October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
16 Nov 2021 13:12 #328015 by Jackwraith
Yeah, that's where I am, too. If I acquire any new games, it's from trading only. Something has to go out for something to come in. I have a couple Kickstarters that will be coming in over the next few months, but I haven't signed on to a campaign since Tiny Epic Dungeons (which is one of them) and don't plan to join any others for the foreseeable future. I'm just going to spend time with what I have (barring trades; sent out five requests on BGG the other day and have received all of one response...) until I feel like I've reached a level where something new would really be worth it. That's, uh, going to take a while.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, ChristopherMD, hotseatgames

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2022 08:39 #329781 by Legomancer
I got a promotion and raise at work. I'm now a Senior Data Analyst and it was a pretty significant raise. I'm celebrating with a bottle of good Scotch and a couple of games.

Maglev Metro - don't know much about it but it looks like something I'd like.

High Frontier 4 All - They'll kick me out of DSA as an ideological traitor for buying a Phil Eklund game and they'll be right to do it. It makes me itch all over but dammit I've been wanting my own copy of this for ages. This weekend I'm clearing off the Lego table (so long, Tenenbaum House) so I can start soloing this guy.

More
14 Jan 2022 14:15 #329798 by mezike
You’re not alone, I bought HF4all recently and my son and I spent all of last weekend lobbing solar sails around Mercury and colonising the outer planets, and very much looking forward to doing the same again this weekend. Terrific stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
14 Jan 2022 14:34 - 14 Jan 2022 14:40 #329800 by Sagrilarus
Nadurra, and Leaving Earth if you’re looking for recs. Congrats on the raise.

You want my Maglev Metro? I’m not gonna play it. Good game, but not my thing.
Last edit: 14 Jan 2022 14:40 by Sagrilarus.

More
14 Jan 2022 16:48 #329813 by Legomancer
Thanks for the offer Sag, but a copy is already currently winging its way towards me, due to arrive Sunday.

I'm definitely interested in trying Leaving Earth, but not sure if I want to pony up for it.

HF4A will take a little longer, Thursday of next week. The DSA is going to kick me out as an ideological traitor for buying an Ekland game, and they'll be right to do so, but it's the only one (other than Pax Porfiriana, which I already own) that I'm interested in.

As for the Scotch, I like really peaty, smoky stuff. Last bottle I got was BenRiach and I really liked it.

More
30 Jan 2022 12:29 #330268 by Ah_Pook
Picked up a clearance copy of Blitz Bowl season 2 for $24 from Barnes and Noble today. Pretty stoked about that one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jpat, hotseatgames, birdman37, charlest, BillyBobThwarton, n815e

More
04 Feb 2022 04:55 #330412 by mezike
Osprey have a sale on at the moment so I decided to get a copy of Judge Dredd Wildlands with the Dark Judges - £25 shipped in the UK which is fire-sale pricing, no idea what their international shipping costs are like though. There is some Frostgrave stuff on discount as well which I know is popular with some people on here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, sornars

More
04 Feb 2022 05:58 #330413 by sornars
Gaslands is also on sale which is another niche hit here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
04 Mar 2022 16:53 #331338 by Cranberries
I'm trying to talk myself into Pax Pamir 2nd edition. It's $90 shipped. I owned the first and sold it thinking I would just snap up the new version. That was a few years ago.

More
04 Mar 2022 17:56 #331346 by Msample
The rules are substantially better/more accessible than the first edition. And a rarity these days, the game has JUST the right amount of production value. Box holds everything, not too big or small. But most importantly after bouncing hard off the first edition game play wise I found this edition MUCH easier to play and now its got a regular spot in my "bring to random gatherings" to see if anyone wants to play.

At some point down the road it will go OOP and I suspect it will hold its value, if not get more expensive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, Cranberries

More
22 Mar 2022 10:09 #331795 by Cranberries

Cranberries wrote: I'm trying to talk myself into Pax Pamir 2nd edition. It's $90 shipped. I owned the first and sold it thinking I would just snap up the new version. That was a few years ago.

I just bought an unplayed version of the first edition for $43, shipped, and downloaded the print and play files for the 2nd edition, and located the 3d printing files for the 2nd edition knockoff components, so I may be playing some form of Pax Pamir in the near future.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
05 Apr 2022 09:18 - 05 Apr 2022 09:22 #332077 by Sagrilarus
I just picked up this on an impulse --

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/tw28ru/deepest_valley_its_a_zine_its_a_wargame_the_map/
File Attachment:

$34.90 shipped. Granted, might have done better with Tiny Epic something-or-other but at the price I just couldn't leave it be when the publisher talked it up.

I love the packaging on this thing. Its simple, uses off-the-shelf parts including mini-dice that don't serve any purpose other than representing their color. Ultra simple Dudes game, fits in a small ziplock.

A guy on reddit more or less said, "I want better production value" which I think is the new phrasing for "component quality". That's fine, but the more I thought about it the more I think getting a good game that will fit into a ziplock (and not even a big one) is a premium feature. I'm tired of the pile of boxes all banging up against each other in my closets.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2022 09:22 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, hotseatgames, sornars

More
05 Apr 2022 09:29 #332078 by hotseatgames
I think you're going to see a lot of publishers wanting smaller boxes thanks to the high cost of shipping containers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Sagrilarus, Msample

More
05 Apr 2022 11:02 - 05 Apr 2022 11:08 #332081 by Sagrilarus
This thing cost $4.90 to ship. So when it's time to move it on to someone, I slip it into an envelope and send it on the cheap. It's ideal, it's easy. Nobody is looking to ship their copy of Gloomhaven no matter how done they are with it.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2022 11:08 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
06 Apr 2022 09:52 #332123 by thegiantbrain
Just bought my first games in ages. Picked up Millenium Blades and Renature both secondhand. Just about to offload a bunch that have left my collection but are just sitting around waiting to get sold.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.446 seconds