October 09, 2023
2220 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2440 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
29 May 2015 16:41 - 29 May 2015 16:50 #203134 by mikecl
Just bought a copy of Arcadia Quest which is a pretty simple dungeon crawl with Chibi-style characters and a built-in campaign system that at first blush actually looks a lot cleverer than TOEE. The game has very simple rules, but because in addition to the monsters, your opponents are also your enemies, manages to provide enough interesting tactical decisions to keep you engaged. The PVP aspect of the game adds just the right amount of zip to the gameplay.

There's probably nine hours of play in the campaign or about one hour per scenario. But you only use about half of them in one campaign so that, the dice, and a variety of characters guarantees pretty good replay value. There's also an expansion that's already out for it. The game is pure eye candy. Bright colours, thick alabaster tiles with good artwork and extraordinarily well-produced minis. Gameplay is simple, but fun.

Aside from the simple gameplay, the other potential draw back is the Chibi-style. If you're looking for serious, this ain't it. But it is a dungeon crawl that is so easy to teach and that you can play with just about anybody, with enough backstabbing, tactical gameplay to keep the gamer in you interested. For me, so far, so good. I hope it holds up.

All those minis don't come cheap though. I paid 100 bucks Canadian for it so won't be buying anything else for awhile.
Last edit: 29 May 2015 16:50 by mikecl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, hotseatgames

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2015 10:31 #203319 by lj1983
woo! Starcraft and broodwar, bought the guy about 70$ worth of games for it. i've been sad ever since i traded it away. cancelled my forbidden stars pre-order, so a net-zero.

More
03 Jun 2015 18:06 - 03 Jun 2015 18:29 #203354 by bfkiller
I picked up the new edition of Lords of Scotland. I'm a big fan of the game and have name-dropped it a few times at this site because I feel it's unheralded / underrated. The new production is much nicer than the older one and can be picked up for under $20. I recommend it if you like card games. It vaguely reminds me of Condottiere for those who are fans of that one.

Also, I've been lucky at thrift stores recently (Thurn and Taxis, 7 Wonders, Carcassonne, which I grabbed for about $5 each). I've already traded two of them away, though (Thurn & Taxis for Duck Dealer and 7 Wonders for Buffy the Vampire Slayer). I also traded away Freedom: The Underground Railroad for Hyperborea. I like Freedom but it's not one that generates much interest so I usually played it solo, and I decided that I prefer Pandemic for that style of co-op game.
Last edit: 03 Jun 2015 18:29 by bfkiller.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, Gregarius

More
03 Jun 2015 21:19 #203358 by iguanaDitty

bfkiller wrote: 7 Wonders for Buffy the Vampire Slayer

In the running for best trade ever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, bfkiller, engineer Al, stoic

More
04 Jun 2015 09:07 #203371 by Legomancer
I jumped into that Miniature Market St. Soldier Day sale and grabbed:

Eight Minute Empires: Lost Lands
A Fistful of Dinero (anyone here know anything about this?)
3012 (may not be good, but it was worth trying out at $18)
Uranopolis Neuroshima Hex army

day after, Nations: the Dice Game dropped so I had them add that in.

Arrives Saturday.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
04 Jun 2015 11:25 #203380 by bendgar
Just ordered Theseus- Dark Orbit. I have been interested in this for some time and Stoic's recent comments gave me the incentive to make the purchase. Sounds like it plays 2-3 well and unfortunately that is the current size of my gaming group. I went ahead and picked up the $5 card pack at BGG. Think I will wait a while before getting Bots.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
04 Jun 2015 12:28 #203382 by hotseatgames
Theseus is great, you won't regret it. I've not played with more than 2 but it's apparently over-chaotic.

I got the Bots expansion but haven't had the chance to play yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, stoic

More
02 Aug 2015 15:02 - 02 Aug 2015 15:03 #207747 by OldHippy
My son and I went to the public pool yesterday, it was incredibly hot by Vancouver standards. In fact we're in the middle of a drought and the city is currently under a stage 3 water crisis. No watering lawns is one of the restrictions at this point. So the pool is a nice place to go. Afterwards we went up Main street to the convenience store that sells the giant Mr Freezies ('as big as my arm daddy?' - 'yes Sunderland, as big as your arm'). We bought two and started walking back to the truck.

On the way we walked by Strategies and Games, the brick and mortar games store in my neighbourhood that I try to support sometimes. They're still cheap - not Starlit Citadel cheap but the best in town for a real store. I walk in, they have all kinds of games I'm curious about but not the new Imperial Assault expansion that I was hoping for.

On the way out of the store I notice that I have FFG's new Tigris and Euphrates in my hand ... huh? How the hell did that happen?
Last edit: 02 Aug 2015 15:03 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, Dr. Mabuse, engineer Al

More
02 Aug 2015 18:10 #207756 by ChristopherMD
DungeonQuest Revised - Kind of an impulse buy. Never played any version of this game.

More
02 Aug 2015 18:48 #207757 by wkover

Mad Dog wrote: DungeonQuest Revised - Kind of an impulse buy. Never played any version of this game.

You are in for a first-turn death treat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75

More
02 Aug 2015 21:55 #207765 by Dr. Mabuse
In the early 80's I was getting my fill of all this new music from the UK while watching MuchMusic (Canada's equivalence of MTV). One day a a video called "My Perfect Cousin" by The Undertones came on and I was awed and mesmerised by a sequence where the band played a table soccer game. Being a big soccer player and fan at the time I wanted that soooo badly, unfortunately nothing like that was ever sold in Canada. I later found out it was called Subbuteo.

Flashforward to a few days ago where I picked up a used copy on the cheap. I am sooooo excited to finally play this game after 20 something years.

Oooooh mama.

The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, ChristopherMD, OldHippy, engineer Al

More
02 Aug 2015 22:04 #207766 by engineer Al

Dr. Mabuse wrote: I am sooooo excited to finally play this game after 20 something years.

Wow, like a childhood dream come true. I hope it lives up to your expectations!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
02 Aug 2015 23:12 #207772 by Michael Barnes
Subbuteo is serious business for a lot of folks...big collector's thing, once you start getting into wanting specific players, clubs.

I wrote an article about it at Worthpoint-

www.worthpoint.com/article/subbuteo-brin...s-tabletops-70-years
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
03 Aug 2015 08:02 #207781 by Dr. Mabuse
It's funny had I recieved a set as a kid, I would have been all over collecting specific teams (like NASL's Edmonton Drillers and the New York Cosmos), grand stands etc., but now I have enough teams for a game. The collection came with three extra teams and a grand stand, which I'll never use.

More
03 Aug 2015 10:24 - 03 Aug 2015 11:52 #207798 by Josh Look
Just ordered the goblin set for Dungeon Command, which completes my collection. I've only played the game once, but I rather enjoyed it. I kinda got that it would be a grower so not its a matter of playing it again to let that happen.

Also got the revised (read FIXED) edition of DungeonQuest. I've had dungeon crawls on the brain and realized that while I'm certainly not short on them, I don't own anything in that shut-your-brain-off-set-the-game-up-and-see-what-happens niche. And I know Uba and Al will play it, so that's cool.

Meanwhile, I'm wearing out the refresh button waiting for a delivery estimate for my copy of Flick 'Em Up.
Last edit: 03 Aug 2015 11:52 by Josh Look.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.460 seconds