October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
16 Jul 2022 22:18 #334293 by ChristopherMD

Sagrilarus wrote: It wasn’t about dinosaurs eating people?

LOL, definitely not. It had an evil corp where 3 out of 4 employee characters are actually on the good side. Their plot was giant locusts destroying the world that can only be stopped by a not quite cloned girl. Nothing to do with dinos.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2022 23:18 - 16 Jul 2022 23:27 #334294 by Cranberries
I've been watching westerns lately. I watched the original 3:10 to Yuma which was surprisingly good. I've checked out the sequel but haven't gotten to watching it yet.

I also saw Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) the other night. It's supposed to be the best western ever, but it just felt kind of cartoonish and dumb, and uncomfortably rape-y. I didn't hate it, but it didn't feel like IMDB 8.5 material. Sure, it was visually interesting, and the score was great, but I guess I'm not a sophisticated enough filmgoer to appreciate its charms.

When I create links the site keeps putting the URL in the link text. Am I doing something wrong?

[Wrote this while listening to Superfly Pete's looping guitar solo on Instagram]
Last edit: 16 Jul 2022 23:27 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Nodens

More
17 Jul 2022 10:39 #334301 by jason10mm

Cranberries wrote: I also saw Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) the other night. It's supposed to be the best western ever after Silverado, but it just felt kind of cartoonish and dumb, and uncomfortably rape-y. I didn't hate it, but it didn't feel like IMDB 8.5 material. Sure, it was visually interesting, and the score was great, but I guess I'm not a sophisticated enough filmgoer to appreciate its charms.

There, FTFY :P

I hold up Silverado as everything great about Westerns and damn near everything you WANT to see in a Western distilled into a single viewing experience.

More
17 Jul 2022 10:50 #334302 by Jackwraith
Hm. I dunno. I don't think there's any way to hold up anything as THE perfect Western anymore than there is a way to say THE perfect comedy or THE perfect noir. I like Silverado because I like Lawrence Kasdan (spoke at my college graduation, in fact) but it's also very slickly produced and "clean." I tend to like my Westerns a little grittier because I grew up with Eastwood and Leone. That doesn't mean I think Unforgiven is THE best Western. Far from it. (I actually think the film drags in a few areas.) But it also means that I tend to think of Silverado as being closer to things like John Ford (The Searchers, etc.) or Bonanza, which is a segment of the genre that I have very little interest in. In that respect, CB, I'd be much more prone to laud the remake of 3:10 to Yuma than the original, although the latter isn't a bad film.

More
17 Jul 2022 10:59 #334303 by the_jake_1973
It is common knowledge that Tombstone is the best western ever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, RobertB, Cranberries, SebastianBludd, stormseeker75

More
17 Jul 2022 11:00 #334304 by hotseatgames
The best western also happens to be my favorite movie of all time, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

More
17 Jul 2022 12:15 #334305 by charlest

hotseatgames wrote: The best western also happens to be my favorite movie of all time, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

Agreed. This and The Wild Bunch are my picks for best Western.

Also, the opening scene of Once Upon a Time in the West is amazing.

More
17 Jul 2022 20:04 #334310 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Why am I the only person in the world who thinks Young Guns 2 is the greatest western of all time? (genuinely serious about that, I really love it).

Saw Thor: Love and Thunder on the weekend. I know it is getting mixed reviews but it is probably my second favourite Phase 4 movie after Spiderman (and possibly may hold up better in the long run than that). It is stupid dumb fun, taking away all the seriousness and pretentiousness of superhero movies and just having fun with the concept of a big dumb powerful guy. It is like a parody of Thor, similar in tone to Sergio Aragones "Groo" comics. Don't expect a think piece, expect dumb fun and hopefully you will have it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, ChristopherMD, vegasrobb

More
17 Jul 2022 21:54 #334312 by charlest
I think Young Guns is better than 2, although it's a solid sequel. I'd go as far as to say both those films are among Keifer Sutherland and Emilio Estevez's best work. Lou Diamond Phillips and Christian Slater are fantastic as well, but I'd pick other films of theirs for their individual best performances.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
17 Jul 2022 22:07 #334313 by ChristopherMD
I could watch any western any time I want but the only one I watch at least once a year is Once Upon a Time in the West. When it needs to talk it talks and when it needs to play it plays.

More
18 Jul 2022 08:25 #334314 by stormseeker75
That Jurassic Park movie was the drizzling shits. It was an excuse to get the whole history of JP in one movie and then turn it into a garbage story about an evil bio-corp. Just hot trash. I was drunk and high. Still trash.

We watched Old, the newest M. Night Shyamalan movie. It was fine. Genuinely weird. I was interested in the twist. It was/wasn't the one I was expecting. Entertaining enough if you like his movies. Towards the bottom of the list, but far better than The Nothing is Happening and Signs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
18 Jul 2022 14:25 #334315 by Shellhead
I have been watching all the James Bond movies in order, but I am feeling burned out and I am only midway through Octopussy. I have never been a big fan of James Bond, and only saw one of these movies in the theater (The Spy Who Loved Me). So I hadn't even seen some of these movies before. Based on the ones that I have seen before, I am dreading the Dalton movies and looking forward to Goldeneye and the Craig movies.

More
18 Jul 2022 14:40 #334317 by Gregarius
I agree with Jackwraith's comments about Silverado being too "clean," but it's still a great film.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is probably the best Western, but since that's not how we're playing this game, I will say shame on all of you for not even mentioning what is actually the greatest Western of all time: Rio Bravo.

I'm sad to say I haven't seen Once Upon a Time in the West. I think I'll remedy that this weekend.

More
18 Jul 2022 15:08 #334319 by Msample

Shellhead wrote: I have been watching all the James Bond movies in order, but I am feeling burned out and I am only midway through Octopussy. I have never been a big fan of James Bond, and only saw one of these movies in the theater (The Spy Who Loved Me). So I hadn't even seen some of these movies before. Based on the ones that I have seen before, I am dreading the Dalton movies and looking forward to Goldeneye and the Craig movies.

Yeah you are def at the low point of the franchise; an aging Roger Moore followed by Timothy Dalton's too short and too serious stint.

More
18 Jul 2022 15:18 #334322 by DarthJoJo
The Outfit on Peacock. Mark Rylance is a cutter (NOT a tailor) who takes dead drops for a mob. Things escalate when his shop becomes a safe house when the boss’ son is dragged in with a bullet in his belly and the hunt begins for the rat.

It’s inessential but well crafted. There are no weak performances and engaging throughout. Worst part is probably the pun of the title.

Could be a solid little play as there are only nine parts and a single set.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.533 seconds