October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2702 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
06 Jul 2022 10:35 #334052 by RobertB

Shellhead wrote: Never underestimate the power of a good name. Miles Teller is a good name because it is distinctive and yet easy to say. This is why mediocre indie bands often get way more attention than they deserve, especially on Pitchfork.

cf. Grateful Dead. Coming from Black Sabbath at age 15 and finding out that the Grateful Dead was what it was turned out to be a severe disappointment for me. Still not a fan, and still think that it was a tremendous waste of an awesome name.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75, Ancient_of_MuMu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2022 11:01 #334054 by Shellhead

RobertB wrote:

Shellhead wrote: Never underestimate the power of a good name. Miles Teller is a good name because it is distinctive and yet easy to say. This is why mediocre indie bands often get way more attention than they deserve, especially on Pitchfork.

cf. Grateful Dead. Coming from Black Sabbath at age 15 and finding out that the Grateful Dead was what it was turned out to be a severe disappointment for me. Still not a fan, and still think that it was a tremendous waste of an awesome name.

I was thinking of indie band names like My Morning Jacket, Grizzly Bear, and Father John Misty. But I did see the Grateful Dead in concert when I was 19, and I was disappointed. Truckin' was a good song, and everything else was just mediocre jamming. Interesting crowd, though, and someone offered to sell me acid. They staged their big comeback a few years later. I only later came to appreciate the Dead via Deadicated, an excellent compilation of other bands covering Grateful Dead songs, including Suzanne Vega, Lyle Lovett, and Jane's Addiction.

More
06 Jul 2022 13:24 #334063 by Legomancer
Cracker's Kerosene Hat album is an all-timer but it contains a Grateful Dead cover ("Loser") that is just dead weight.

More
09 Jul 2022 21:41 #334146 by ChristopherMD
Thor: Love & Thunder - Not as good as Ragnarok but I hold that MCU movie in high regard. Natalie finally put a good performance into a Thor movie. Bale was fantastic as usual. The end battle was definitely something different.

More
10 Jul 2022 13:48 #334153 by jason10mm
ThorL+T was fun but REALLY dumb. Maybe I was not in the right head space for that particular blend of slapstick and drama. Lots of jokes hit, but a TON missed for me.

I wish they could have spent more time developing Mighty Thor as a God being. I feel like there is a really cool story in there about the parallels between Gorr with the necroblade and Jane with Mjolnir that was completely shucked for some yeehaws and audience pandering.

More
12 Jul 2022 01:39 #334177 by Gary Sax
For somewhat inexplicable reasons I watched the new Dune. I thought it was good but I don't have a ton of affection for the book. If anything, I think the source material is what lets this film down. I think the director has such a good eye for CGI's unreality and exploiting it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Nodens

More
12 Jul 2022 14:04 #334183 by Msample
I think overall the new DUNE movie is good, with a solid cast for the most part. I still have my doubts about the actors playing Paul and Chani, but the rest of the cast makes up for it. I did think they spent too much time on the Duncan Idaho character at the expense of other members of the Atreides household.

Looking forward to Christopher Walken as the Emperor in Part 2.

"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more spice ! "
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, stormseeker75, Nodens

More
13 Jul 2022 12:12 - 13 Jul 2022 12:14 #334201 by Gregarius
If you haven't heard of it yet, then you owe it to yourself to watch RR R. It's a Baliwood action movie on Netflix that is wonderfully over-the-top in all the right ways. It's incredibly violent, but mostly shies away from being graphic; it's got tons of CGI animals that look good enough; it's got a dance-off in the middle that's amazing; and of course, the action scenes almost defy description.

It's three hours of constant movement, and I was smiling in anticipation the whole time. What are they going to do next!?

Edit: Oh yeah, I almost forgot the incredibly one-dimensional, evil, moustache-twirling British villains, who are there just to be hated.
Last edit: 13 Jul 2022 12:14 by Gregarius.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, sornars, Nodens, DarthJoJo

More
13 Jul 2022 12:59 #334204 by Disgustipater
It’s also 3 hours long. After the climactic rescue scene I realized I still had and hour and a half to go and I petered out on it.

More
15 Jul 2022 09:56 #334262 by RobertB
There's a ton of stuff I haven't watched yet, so I decided to watch Thunderball again. It drags a little bit in spots, and fifty-some-odd years later that 60's vibe has some rough patches, but it's my favorite Bond movie. I've got a serious crush on Fiona Volpe - IMO it was a moviemaking crime to kill her off. And sharks, even without frickin' laser beams on their heads, are still cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
15 Jul 2022 14:21 #334268 by ratpfink

Legomancer wrote: Saturday night I drank beer and watched Star Wars and ordered tons of shit online. It was a good evening.

I maintain: the optimum order for watching the SW movies are:

Eh, I would start with the one where they try to blow up the death star.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
16 Jul 2022 07:16 #334283 by DarthJoJo
Found something I can tolerate doing with my father-in-law: watching Netflix and not talking to one another. Michael Jai White’s Blood and Bone is mostly a small-budget done right. It finds interesting sets and tells the supporting cast to go big in contrast to White’s quiet stoicism. It even develops the lead villain a lot more than most films of this class.

Unfortunately, strangely enough, the fight scenes, which are supposed to be the draw, are the weakest part of the movie. Not in some Taken way where everything is cut to pieces and it’s a struggle to tell what’s happening, but they’re just not that interesting. All but two brief action scenes are underground street fights, limiting their creativity, and White straight dominates every opponent, sapping the scenes of any tension. Disappointing.

Also saw Guy Ritchie’s The Gentlemen. It’s a Guy Ritchie film. The cast is enormous and loving it, criminals make plans just to see them crumble, people talk too much, and people die. It’s amusing and hollow and delights in hyper masculinity and violence. He’s actually everything people accuse Tarantino of being. This one has pretensions of being something more, framing the first three quarters as a pitch meeting for a movie, but it really doesn’t matter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
16 Jul 2022 11:14 #334288 by ChristopherMD
Last night I watched Jurassic World 3 Dominion for some reason. Shortly afterwards I received a text from a friend who also watched it. He said he had no idea what it was actually about. I realized I also have no idea what it was about. That about sums up JW3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, sornars

More
16 Jul 2022 11:26 #334289 by Disgustipater
We watched all three Jurassic World movies in two days about a month ago, so I'm pretty sure I was able to follow the plot, but now I don't remember a single thing about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
16 Jul 2022 22:06 #334292 by Sagrilarus
It wasn’t about dinosaurs eating people?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.549 seconds