October 09, 2023
2511 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2708 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
11 Sep 2022 23:47 #335512 by RobertB

mtagge wrote: Thor Love and Thunder dropped on Disney+

It's. . . not the worst Thor movie out there. . .

Same here, saw it Friday. Got a few laughs out of it. I've seen worse, but I've definitely seen better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtagge

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2022 09:57 - 12 Sep 2022 09:57 #335515 by Nodens
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is annoying on so many levels. Do I somehow think if Raimi had not made it, it would have been even worse? Nah, not really. We've come too far, it's probably impossible to make an MCU movie that I will love at this point.
The actors do an ok job, it looks ok in a phoned-in overcompensation of CGI with no discernible art direction way. But the story isn't just boring and does not make any sense (even for the low bar of a Marvel story), it actually is insulting. What the writers did to the Scarlet Witch character is deplorable.
When a group of undercuddled man-babies thinks
Warning: Spoiler!
will be so so edgy and nobody talks them out of it, you have a problem.

The real problem, at least for Marvel: my 14-year old agrees to all of this.

Last edit: 12 Sep 2022 09:57 by Nodens.

More
12 Sep 2022 17:56 #335518 by mtagge
Okay, I think I know what I dislike about Thor L&T. It's like a stoner made it and every five minutes was like, "wouldn't it be hilarious if we did X!" The plot line isn't bad

It reminds me of Lucas' direction of Phantom Menace. "Wouldn't it be funny if Jar Jar stepped in shit!" "Wouldn't it be funny if Jar Jar got his head caught in the podracer engine stream and couldn't talk properly!" Wouldn't it be funny if they were chased by a fish, it was eaten by a bigger fish, which is eaten by a bigger fish, which is eaten by a bigger fish, which is eaten by an even bigger fish!"

Well Thor L&T was filled with that stuff.
It's stoner stuff. It's like watching a movie full of inside jokes. Sure some of them might be funny on their own, but for a whole movie it's tiring.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, lj1983, sornars

More
12 Sep 2022 18:06 #335519 by ChristopherMD
The goats were continually awesome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ancient_of_MuMu

More
12 Sep 2022 23:12 #335526 by dysjunct
Netflix documentary, GET SMART WITH MONEY.

There’s a lot of fairly financially sophisticated people here, so I doubt most of y’all will find a lot new. But it’s a great documentary to forward to your spendthrift friends and family. There is one cringy offhand comment where a financial coach recommends that an artist look into NFTs. In fairness the footage was probably shot over a year ago before it was widely known how much of a scam they are. But still. If you can look past that then there’s a lot of solid and actionable advice that will help a lot of people.

It is a pretty sad commentary on society that the following is seen as radical and/or preposterous:
- spend less than you earn
- don’t spend money on stuff that brings only temporary happiness
- don’t buy things on credit because it’s crazy expensive in the long run
- invest in low cost index funds instead of trying to outsmart professional stock pickers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, jason10mm

More
13 Sep 2022 09:13 #335530 by jason10mm
Well, given the example our federal government gives us, is it any wonder folks think they can spend their way out of debt? :P

More
13 Sep 2022 11:24 #335534 by jpat
Barbarian made a bit of a splash in an extremely weak weekend box office, and it's really quite good and a bit audacious for a first-time feature director. According to a podcast about the movie I listened to last night, the director wants to do a movie in the Batman universe. That's just so cliche at this point--turning a second-time director loose on a franchise only to bust their chops continuously--that I wonder why anyone would want to do it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
13 Sep 2022 11:39 #335535 by Jackwraith

jason10mm wrote: Well, given the example our federal government gives us, is it any wonder folks think they can spend their way out of debt? :P

This is always an utterly non-sensical response. Governments are neither consumer credit cards nor checking accounts. The frame of reference is entirely disparate. Anyone concerned about government debt and especially American government debt either doesn't know what they're talking about or is lying to serve an agenda (typically targeted at THOSE PEOPLE.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Cranberries, lj1983

More
14 Sep 2022 23:15 #335556 by Gregarius

jpat wrote: Barbarian made a bit of a splash in an extremely weak weekend box office, and it's really quite good and a bit audacious for a first-time feature director.

I saw it last night and liked it. It has a lot of callbacks and references to other movies, yet still managed to feel unique. I'm curious if the interview revealed why they titled it Barbarian? It doesn't really make sense.

More
14 Sep 2022 23:28 #335557 by n815e

invest in low cost index funds instead of trying to outsmart professional stock pickers

Even better, people that invest in low cost index funds will outperform professional stock pickers over the long term.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Msample

More
15 Sep 2022 00:17 #335558 by RobertB
Margin Call is the best finance movie you've never heard of.

More
17 Sep 2022 21:07 #335622 by hotseatgames
I just watched Morbius on Netflix, mainly out of MORBid curiosity, and what little I have read of Morbius comics, I liked.

This movie was either written by a child, or an AI that was fed plot points much like an image generator. I'm not kidding, EVERY single "twist", I called it out immediately, only to be proven right. So formulaic, if anyone has seen more than 3 films this will seem old hat.

I expected it to be bad. It was worse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, lj1983, stormseeker75, sornars

More
17 Sep 2022 21:19 #335623 by dysjunct
Sounds like I have a new assignment for drunken live tweeting, hot on the heels of AMERICAN NINJA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, jason10mm

More
19 Sep 2022 08:12 #335639 by stormseeker75
Morbius is so bad that it's glorious in how bad it is. Do you think they knew it when filming? It shit the bed financially. Imagine if this had come out during Rona season.

More
19 Sep 2022 09:56 #335643 by Shellhead
Made the mistake of watching A Return to Salem's Lot, which upheld the long tradition of bad movies based on Stephen King stories. The opening scene was completely surprising, at it had nothing to do with vampires or New England but served as a memorable introduction to the protagonist. Everything after that scene was disappointing. The movie had one great idea, which was to lure a respected anthropologist into a community of vampires so that he could document their society and write a book about it. Sadly, the only novel aspect of the vampire society was that vampire children got married in formal wedding ceremonies. About halfway through the movie, I put it on mute and left the room to do some housecleaning. I only let the movie play on so that it would completely disappear from my queue of movies to watch. On Rotten Tomatoes, it scored 33% with the 3 reviewers, and 24% with the audience.

Then I re-watched the first Austin Powers movie. I've seen it twice before, so nearly all the jokes fell flat this time. Elizabeth Hurley is nice to look at, and I always enjoy the battle with the FemBots, featuring I Touch Myself by the Divinyls.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.556 seconds