October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
11 Dec 2020 13:10 #317080 by WadeMonnig
I debated doing a downfall of GF9 article but nixed it as being mean spirited.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Msample

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2020 13:15 #317082 by southernman
Well FFG got slaughtered here a few years back (still see the odd bloodstain) so it won't be anything new. Nothing wrong pointing out the death of one and then exodus of other leading designers has coincided with average/poor releases.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
11 Dec 2020 21:26 #317097 by Space Ghost

Michael Barnes wrote: They really hit paydirt with Spartacus, Firefly, and ST:A. Even their tier 2 was solid with Homeland, Sons of Anarchy, and that forgotten WWE game. But between Doctor Who and this (both, notably, designed by the same person) they seem to be content to hope that mediocrity will carry a branded title.

Tyrants of the Underdark remains my favorite (I think)

More
12 Dec 2020 02:23 #317101 by Michael Barnes
I gave that a pretty mediocre review but I’ve always meant to revisit it. With the legal trouble between GF9 and WOTC I guess I better get on it.

GF9’s decline is unfortunate. They lost all of their key talent and leadership l do like the World of Tanks game and their Dune was the best it could likely have been. But they just can’t seem to get it together, and a lot of that has to do with giving this particular designer top shelf licenses. Both Doctor Who and Aliens were delayed for long periods of time and both show signs of rough development.

More
12 Dec 2020 12:22 #317109 by Space Ghost
I think it’s a very good deck builder

More
12 Dec 2020 17:13 #317115 by Cranberries

WadeMonnig wrote: I debated doing a downfall of GF9 article but nixed it as being mean spirited.

I sometimes feel nihilistic, like our individual actions don't mean much, and then it takes the death of a talented artist who brought people some limited form of joy because of their creativity and hard work to remind me that we can do things to make the world a little better, and our actions still matter.

www.tabletopgamingnews.com/gale-force-ni...embers-sean-sweigart

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, themothman421, WadeMonnig

More
22 Dec 2020 20:24 #317455 by DarthJoJo
My quest for dead CCGs continues, and I am dumb excited for today’s arrival: Fight Klub. The conceit is pretty straightforward, if silly. Decipher got its hands on a bunch of licenses and figured the world needed to see if Robocop could beat Hannibal Lecter or if Chev Chelios would overwhelm Tank Girl.

That’s not the bonkers part. They decided on direct sales only through their web site by means of a pyramid scheme that aped gang membership. You could only make orders if given a reference, and they would get some bonus for each reference. Booster boxes were called kilos, and you were encouraged to choose a gang name. Distasteful at best but hilarious as a nerd’s idea of being hard twenty years on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Ah_Pook, n815e

More
27 Dec 2020 20:09 #317551 by DarthJoJo
Picked up a few Netrunner cores and the first three cycles from the nicest guy on eBay. He reached out multiple times after the purchase to point me toward new player resources and included a note in the box with his personal email (a Hotmail address, so you know he’s been running nets for a few decades) in case I had any questions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Cranberries, sornars, Erik Twice, Nodens, WadeMonnig

More
30 Dec 2020 09:30 #317585 by Cranberries
That kind of enthusiasm is the best part of this hobby.

I bought a copy of Killer Bunnies at the thrift store then sold it on Facebook and just ordered a copy of Gaslands: Refuelled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
06 Jan 2021 13:22 #317765 by jeb
Did anyone get a copy of UNDER FALLING SKIES that they hate and want to send to me? I was doing the right thing and going through my FLGS and they whiffed on this one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
08 Jan 2021 23:17 - 08 Jan 2021 23:18 #317877 by Cranberries
I have two Targets within walking distance and I can get Pan Am for $24. There has been some raving on here about it, but I no longer trust indiscriminate raving. I'm looking at you, Fields of Fire fans.

I would theoretically play it with 21 year old son and 16 year old teen daughter, but she's in homework prison for about a month and I can't see her getting into it. I have yet to get her to play Wingspan. I'm getting slightly better at not lying to myself about which games will get played.
Last edit: 08 Jan 2021 23:18 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Nodens

More
10 Jan 2021 22:19 #317922 by jeb
I should see if the Target near me has it. I'm deeply into retail therapy at the moment and my FLGS can't get this one.

I did pick up my order from there though:
MARIPOSAS (from the WINGSPAN designer)
THE GREAT HEARTLAND HAULING CO (heard great things about it as a family game)
EXIT: THE ENCHANTED FOREST (I heard this is one of the best EXIT games)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, WadeMonnig, Ah_Pook

More
11 Jan 2021 14:13 #317938 by Gregarius

jeb wrote: I should see if the Target near me has it. I'm deeply into retail therapy at the moment and my FLGS can't get this one.

Try brickseek.com to save time.

More
11 Jan 2021 18:03 #317943 by Gary Sax
That's very useful, I've never seen that before.

More
14 Jan 2021 16:22 - 14 Jan 2021 16:23 #318029 by Ah_Pook
Stone Blade released a new small 2p version of Ascension called Ascension Eternal, so I bought it. My wife and I have played the Apprentice Edition hundreds of times over the years, but found the full size Ascension sets we tried not great at 2p. Too many cards, too swingy with what comes out.
Last edit: 14 Jan 2021 16:23 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.416 seconds