October 09, 2023
2296 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
10 Dec 2022 09:48 - 10 Dec 2022 09:49 #337302 by Ah_Pook

n815e wrote: I think it’ll be no different than WotR, itself. You can play and enjoy it, but it’s at its best when you gain experience and know what the card decks are like. It’s already a game with four decks, more if you include Warriors.

But I understand not wanting or being able to invest in a game like that.

It's different in that it takes 3 other people that want to play it a lot instead of 1 other person.
Last edit: 10 Dec 2022 09:49 by Ah_Pook.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2022 09:50 #337303 by dysjunct
The cards in the card game are a lot simpler than the cards in the board game, so I think it will go over better with new people and more casual gamers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
10 Dec 2022 12:32 #337304 by n815e

Ah_Pook wrote:

n815e wrote: I think it’ll be no different than WotR, itself. You can play and enjoy it, but it’s at its best when you gain experience and know what the card decks are like. It’s already a game with four decks, more if you include Warriors.

But I understand not wanting or being able to invest in a game like that.

It's different in that it takes 3 other people that want to play it a lot instead of 1 other person.

It looks like you can play it two player, each managing two decks. I don’t know, yet. I just got it and haven’t tried.

More
10 Dec 2022 13:27 #337306 by Ah_Pook
I'm curious to hear your thoughts after you play it! What I've seen made it look like it was vastly better at 4, and that 2 wasn't great. But I haven't tried it natch :)

More
10 Dec 2022 13:36 - 10 Dec 2022 19:52 #337307 by ChristopherMD
I checked this out. Neither the LotR theme or 100 different artworks sell a game to me these days. Too many good LotR games already out. I'll wait for long-term reviews or use the Michael Barnes Rave/Sell meter to determine its true potential.
Last edit: 10 Dec 2022 19:52 by ChristopherMD.

More
27 Dec 2022 13:26 - 27 Dec 2022 14:58 #337606 by Jackwraith
Having seen the notice about B&N's board game sale (50% off everything but things like M:TG), I was relatively disinterested as not only do I not need anymore games, but I haven't been inside a Barnes & Noble in I don't know how many years, so I had no idea what their selection would be like. But my girlfriend is still in some networks from her years being a toy store owner and had also seen people talking about it and suggested we stop by there when we were out running errands. There was a broader pile of stuff than I thought would be the case, so I ended up walking out of there with a couple things.

Rear Window, which I've been eyeing from a distance for a while now. I'm a fan of Funko/Prospero Hall because everything I've played from them has been somewhere between good and great. I know Charlie liked this one and I'm a Hitchcock fan, so I went for it.

Likewise, I picked up Dune: A Game of Conquest and Diplomacy not only because I like GF9's output in general, but also because several people here gave it a thumbs up for gameplay and because it seems like a gateway to introducing people to the actual Dune. I've been edging toward the latter with one of my regular groups, so I'll see if this does pan out to be the start of a joyous addiction on their part.

The pile grows larger...
Last edit: 27 Dec 2022 14:58 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, sornars, charlest

More
27 Dec 2022 14:14 #337607 by Shellhead
I forgot about the annual B&N sale, but happened to be in one yesterday because I am trying to find a copy of Firefly: Kalidasa. I vaguely remembered seeing it at B&N in the past, but all they had was a single copy of the base game. But yeah, 50% on board games. I was very tempted by Risk: Game of Thrones, but realized that my local gamer friends are Risk-averse.

As for Kalidasa, it looks like I am out of luck until somebody puts a copy up on eBay. I found one website (Ganbino.com) that was selling Kalidasa, but they declined my credit card which immediately made me paranoid because I am nowhere near the limit on that card. It turns out that Ganbino.com is a complete scam, and the sole purpose of their site seems to be to collect credit card information so they can make fraudulent charges. 24 out of 24 reviews at the Better Business Bureau site expressed that viewpoint. Before Ganbino could do anything with my card, I locked the card and requested a replacement card with a different account number. Some of the comments at BBB asked why the site hadn't been shut down yet, and I suppose it's because of lack of jurisdiction.

More
27 Dec 2022 15:08 #337608 by Sagrilarus
This is my first Christmas in maybe 15 years that I didn't purchase a board game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Nodens, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
28 Dec 2022 01:47 #337616 by Space Ghost
Only game I bought was Memoir ‘44 for the 8 year old. He’s thrilled, albeit a little disappointed it’s not a Vietnam based game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
28 Dec 2022 14:32 #337623 by Sagrilarus

Space Ghost wrote: Only game I bought was Memoir ‘44 for the 8 year old. He’s thrilled, albeit a little disappointed it’s not a Vietnam based game.

Is there anything in that weight class that's set in Viet Nam?

More
28 Dec 2022 15:37 #337626 by Msample
There is interestingly enough a Vietnam game on KS using an Axis and Allies looking system.

HOWEVER, its been mired in endless excuses for delays, etc for many years. I'd stay the hell away from it.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523186582/...d-allies-type-wargam

You know its bad when they wall off viewing of updates to only backers; the comments however make for interesting/entertaining reading. The guy running the KS used to work for Decision games FWIW but he's no longer with them AFAIK and they have no involvement with this...debacle. It funded back in March 2018 ! I don't think its so much fraud as that the guy woefully underestimated how much work doing minis are. And for the sum raised ( a little over $100K ) its a pittance; even if he's buying off the shelf sculpts and not new molds etc .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Space Ghost, Gary Sax

More
28 Dec 2022 16:38 #337629 by Space Ghost
I imagine he would love that — if it ever comes out, I may look into it.

I don’t think there is anything in the M44 class for Vietnam. He is a smart kid for his age and his interests are beyond most his buddies (sounds like a brag…but not meant that way). He is hard to motivate. He can read well, but hates to — and will fall behind if he doesn’t start practicing more. My latest scheme has been to tell him that as he reads better he will be able to start to be able to get into some of the more difficult games. Any tips for getting precocious young boys to read are always welcome.

He’s admired the Fire on the Lake map. Right now he’s satisfying his Vietnam interest by building a Huey model my main gaming buddy got him from Hobby Lobby for Christmas.

More
28 Dec 2022 16:45 #337630 by Sagrilarus
The gaming avenue to better reading is role-playing games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
28 Dec 2022 16:55 #337631 by Shellhead
It's been a long time since I read it, but Fire on the Lake is the best book that I have read about the Vietnam War. Author Frances Fitzgerald won a Pulitzer Prize for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
28 Dec 2022 23:17 #337643 by Dive-Dive-Dive!

Space Ghost wrote: Any tips for getting precocious young boys to read are always welcome.

Read to them. You need books that will suck them in without seeming like they’re too much for the kid to read on his own if he wanted to. For that age, I suggest Robert Asprin’s “Myth” series. The protagonist is a young man, there’s monsters and magic, and you’re never quite sure who’s a good guy at first. Lots of puns so they’re even fun for the adults.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.730 seconds