October 09, 2023
2482 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
24 Jul 2015 09:52 #206904 by Black Barney
You didn't like Basterds?!?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2015 10:01 #206908 by Mr. White
It was ok, but it's something you have to pay attention to. Not a good movie to see for the first time while also trying to paint some minis.

Expendables 3 was garbage.

If I put on Two Towers I could have just listened along while I played with the little men.

More
24 Jul 2015 10:12 #206912 by Black Barney
yeah, Expendables is terrible. You're right about Basterds, you have to be totally engaged to watch it. It's incredibly stressful to watch and you really want to be feeling the tension in some of those scenes. Love that flick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
24 Jul 2015 10:23 #206914 by hotseatgames
Watched Dale and Tucker vs. Evil. Perhaps Tucker and Dale, I don't remember. This film had a couple of minor laughs in it, but for the most part it fell flat for me. The whole thing is held together with a "this is all one big misunderstanding" plot that wasn't even novel back when Three's Company did it every week.

More
24 Jul 2015 10:28 #206916 by Motorik
I'm kind of mixed on Inglorious Basterds, but I do think the entire sequence in the tavern is perhaps the best thing Tarantino's done to date. The writing is incredible (there are so many layers of delicious awkwardness in that scene) and, as a language nerd, I love how everything in that scene hinges on languages and accents.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikecl

More
24 Jul 2015 10:34 #206919 by Black Barney
the first time I sat through the tavern scene, I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

After repeated viewings, the opening sequence is my favourite. Waltz is just perfectly terrifying there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motorik

More
24 Jul 2015 12:21 #206942 by Ancient_of_MuMu

Mr. White wrote: Expendables 3 was garbage.

I went to school with quite a few people who have achieved some degree of fame in the arts (like Rahda Mitchell from Pitch Black) and Patrick Hughes, the director of Expendables 3, was one of them. Even though he was a few years below me in my brother's year I knew him through various drama projects and he is a really nice guy. What he has achieved so far doesn't surprise me in that he understood what was cool but could never execute things to the fullest. I really like the idea behind his attempt to transfer the western genre to Australia in "Red Hill", but in the end in spite of me wanting to like the film because I know the director and like the concept, I have to concede it is a weak 7.

My brother ran into him and another school friend who has had a moderately successful tv acting career in a bar about a year before he got Expendables 3 and said that he was still well grounded and happy to chat, unlike his friend who was a bit full of himself and trying to ditch my brother so he could attract women (though I ran into that other friend around the same time and he was great, but I suspect that was because your relationship with people from your school days stays frozen in time and I was still that older cool guy who could supply alcohol). I have been intrigued as to whether he would still be the same laid back Pat after hanging out with and directing Stallone and co, and from interviews he does seem to be.

In spite of all that I have zero interest in seeing Expendables 3.

More
24 Jul 2015 12:52 #206947 by ChristopherMD
The only good thing in Expendables 3 was Antonio Banderas. I wanted to give the guy a job.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
24 Jul 2015 13:03 #206948 by Michael Barnes
Inglourious Bastereds is great, but there is a weird dissonance between those INCREDIBLE dialogue scenes and then the more trashy, exploitation-y fare. Yeah, I know, that's a Tarantino thing and I get it...I've seen all the same movies he has, I get al the tonal references and homages.

But the thing is, when people sit down to talk in that movie it's ELECTRIFYING. The conversations in that film are some of the best ever written, and I don't think I've ever seen a film that builds suspense like that strictly with language, gesture, delivery and context. It's like a "verbal thriller". Of course the opening scene is extraordinary, but there are other scenes in it almost as good- like the scene in the restaurant where the audience is just thrown in this total loop- does he know who Shoshanna is or not? And then there's that unexpected bit about King Kong, in another incredibly tense scene involving a game, of all things.

But then you've got all of the other stuff, that isn't bad at all but it just sort of takes you away from those core scenes.

