October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2702 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
23 May 2023 16:27 - 24 May 2023 17:06 #339417 by Cranberries
I finally watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood on Youtube for $4. It was an interesting period piece that dragged a little and had an interesting ending. I honestly can't tell if Quentin Tarantino is a genius or kind of self-indulgent. Brad Pitt did a great job and was fun to watch. I was born in San Jose in the 1960s, so there were some evocative scenes that I enjoyed. I liked Rick Dalton's line about growing more useless with each passing day. Relatable.

Last edit: 24 May 2023 17:06 by Cranberries.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2023 16:53 #339418 by hotseatgames

Cranberries wrote: I honestly can't tell if Quentin Tarantino is a genius or kind of self-indulgent.

I think he's both. I enjoyed the film, but I wouldn't put it among his best.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Msample, Jackwraith, trif, sornars

More
23 May 2023 17:38 #339419 by Jackwraith
Echo what hotseat said. Pulp Fiction was a transformative work that could earn the title genius. A lot of what's happened since then could be filed under the "doing this because *I* think it's cool" approach, although there are some high points amidst those later films, as well. I thought Once Upon trended a lot more toward the latter than the former.

dichotomouspurity.blogspot.com/2019/07/h...ack-of-interest.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, jason10mm, hotseatgames, sornars

More
24 May 2023 11:53 #339436 by Cranberries
Yes, that's a good review. "languid" is the perfect word to describe it.

"And there is a message here; of transition, of social transformation, and of the continued presence of violence in all of it. But what's missing is anything particularly memorable about the film."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
24 May 2023 16:18 #339441 by dysjunct
So I watched the D&D movie last night and .. "meh." It was better than the Irons/Birch version, but it was a weird combination of rote, rushed, and too long. I thought the banter was the right tone, and I liked the various easter eggs throughout. But it was basically a mid- to low-tier Marvel movie in quality. Fine, I guess. I'd watch a sequel, but whereas with this one, I was debating seeing it in the theater, but I'd definitely wait for streaming for any sequel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Jackwraith, sornars

More
24 May 2023 23:20 #339450 by Greg Aleknevicus
I watched the latest Dungeons & Dragons movie -- rarely have I seen something so lacking in weight, in gravitas, in absolutely every aspect of its being.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
26 May 2023 05:12 #339461 by Nodens
It's been family feud week here, with a quick succession of Homefront and (as a recommendation for a better feud) Shotgun Stories. Homefront (with Jason Statham) is not a recommendation. It has one or two things going for it - Winona Ryder and a script trying to depict how real people actually behave, but then Statham doing Statham things shouldn't be in it. Maybe he turned up on the wrong set by accident and everybody just rolled with it?
Shotgun Stories (with Michael Shannon) otoh is a friggin' Masterpiece. Consider being raised with your three brothers by a dry alcoholic who turned to God and left three other boys behind when he started his new life. Imagine those three 'dogs' turning up at his funeral. All these clueless victims of shitty behaviour stumble around Arkansas like forces of nature, it's astonishing.
Statham has the biggest truck in the whole town, and everybody hates him for it. Money and class are quite an issue in both films.

More
26 May 2023 08:28 #339463 by charlest
I love Shotgun Stories. Can't find anyone who has ever heard of it, much less seen it.

Just perfect atmosphere throughout. Mud is almost as good, but not quite (same director).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
01 Jun 2023 11:02 - 01 Jun 2023 11:02 #339527 by Shellhead
I'm not a big fan of old movies. I tend to find them slow-paced, overly talkative, and corny. I really hated Citizen Kane and couldn't even finish it. On the other hand, I loved Seven Samurai. Anyway, I finally decided to watch Lawrence of Arabia (1962), despite the runtime of 3.5 hours. I broke my viewing into two separate evenings because of the runtime, only to discover just minutes into the second night that the movie included a five-minute intermission with black screen and the theme song playing.

