Front Page

Content

Authors

Game Index

Forums

Site Tools

Submissions

About

MB
Michael Barnes
August 18, 2022
669 0

Godtear Beats the Odds - Review

Board Game Reviews
T
thegiantbrain
August 18, 2022
207 0
T
thegiantbrain
August 11, 2022
378 0
W
WadeMonnig
August 10, 2022
606 1
O
oliverkinne
August 09, 2022
673 0
T
thegiantbrain
August 04, 2022
553 0
O
oliverkinne
August 01, 2022
850 0

Scout Board Game Review

Board Game Reviews
O
oliverkinne
July 29, 2022
856 0
T
thegiantbrain
July 28, 2022
625 0
W
WadeMonnig
July 27, 2022
910 1
O
oliverkinne
July 26, 2022
1020 0
T
thegiantbrain
July 25, 2022
743 0

The Split - Review

Board Game Reviews
T
thegiantbrain
July 21, 2022
823 0
×
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
14 Mar 2021 11:25 #320552 by Cranberries
So I learned about the Target sale and bought a copy of Tokyo Bash for $14.47, which is pretty cheap and it has great minis. Then I got home and saw the box had a hole in it, so I took it back, and at the last second decided to just return it because I've got better games at home (Arkham Horror LCG) that have been sitting unplayed for a year. I told my wife later I was having regrets, because of the awesome minis, and she replied, "Don't worry, I'll take you to McDonald's and you can get a Happy Meal with one of those little toys inside"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith, mezike, Nodens, DarthJoJo, Ah_Pook, n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2021 01:43 #320576 by Frohike
I ordered Babylonia... because it sounds like Knizia finally found the perfect intersection of some of his other designs (Samurai, Through the Desert, T & E)
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2021 13:41 #320589 by southernman
Some people can't help themselves - I convinced myself that the new Stellaris Legacy KS was way to expensive for me ... so I bought a copy of Xia - Legends of a Drift System on eBay instead :pinch: .
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, mezike, Nodens, n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2021 13:49 #320590 by Gary Sax
You don't have to worry about that one. I can confirm it's very good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2021 20:59 #320639 by charlest
Yeah Xia's awesome, you should feel good about that pickup.

I got a huge itch which lead me to buying Marvel Crisis Protocol. Another skirmish game - indeed, one of the most expensive ones - is not something I really need. But it looks pretty neat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2021 21:47 #320653 by hotseatgames
I pre-ordered Stargrave, essentially Frostgrave in space. Frostgrave is my favorite miniatures game I have ever played, and I am picturing Stargrave being perfect for all of my Core Space components. The book releases in April.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, jpat, charlest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2021 09:17 - 16 Mar 2021 09:18 #320675 by southernman

charlest wrote: Yeah Xia's awesome, you should feel good about that pickup.

Yeah - but now I feel I need to buy at least the big expansion and the missions one because our group like lots of options :unsure: .
But it then did give me the option of trading away SW: Outer Rim (I have Firefly and Xia so three doing the same is a bit too much in my large collection) for a retail copy of The 7th Continent, purely for something to play until mid-May when I will finally be allowed people to visit my house for gaming.
Last edit: 16 Mar 2021 09:18 by southernman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2021 09:27 #320678 by charlest
Didn't you get Tainted Grail yet? That operates in a similar space as 7th Continent. There are very big differences but they both work well as solo adventure games.

The Xia expansion is very very good. I sold my base game Xia years ago as I felt I'd rather play Merchants & Marauders and didn't need both in my collection. The release of the expansion has made me regret that, but at least I have a buddy who owns it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2021 10:16 #320681 by Ah_Pook
I think both xia expansions are pretty critical to the experience. Embers is one of those necessary "patch" expansions, and then the missions and powers expansion adds a lot of fun stuff (plus actually makes completing missions more viable).
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2021 11:21 #320689 by Gary Sax
The main thing is to read the trade rules/market addition from it and proxy it, which is very easy. Get the expansion if you find like the base game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Nodens, Ah_Pook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2021 15:36 #320708 by jpat
I picked up the Star Wars Armada Clone Wars starters and squadron packs and expect to pick up at least one of each of the subsequent wave 10 ships, which are supposed to be coming out mid-April. Armada has seen a pretty steep price hike relative to the Rebels/Imperials, which I guess will also probably go up in price. And the whole thing is, for me, about Cthulhu Wars-level of "value" in terms of amount spent to amount played, but if you don't get something for Armada when it comes out, it could be many months before it gets reprinted (great OP model, amirite?). The fact that Amazon has had the starters as low as $63 and change (compared to a $100 msrp) and the bumpy transition to Atomic Mass Games (from FFG, both crushed under the weight of Asmodee) has me a little worried that this will be about the end, but that's purely speculative.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2021 15:54 - 16 Mar 2021 15:54 #320712 by southernman

charlest wrote: Didn't you get Tainted Grail yet? That operates in a similar space as 7th Continent. There are very big differences but they both work well as solo adventure games.

Saving TG for my group but that won't be until 21 May at the earliest due to COVID rules so 7C is just something to do for the next couple of months, I'm not a solo gamer at all but from everything I've seen and heard I think the game may suit me for a solo effort ... else I'm going to be bloody bored by May, haven't down any proper gaming since late October and this is a desperation move to stop going mad.

charlest wrote: The Xia expansion is very very good. I sold my base game Xia years ago as I felt I'd rather play Merchants & Marauders and didn't need both in my collection. The release of the expansion has made me regret that, but at least I have a buddy who owns it.

Unfortunately that's what I read and hear, and our group likes depth, variety and challenge so they both do seem a must.
Oh, well, it will still only be just over half what Stellaris would be costing me :whistle:
Last edit: 16 Mar 2021 15:54 by southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2021 16:07 #320715 by Gary Sax

jpat wrote: I picked up the Star Wars Armada Clone Wars starters and squadron packs and expect to pick up at least one of each of the subsequent wave 10 ships, which are supposed to be coming out mid-April. Armada has seen a pretty steep price hike relative to the Rebels/Imperials, which I guess will also probably go up in price. And the whole thing is, for me, about Cthulhu Wars-level of "value" in terms of amount spent to amount played, but if you don't get something for Armada when it comes out, it could be many months before it gets reprinted (great OP model, amirite?). The fact that Amazon has had the starters as low as $63 and change (compared to a $100 msrp) and the bumpy transition to Atomic Mass Games (from FFG, both crushed under the weight of Asmodee) has me a little worried that this will be about the end, but that's purely speculative.


Ah man, I need to grab these.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2021 18:00 #320721 by n815e
I feel like for Armada the increased prices and packaging scheme, move to a different company, firing of all the designers, switch to a different era, and deletion of the existing community forums have all contributed to my decision to stop at OT and be happy with what I have.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2021 09:35 #320735 by jpat

n815e wrote: I feel like for Armada the increased prices and packaging scheme, move to a different company, firing of all the designers, switch to a different era, and deletion of the existing community forums have all contributed to my decision to stop at OT and be happy with what I have.


I certainly thought about it. I have more GCW stuff than I've played, and I've spent more than I care to admit on foam storage from Germany (and it's not very efficient storage at that, especially after the card-size change, but it's pretty good for the minis themselves). There's also been some speculation that the next wave will include ships for all factions, though IDK how wise that would be.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.402 seconds