October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2655 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
06 Jan 2016 14:09 #219189 by hotseatgames
I ordered a copy of Codenames from Amazon now that it's back to under $20... thanks Christmas scalpers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2016 11:26 #219499 by Gary Sax
I was at Barnes and Noble, we were out of town visiting family in Nebraska, and I saw Armada. I came very close to buying the fucking thing right there, storage difficulties, cost, lack of opponents etc be damned. Those models have an epic shelf presence.

Interestingly, they had Armada base set and a shit load of x-wing stuff but no Armada expansions whatsoever.

More
10 Jan 2016 12:34 #219502 by Gary Sax
I bought Theseus: Bots to get me over the top on a free shipping order at Amazon. Looks... good? It's kind of hard to visualize how Theseus factions work until you play them.

More
17 Jan 2016 03:00 #220073 by SuperFlySwatter
I would like to know how to get off the crack cocaine that is Heroscape. I used to have a worn and battered base set of RotV. I now have 2 sets of RotV, an Archkyrie fortress, the Volcarren wasteland, Thaelenk Tundra and Forgotten Forest expansions and about 120 odd of the coolest looking figures.
I'm subliminally prepping my 5 year old by letting him catch sneak glimpses of Heroscape stuff on screen and asking him if it looks cool.
Verdict: It looks cool. He wants it.
Just annoying that as per usual I come to everything about 10 years too late so it ends up costing about a gazillion times more than it should have, and so annoying trying to squeeze "discounts" out of ebay dudes you're spending a few hundred dollars at a time with, they've got 10-20 units listed of EACH thing that ever existed so you know they just drove round Walmart filling up their trailers when it costs pennies
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Cranberries, Hex Sinister, Frohike

More
18 Jan 2016 23:39 - 18 Jan 2016 23:50 #220164 by Gary Sax
My kickstarter copy of Twilight Struggle Collector's edition showed up today. It's very nice, though a few corners have been cut (there's no giant resin Cthulhu statue in it or anything). The box, board, and new card art are great and the turn zero stuff looks fun. I think the blocks for markers are nice too, though others have been pitching a fit about it.

I think if you got into the business of doing some sort of kickstarter comparison shopping to other boardgames that funded at this price, you might be pissed or disappointed. I can't really speak to that---when I kickstarted, I thought this was about what I would get from GMT in a collector's edition, it is consistent with their level of quality. So now I have a lovely copy of Twilight Struggle with some extras in a nice looking wooden box. I can't complain, honestly. Kickstarter has really fucked with some people's expectations, IMHO, I don't know why you would think GMT would do something so drastically different from anything it has ever done. People are absolutely livid on the kickstarter forum.

edit: I guess the only bummer typo that's in the collector's edition is that Brush War is listed as Early War and not Mid War, which is a significant mistake. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually fixed that, though, by printing and sending along another card.
Last edit: 18 Jan 2016 23:50 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Frohike, Gregarius

More
19 Jan 2016 02:19 - 19 Jan 2016 02:21 #220168 by Space Ghost
I don't have mine yet -- although I have no idea what they would complain about.

Edit: Most people will probably sleeve their cards -- just sub in a Brush War from the Deluxe Edition or whatever until a new one comes along
Last edit: 19 Jan 2016 02:21 by Space Ghost.

More
19 Jan 2016 04:17 #220170 by repoman
People on BGG and in the KS forums would bitch about a free blow job from a super model.

In other news, I got my copy of U.S. Civil War the other day. Also from GMT. Two humongous fully mounted boards. I mean gigantic. Looks cool. Not through reading the rules yet but a lot of it seems to be in the Hannibal RvC vein in so far as movement is concerned. I bought it for about 40 bucks plus shipping from the guy that used to run Wargame Depot online. He still sells games but I think only through the BGG marketplace.

More
19 Jan 2016 09:15 - 19 Jan 2016 09:17 #220179 by Disgustipater

Space Ghost wrote: although I have no idea what they would complain about.

Most of the bitching is about the plastic miniatures and the influence markers not being able to show control (i.e. white vs. solid color), which is instead shown by a colored cube placed next to the country. While I personally think the control status indicated by the markers is easier to read, I've never used cubes, so it may work just fine.

Space Ghost wrote: Most people will probably sleeve their cards -- just sub in a Brush War from the Deluxe Edition or whatever until a new one comes along

Solid sleeves would obscure those lovely card backs. But it doesn't matter, because as long as you know that it is a Mid War card, just shuffle it in with the Mid War deck.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2016 09:17 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
19 Jan 2016 10:03 #220184 by Gary Sax
My first instinct is that I don't mind the cube, personally. I'll see if that changes when I play it. Either way, it seems minor.

The Brush War thing is a legit fuckup that probably needs to be corrected, but it's not urgent since I know it's not early war and it doesn't have any other effects. There's also a typo on one of the new promo flavor text or something.

More
19 Jan 2016 10:28 #220186 by Gregarius
I haven't received my Collector's Edition yet, but I feel the same way you do. I'm not expecting something crazy from GMT, just a nice box and nice components. I hate the demanding mentality that seems so prevalent these days. To be honest, I'm a little surprised because I thought those kind of fanboys wouldn't be the same type to order Twilight Struggle.

More
19 Jan 2016 11:27 - 19 Jan 2016 11:30 #220196 by OldHippy
Just a couple of expansions really. I picked up the Flick em Up expansion, which is fucking great and really completes the game nicely, and today on my way home from work I'm grabbing Escape from Hoth because it's cheap-ish at the near by game store (77$ - Doc M, that's 3 bucks cheaper than Starlit if you can believe that) and with the Canadian dollar sinking so fast I can't know if that price won't go up astronomically in a few months. I don't really need it yet but I know it will get played eventually.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2016 11:30 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
19 Jan 2016 12:54 #220202 by Sagrilarus

JonJacob wrote: and with the Canadian dollar sinking so fast . . .

So much for my gray-market Crokinole board business.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
19 Jan 2016 14:34 #220226 by hotseatgames
Well it's not a game per se, but I did just order a lot of 10 velvet drawstring bags off of Amazon. Hopefully they are adequate for "monster cup" purposes.

More
19 Jan 2016 15:32 - 19 Jan 2016 15:35 #220245 by Erik Twice
I think I'm going to buy the Car Wars reprint. It's easier and faster to get it than to get Micromachines and print maps and tokens for my rulebook. I don't think my group will mind the low quality components so it's ok.

The problem is finding a copy in Europe.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2016 15:35 by Erik Twice.

More
20 Jan 2016 10:58 - 20 Jan 2016 10:58 #220335 by hotseatgames
Just bought the Hunters expansion for Theseus, which just came out today in the US. It's been around for quite a while elsewhere, I think. Ordered from miniaturemarket. For some reason, Amazon still acts like this thing doesn't exist.
Last edit: 20 Jan 2016 10:58 by hotseatgames.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.291 seconds