October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
13 Aug 2019 16:13 #300709 by Vysetron
I've got a copy of Horrified waiting for me at home. I'm a horror and Prospero Hall mark, so this was going to get got eventually.

I worry it's a bit too Pandemic-y for my tastes, but the theme will definitely help the medicine go down if so. We'll see.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2019 16:20 #300710 by Josh Look
Horrified is my favorite Prospero Hall game that I’ve played yet. That includes Jaws, Villainous, Jurassic Park, and Monster Crunch. Aside from Monster Crunch, it’s the lightest of those. And I hate Pandemic. So make of that what you will.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Vysetron

More
13 Aug 2019 16:50 - 13 Aug 2019 16:50 #300713 by charlest
Yeah, I don't think it feels like Pandemic because you don't have that central puzzle of the same areas being peppered and needing to solve that puzzle. It's still kind of whack-a-mole in that you need to run around and hit different locations of priority (to pick up items), which is kind of the inverse I guess.

I like Horrified for sure, especially the contained mechanisms to defeat each monster, but I definitely felt it getting samey already after a couple of plays. That's of course the big challenge with a cooperative game.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2019 16:50 by charlest.

More
13 Aug 2019 21:12 #300722 by Michael Barnes
The really clever thing about Horrific is.............

It’s a pick up and deliver game.

Like, 100 percent. You ferry passengers around, take things to places where there is demand, set up possible routes, take advantage of shortcuts or effiency-enhancing abilities, etc.

It’s closer to Merchant of Venus than Pandemic. At first I was like “this is a super streamlined Arkham Horror”. But nope, it’s a train game. I wouldn’t be surprised if an easy draft of this game was a train game, or if the designers were thinking specifically of using PU&D mechanisms.

I love it...it’s good, simple fun and it is really challenging with three monsters. The last game we played was hysterical, we lost because somehow Frankenstein’s Monster just had it in for me. There was like two turns where that bastard was quite literally waiting outside of the hospital to clobber me as soon as I got out.

The little mini-objectives for the monsters are awesome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vysetron, n815e

More
13 Aug 2019 22:34 - 15 Aug 2019 13:23 #300724 by Sagrilarus

the_jake_1973 wrote: I picked up a nice copy of the GW version of Warrior Knights.

Nice pickup. Were you looking, or just stumble across it?
Last edit: 15 Aug 2019 13:23 by Sagrilarus. Reason: Autocorrect is retarded.

More
15 Aug 2019 09:46 #300794 by the_jake_1973

Sagrilarus wrote:

the_jake_1973 wrote: I picked up a nice copy of the GW version of Warrior Knights.

Nice pickup. We're you looking, or just stumble across it?

It popped up in a Facebook CONSIM Marketplace post. I half remembered, maybe from here, that people liked the GW version.

More
15 Aug 2019 09:53 #300795 by the_jake_1973

Space Ghost wrote: Blood Royale is awesome -- nothing today even comes close to what it does.

I am determined to get it played this winter. It is just amazing at that dynasty creation aspect to create a vivid tapestry of a family's history. It is a tough sell at the time investment, but so worth it. I'd rather spend 6 hours with BR than TI4 for certain.

More
29 Aug 2019 18:30 #301223 by Gary Sax
I ordered the whole Dunwich cycle and deluxe box for Arkham LCG. We'll see!

I also finally pulled the trigger on miniature market's last copy of the cardassian expansion of ascendency. I think that game is cool and old school and I can't imagine not having the cardassians for it thematically. Only 25 bucks so not a big stretch tbh.

More
29 Aug 2019 18:39 #301225 by WadeMonnig

Gary Sax wrote: I ordered the whole Dunwich cycle and deluxe box for Arkham LCG. We'll see!

I also finally pulled the trigger on miniature market's last copy of the cardassian expansion of ascendency. I think that game is cool and old school and I can't imagine not having the cardassians for it thematically. Only 25 bucks so not a big stretch tbh.

I literally called you a bastard earlier today when I logged on and saw the last one was sold out. Granted, I didn't KNOW it was you that I was calling a bastard, but still.

I'm watching the Ancients expansion for Cthulhu Wars which is part of "The Drop" while I hope for any expendable money. I'm sure I'll be calling someone else a bastard before it is all over.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
29 Aug 2019 19:20 #301226 by Gary Sax
I've looked at it once a week in the cart for like a month and a half.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
29 Aug 2019 23:48 - 30 Aug 2019 00:24 #301236 by Frohike
Too many:
  • Undaunted: Normandy - because I'm always fascinated by the collision of historical themes with this style of abstraction
  • Camp Grizzly - mostly for the game group
  • Mexica - the family has enjoyed Through the Desert, El Grande, and Santorini, so I think this one will work
  • Istanbul: Letters & Seals (we like Istanbul over here)
Last edit: 30 Aug 2019 00:24 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Ah_Pook

More
30 Aug 2019 08:42 #301239 by Jackwraith

Gary Sax wrote: I also finally pulled the trigger on miniature market's last copy of the cardassian expansion of ascendency. I think that game is cool and old school and I can't imagine not having the cardassians for it thematically. Only 25 bucks so not a big stretch tbh.

The Cardassians are SO much fun. They have some of the coolest tech upgrades in the game. Howevah, it's sometimes tricky to gain access to those upgrades because of the need to keep your ships scattered back through the Union so you can actually gain Production. That means fewer ships to dare the phenomena that get you Research to dump directly on to projects; on top of the complication of leaving ships behind in the first place. They take a little practice and generally start slower than factions like the Klingons and Romulans. But, once you get going, they're very cool.

Like every other ST: A fan, I'm still waiting for the Vulcans and Andorians to finally show up. The rules from Gen Con looked excellent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, WadeMonnig

More
18 Sep 2019 10:48 #301800 by Ah_Pook
I failed my saving throw and bought Talon + Talon 1000 and Wings For The Baron used from a guy. Got a good deal on them so I don't feel too bad. @Sagrilarus I blame you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, Frohike

More
19 Sep 2019 10:09 #301821 by mezike
Decided to pick up This War of Mine and expansion as it's on closeout prices at the moment in the UK. I backed the Kickstarter but sold it on after a few plays because I felt the game was a tad too capricious in the way that it randomly kicks you in the groin or hands you windfalls, often putting the endgame on auto-pilot.

I still think about it now and then though and with my son a bit older and looking for co-op games we can play together I figure that it's worth having another go given that the price is so low.

I see there's another expansion being released at Essen, I wonder if the fanbase is really big enough to support it.

More
23 Sep 2019 14:39 #301939 by Ah_Pook

Ah_Pook wrote: I failed my saving throw and bought Talon + Talon 1000 and Wings For The Baron used from a guy. Got a good deal on them so I don't feel too bad. @Sagrilarus I blame you.

I also bought Cataclysm: A Second World War, because I guess I thought I didn't have enough complicated direct confrontation games that no one ever wants to play? Realistically I'm mainly looking on playing solo, but still. I'm making questionable choices here.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.303 seconds