October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2699 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
21 Mar 2019 08:11 #294166 by Ah_Pook

BillyBobThwarton wrote: I am looking to buy a copy of Merchant of Venus. The only 2 places I know to look right now would be ebay and BGG market. Any words of advice on the BGG market such as mistakes to avoid?

Check feedback, if there's no feedback check how long the seller has been a member. If it's an old listing message the seller to see if it's still available. Message the seller for pictures or details if you feel it's warranted. Nothing crazy just your standard vetting process.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2019 17:44 #294377 by Ah_Pook
A local place had some boardgames on clearance, so I grabbed Space Base for $10. Seemed like a good grab.

More
24 Mar 2019 18:05 #294378 by Dr. Mabuse
Of late, I recently acquired Avalon Hill's Titan and Kremlin and picked up a cheap copy of Thunder Road. I'm currently non-plussed about recent game titles. I think I reached my boardgame threshold last year. I'm looking back more than looking forward at game titles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike, Colorcrayons

More
24 Mar 2019 19:03 #294379 by southernman
With three KSers coming at the end of the year and next year I really don't need to get any more games, I've just put a bunch of dusty ones on Ebay (yay, one sold straight away). But I am defintely looking at a KS version of Lords of Hellas (after Charlie's review) I've spotted and as I've got the Sword & Sorcery: Ancient Chronicles KS coming I am thinking about getting the first Sword & Sorcery sometime this year as prep ... but no more !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
26 Mar 2019 09:43 #294516 by lj1983

lj1983 wrote: Ogre 6th edition for $13 from Google express (Dicey Goblin). I've....never played Ogre, so at that price it's worth a look

aaand they sent the ACD promo sheet for Ogre instead. and I'm not the only one they did this too. Why would you do this? and its through google express, so refunds are easy.

More
26 Mar 2019 10:27 #294519 by Ah_Pook
I had something similar happen through Amazon once. Ordered Through The Ages, got a small box improv game called Cosmocracy instead. Had it filed wrong or something. Got a refund, kept the game, never even opened it.

Also a local place had some games on clearance so I grabbed Space Base for $10. Seemed solid. They had Duhr: The Lower Houses for $10 also but I don't know that it's a game I could get played.

More
26 Mar 2019 10:47 #294521 by Matt Thrower
Considering pulling the trigger on Matagot's Treasure Island because two people whose views tend to be right have raved about it.

I really shouldn't - not like I don't have enough games - but that's a hard recommendation to ignore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
26 Mar 2019 11:53 #294528 by Colorcrayons
I too am tempted by it. Especially if it can work as a decent family game, and teach good deduction skills to the kids. It's a pretty damn unique way to present the hidden factor seen in some games, so the novelty is a strong attraction.

The game being produced by Matagot is no small consideration of pedigree either, as I've rarely meet a Matagot title I didn't enjoy, let alone adore.

I usually play dungeon master roles in games, so being able to tweak the outcome a bit when it comes to the kids is a good thing in my book. But I recognize how unpopular dungeon master type roles are in games nowadays, so it would be a hard sell outside of the family unit, I imagine. I'd likely never recommend this as a pick up game with strangers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower

More
26 Mar 2019 12:00 #294530 by charlest
It feels a little complex for a family game to me. There's just a little bit too much going on. Although, I guess that depends what kind of family we're talking about. I'd say it's one degree beyond Pandemic in that regard. But if your family is regularly playing hobbyist games they could probably manage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, Colorcrayons

More
27 Mar 2019 22:38 #294634 by dream spawn
Just picked up the 2 expansions for Cash 'n Guns 2nd Ed. on Amazon at a steal. More Cash, More Guns was $13.38 and Team Spirit was $8.15. So, I got both expansions for the price of less than one of them by itself on CoolStuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
01 Apr 2019 09:24 #294818 by Vysetron
Picking up Beta Colony from the FLGS soonish. I like how the dice work and it has remarkably focused scoring for a modern euro. Looking forward to it.

More
01 Apr 2019 09:54 #294819 by Matt Thrower
Didn't sleep well last night, and in the awful grey space between waking and nightmare that is 3am, it felt like a good idea to buy Adeptus Titanicus.

Thankfully I felt better in the morning and didn't do it.

I've done a bang-up job of almost buying things and not doing it because I already have too many games of late. Treasure Island. Quacks of Quedlinburg, and Shadows over Hammerhal all almost got bought over the last few days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, Gary Sax, Jackwraith, Frohike, Vysetron

More
02 Apr 2019 09:21 #294869 by Gary Sax
I've been good about pulling back from the brink too, I know the situation you're talking about.

More
06 Apr 2019 03:46 #295070 by san il defanso
I walked into a store here in Manila, and what should I find but a copy of Steam on the shelf, with its price slashed? Since it's unclear whether that game is coming back or not, I snatched it up.

I got it home and realized it was exactly the game I wanted these days. The right level of depth, without tons of rules, nicely produced but not opulent. It feels almost old fashioned to see a game that isn't stretch goals out the wazoo. Really looking forward to revisiting it, I've been hankering for a long time.

I also picked up a game called Pawikan Patrol. It's a Filipino design where the players rescue sea turtles from poachers. (Pawikan is Tagalog for sea turtle.) No idea if it's any good, but I am excited to get a game I can't get anywhere else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
06 Apr 2019 06:19 #295072 by Erik Twice
Nice catch with Steam, it's a fantastic game!

I bought German Railways for 15€ a couple weeks ago. It's a fantastic, fun game. Like other Winsome games, it's incredibly opaque. The core idea of the game is "How can you win when winning deprives you of turns?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.335 seconds