022 20:56 #332357 by Shellhead
A couple of friends recommended Punch-Drunk Love 20 years ago with such passion that I mentally filed that recommendation with actual intent to see it some day. That day arrived today. The minutes flew by, despite the deliberately odd pacing, the disturbed soundtrack, and the surreal awkwardness of nearly every scene. The occasional moments of happiness or violence landed with transcendent clarity. Punch-Drunk Love is a weird, wry take-down of the rom-com and any other formulaic movie type. Adam Sandler surprised me with some real acting, and his talented co-stars included Philip Seymour Hoffman, Emily Watson, and Luiz Guzman. (Watson was also great in HBO's Chernobyl.) This is only my third Paul Thomas Anderson movie, but definitely not my last.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, sornars, BillyBobThwarton, n815e

More
17 Apr 2022 05:06 #332360 by Greg Aleknevicus
I've always felt that Punch Drunk Love was made when someone dared Paul Thomas Anderson to make a movie starring the "man-child with rage issues" character that defined Adam Sandler's early career.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Nodens

More
17 Apr 2022 05:55 #332361 by Nodens
Maybe I was in the wrong place at the time but Punch Drunk Love made me vow to never see anything with Adam Sandler in it ever again. I kept my promise to myself and am happy with the decision.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
17 Apr 2022 09:50 #332364 by Shellhead
I've never been a fan of Adam Sandler. I don't hate him, and I even enjoyed certain scenes in his other movies, but he seemed to have a limited range. Punch-Drunk Love played to his strengths but also pushed him outside his comfort zone, resulting in a good performance.

More
17 Apr 2022 09:54 - 17 Apr 2022 09:56 #332365 by charlest
I very much dislike Adam Sandler, but he's great in Punch Drunk Love.

I'm a big PTA fan. Curious which ones you've seen Shellhead. Magnolia is probably my favorite of the bunch, followed by There Will Be Blood and then Hard Eight.
Last edit: 17 Apr 2022 09:56 by charlest.

More
17 Apr 2022 11:43 - 17 Apr 2022 14:31 #332370 by Shellhead

charlest wrote: I very much dislike Adam Sandler, but he's great in Punch Drunk Love.

I'm a big PTA fan. Curious which ones you've seen Shellhead. Magnolia is probably my favorite of the bunch, followed by There Will Be Blood and then Hard Eight.

I've seen There Will Be Blood and Hard Eight. Magnolia is one I've been meaning to check out, but somehow I keep getting it mixed up with Steel Magnolias, which I definitely don't want to see.

EDIT: Forgot that I also saw Boogie Nights. Kind of a forgettable movie in some respects, but I loved the building tension in the scene that featured the song Jesse's Girl.
Last edit: 17 Apr 2022 14:31 by Shellhead.

More
18 Apr 2022 09:37 #332378 by RobertB
The Thing - still enjoyable. My wife had seen it once, ages ago, and had forgotten most of it. "Aww, they're trying to kill that dog!"

Alien - It's Alien.

Aliens: Director's Cut - A friend who is much more of a cinephile than I am lets me connect to his Plex. Which is good, because I haven't connected my Plex to our new (if 5-6 months old is new) TV. Early on I realized that I was watching footage heretofore unseen by me. I don't think it helped or hurt much, but hey, more Aliens!

Dredd - didn't feel like doing much last night, and YouTube offered up a clip from Dredd. I evidently watch too many violent movies. So I fired up Dredd, because a) I like it, and b) was wondering if my Plex was working. It was. Too bad it didn't do enough ticket sales to warrant a sequel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Msample, jason10mm, hotseatgames, sornars, DarthJoJo, n815e

More
18 Apr 2022 19:42 #332386 by jason10mm
Pre kids this ^^^^^ right here was a pretty damn good way to spend a rainy Saturday :p
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
18 Apr 2022 19:58 #332387 by jason10mm
All the Old Knives on Amazon. This is a classic 70's style slow burn character driven spy flick. Chris Pine, absolutely NAILING a distinguished salt and pepper beard, and Thandiwe Newton, proving vampires are real and can be seen on film, star as former lovers reunited when rumors of a mole (is there ever NOT a mole? ) resurface about a failed CIA OP they worked on together in years past.

No shooting, no car chases, not really any running even, just good acting and simmering tension. Alas I think the jumping around time line, designed to keep the viewer guessing till the end, makes it kinda confusing because all you really have to go on is the color of Pines beard and the length of Thandiwes hair to orient yourself to various periods. It feels like a covid film as there are rarely more than 2-3 characters on screen at once, giving a palpable sense of isolation to many scenes.

But it holds together well enough in the end and is a suitable film for a few glasses of wine and adult company.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo, n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.636 seconds