It's still a great film, and I'd be torn between it and Django Unchained as to which is Tarantino's best. Those two films are just miles ahead of anything else he's ever done, IMO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
24 Jul 2015 13:18 - 24 Jul 2015 13:40 #206951 by Mr. White

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote:

Mr. White wrote: Expendables 3 was garbage.

I went to school with quite a few people who have achieved some degree of fame in the arts (like Rahda Mitchell from Pitch Black) and Patrick Hughes, the director of Expendables 3, was one of them. Even though he was a few years below me in my brother's year I knew him through various drama projects and he is a really nice guy. What he has achieved so far doesn't surprise me in that he understood what was cool but could never execute things to the fullest. I really like the idea behind his attempt to transfer the western genre to Australia in "Red Hill", but in the end in spite of me wanting to like the film because I know the director and like the concept, I have to concede it is a weak 7.

My brother ran into him and another school friend who has had a moderately successful tv acting career in a bar about a year before he got Expendables 3 and said that he was still well grounded and happy to chat, unlike his friend who was a bit full of himself and trying to ditch my brother so he could attract women (though I ran into that other friend around the same time and he was great, but I suspect that was because your relationship with people from your school days stays frozen in time and I was still that older cool guy who could supply alcohol). I have been intrigued as to whether he would still be the same laid back Pat after hanging out with and directing Stallone and co, and from interviews he does seem to be.

In spite of all that I have zero interest in seeing Expendables 3.

To be honest, I wouldn't say the directing was the problem. I thought it was filmed fine for an action movie. It's the script and dialog that were terrible. I enjoyed the first two well enough, but outside of a few, very few, Snipes and Banderas parts there was nothing here.
Last edit: 24 Jul 2015 13:40 by Mr. White.

More
28 Jul 2015 11:59 #207283 by Green Lantern
If anyone needs a healthy dose of the warm & fuzzies go watch McFarland USA. You can thank me later. Damn good movie that completely caught me by surprise.

More
28 Jul 2015 12:31 #207288 by Michael Barnes
Nobody every told me that Hulu was such a hotbed for classic Japanimation. All that time and money wasted on Crunchyroll when what I really wanted was on Hulu.

Anyway, I've become sort of unhealthily obsessed with Space Adventure Cobra...it's one of those sort of foundational 1980s Japanese animated films but it's also one that has sort of dropped off in notoriety. Probably because it is so riotously dated. But it's also awesome. It's sort of a cross between Barbarella, Star Wars and Lupin III but with a massive, glammy dose of psychedelia. It makes almost no sense- it has that kind of "do what now" feeling like when you saw the original Vampire Hunter D movie and felt like you were only seeing a very small part of a larger story. But it's all good, Cobra's arm turns into a megabuster-like arm cannon, the bad guy is named Crystal Bowie and there's lots of fun space pirate action.

I never saw it back in the 80s or 90s...I always heard it was "bad", but it appears that people were wrong. Love it.

I just realized that they have the Cobra TV series too so I'm going to have to watch it too.

You know what movie really isn't any good at all? Predator.

More
28 Jul 2015 12:46 - 28 Jul 2015 12:46 #207294 by Shellhead

Michael Barnes wrote: You know what movie really isn't any good at all? Predator 2.

Fixed it for you.
Last edit: 28 Jul 2015 12:46 by Shellhead.

More
28 Jul 2015 13:04 #207299 by ChristopherMD
Insurgent - This movie has like 30% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I don't think its that bad. I still find the main character more interesting than Katniss. Kate Winslet played a good villain in this too. Had lots of cool visuals in the simulations. Also, wisely departed from the book and did its own thing. The third book sucked so have pretty low expectations for the next two films. Some more character moments for the supporting cast between action scenes would have helped here. I give it a 7.

More
28 Jul 2015 13:59 #207305 by Black Barney
How was Divergent?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.097 seconds