Lawrence of Arabia is an amazing movie, especially for its time. The pacing is good, there is character development, great acting, some action, some big ideas, and it is all based on historical events. Peter O'Toole plays the role of a lifetime as T.E. Lawrence, a British army officer who served as a liaison to Arab forces who revolted against the occupying forces of the Ottoman Empire during the Great War. As played by O'Toole, Lawrence is a complex character: intellectual, idealistic, bold, soft-spoken, charismatic, arrogant, tough, and yet mentally fragile. Filmed on location in the Mideast, with otherworldly terrain and sandstorms. Alec Guinness, Omar Sharif, Anthony Quinn, and Claude Rains also deliver fine performances. However, the movie spectacularly fails the Bechdel test. Women are only glimpsed in the distance, entirely peripheral to this story of war and peace.
Last edit: 01 Jun 2023 11:02 by Shellhead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith, sornars

More
01 Jun 2023 12:17 #339529 by Jackwraith

Shellhead wrote: I'm not a big fan of old movies. I tend to find them slow-paced, overly talkative, and corny.

A friend's 10-year-old daughter a few years back, watching Gone With the Wind for the first time: "There sure are a lot of cliches in this movie!"

Totally agree on Lawrence of Arabia. It's a great film and It's O'Toole's greatest role. (Thought he did really well in the Masada TV series in the early 80s, as Lucius Flavius Silva (across from Peter Strauss as Eleazar Ben Ya'ir), though.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

More
01 Jun 2023 12:45 #339530 by Msample

Shellhead wrote: I'm not a big fan of old movies. I tend to find them slow-paced, overly talkative, and corny.

Depends on the movie of course. One thing I loathe about far too many modern movies is the frenetic nature of editing; its refreshing watching older movies where directors aren't afraid to pan a camera, linger on a shot, or shoot an action scene that doesn't feature a cut every single fucking second to hide shoddy stunt work or give the allusion of fast pace, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, sornars, n815e, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
01 Jun 2023 19:48 - 01 Jun 2023 19:49 #339542 by ChristopherMD
Here are my top five old movies not counting westerns.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954)
The Time Machine (1960)
Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
The Great Escape (1963)
Dr Strangelove (1964)

If they don't seem old its because you're old.

Don't get me wrong. Citizen Kane is a masterpiece. But I've seen it a couple times and listened to Roger Eberts commentary so feel that I'm done with it. Same with things like Casablanca. Its not that their too old, its that my tastes lie with stuff like the above.
Last edit: 01 Jun 2023 19:49 by ChristopherMD.

More
01 Jun 2023 20:37 #339546 by Jackwraith
If we're talking pre-1965 as the arbitrary date of "old", I think all of my favorites are by Akira Kurosawa and the Marx Brothers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, n815e

More
04 Jun 2023 23:06 #339582 by Cranberries
I saw The Great Escape when I was about eight years old and all I can remember is one terribly sad scene burned into my consciousness. I'll have to rewatch it.

More
05 Jun 2023 12:35 #339585 by jason10mm
Miles Morales and the Spiderverse or whatever that second animated miles spiderman movie is actually called is FANTASTIC. Still has that low frame rate jank feel but wow, they upped the neon colors and effects to 12. The hyperkinetic stuff feels so good as animation, when they try to do this stuff live action it just looks fake (which it is) so I'm glad we get to see a real spiderman at this level. I'm actually very surprised where wasn't an extended seizure warning before the film though, after seeing it on any TV show with even a microsecond of strobing, this film LIVES to hit you in the face with zany visuals.

Very astute deconstruction of the spiderman comic mythology as well. My kid just liked the fights, but there is a very deep critique of what makes a comic book character work and both praise and judgement about how comics in general, and spidey in particular, is treated across time. This second film is really more about Gwen though, and she delivers in spades. Can't wait for part 3, march 24 supposedly.

This is a GREAT fathers days film, BTW. For once the dads in the film are actual heroes who don't exist just to be an abusive driving force, a dead driving force, or a foil for the snarky teen character, but get to be REAL DADS with all that entails.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Shellhead, ChristopherMD, mezike, sornars, DarthJoJo

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.626 seconds