October 09, 2023
2497 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2699 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
05 Jan 2023 11:15 #337740 by sornars
I agree that the world building in John Wick elevates the series but it also drags it down because the more they reveal the less mysterious it becomes. The first movie was mysterious, by the third all of the secret society bits felt like a cartoon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2023 15:02 #337742 by Legomancer
I enjoyed the first John Wick movie a lot, so much that I never had any desire to see the others. It did what it did really well and it didn't seem like more would add anything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, sornars

More
07 Jan 2023 15:57 #337755 by jason10mm
Yeah, the assassin stuff in Wick really lets it down. Any of these shows that have a heavy bureaucratic element full of phone operators, report filing, and a tome of "rules thou mustith not breakith" is just.....sheesh. That vampire flick with Jamie Foxx was similar, as are a dozen other Wick rip offs. I feel like The Professional hit at about the right level of assassin society, maybe La Femme Nikita though maybe those guys were government sponsored, the OG film, the Bridgette one, and the TV show are all jumbled in my head now.

My other problem with Wick, and it is minor, is that there is just....and it pains me to even type it, too much gunplay. I feel like a better film would space out the intricate gun choreography more instead of like 7 sequential dog takedowns followed by a point blank shot to the face.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
07 Jan 2023 20:25 #337760 by dysjunct
Finally got around to seeing GLASS ONION. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I will watch Daniel Craig chew scenery in a Foghorn Leghorn accent any time. Great cast, fun story.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, sornars

More
07 Jan 2023 21:07 #337762 by hotseatgames
I showed my son a classic last night, They Live. I had not seen it in years and am happy to report that it holds up. The story of the wealthy elite fucking over the working class.... yeah, still relevant.

Sure, the effects are simplistic today, and the death scenes are pretty tame, but it still has the best fist fight ever put to film.

My son loved it. I have raised him with an appreciation of John Carpenter. :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, ChristopherMD, Msample, Jackwraith, mezike, jason10mm, sornars, Gregarius, Nodens

More
11 Jan 2023 23:18 #337797 by hotseatgames
Watched a horrible Lance Henriksen movie on Tubi, called Harbinger Down. It's a really sad attempt at The Thing, but with none of what made The Thing great.

A crabbing boat in Alaska pulls something out of the ice... hey let's thaw this thing out. What could go wrong?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
12 Jan 2023 07:59 #337798 by Legomancer
Finally watched Everything Everywhere All At Once last night. I loved it, but it left me an emotional wreck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
12 Jan 2023 19:10 #337813 by Ancient_of_MuMu

hotseatgames wrote: I showed my son a classic last night, They Live. I had not seen it in years and am happy to report that it holds up. The story of the wealthy elite fucking over the working class.... yeah, still relevant.

Sure, the effects are simplistic today, and the death scenes are pretty tame, but it still has the best fist fight ever put to film.

My son loved it. I have raised him with an appreciation of John Carpenter. :D

I love They Live but I always fast forward through the alleyway fight. That is self indulgent and boring as hell.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
12 Jan 2023 20:03 #337814 by hotseatgames
I don't know how to process that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Msample, Gregarius

More
12 Jan 2023 20:45 #337815 by n815e
I snuck in a late night viewing of Spine of Night, a recent, rotoscope-animated, fantasy movie. I was so tired, I caught myself falling asleep multiple times. I thought it was decent or possibly good, and at some point I want to revisit it when I’m not exhausted.

More
13 Jan 2023 11:07 #337818 by Shellhead
Amazon Prime has the Indiana Jones movies right now. I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark, and it was still delightful. Last night, I got halfway through Temple of Doom and needed a break. It's a deliberately annoying movie and Kate Capshaw is the most annoying part. This was the pinnacle of her career and not even her husband Steven Spielberg felt obligated to use her in any of his subsequent movies. Capshaw was a big step down in quality from the delightful Karen Allen of Raiders. I'm still looking forward to The Last Crusade but have no intention of re-watching Crystal Skull, because I loathe Shia LeBeouf.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
13 Jan 2023 15:14 #337820 by Gregarius
Shia LeBoef is the least of the problems with Crystal Skull.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, dysjunct, ChristopherMD

More
13 Jan 2023 18:00 #337824 by Gary Sax
Temple of Doom is such a mean spirited, nasty movie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
13 Jan 2023 19:33 - 13 Jan 2023 21:10 #337827 by ChristopherMD
Pale Blue Eye - Edgar Allan Poe and Batman solve a mystery together. A long, boring, blandly filmed mystery.
Last edit: 13 Jan 2023 21:10 by ChristopherMD.

More
13 Jan 2023 21:03 #337828 by Not Sure
We just rewatched the Jones films with my sons (they're late teen-early adult now).

I was surprised how annoyed I was with the Last Crusade. A lot of that movie basically hangs on pure slapstick more than "adventure". The writing in it is very lazy in a profoundly late 80s way.

Really only the first one matters at all to me anymore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, mezike, hotseatgames, sornars, Gregarius, Nodens, Dive-Dive-Dive!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.066 seconds