October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
05 Jun 2018 13:56 #274740 by Colorcrayons
Why should the, when self proclaimed tastemakers on BGG do the marketing for them without even receiving free copies?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2018 14:18 #274741 by charlest

SuperflyTNT wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: I have trouble finding things I’m interested in enough to ask for a FREE copy of.

Now THAT’S a real market indicator.

Not to shill, because you know I don’t really care enough to do that, but it’s killing me to see the lack of marketing for my game. The most recent post on BGG is “Shit, the only reason I know this game exists is because I knocked a copy over at the WizKids booth”

If companies aren’t doing any marketing, and not sending WAY advance copies out for the review corps, how the shit will anyone know which games may be of any value?

It is frustrating and it's a huge part of a game's success honestly. If you look at Sidereal Confluence, that game has taken off in the past 4-6 months due to more traction with reviewers. This is the only reason, it was dead on arrival for several months and then a couple of big reviews came out and boom.

Likewise, we wouldn't have any of the re-releases of the Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective series without Shut Up Sit Down's review.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
05 Jun 2018 14:22 #274742 by Sagrilarus
A legit question -- how much does marketing help when everyone's attention is on Kickstarter? How do you advertise a game in the current environment?

More
05 Jun 2018 14:34 #274743 by SuperflyPete
Reviewers and social media.

Sadly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Black Barney

More
05 Jun 2018 14:47 #274745 by charlest

SuperflyTNT wrote: Reviewers and social media.

Sadly.

This. I think reviewers help in aggregate as a kind of word of mouth. Eagle-Gryphon is another publisher that does literally zero advertising, and it hurts their releases. Clockwork Wars got no attention upon release. We had at least a dozen people tell us over the years how they had never heard of it but loved the game after trying it due to us talking about it on Ding & Dent.

FFG has top notch marketing. They advertise new releases at BGG, they secure in store displays and demoing at FLGSs, and they run a series of articles on new releases on their website. Other Asmodee entities seem good at this as well.

More than ever, I think published non-KS games thrive based on word of mouth. Games like Captain Sonar received just enough promotion and Asmodee got the game into reviewer's hands. I remember bringing it to Gen Con the year it came out (it didn't have much buzz yet) and playing it with several groups at the convention and everyone falling in love. This happened with other groups and it became a thing. Huge success after that.

We're seeing this with The Mind right now. Pandasaurus got a bunch of copies into people's hands at The Gathering of Friends this year and social media has been abuzz. I never would have sought it down at Geekway if not for that word of mouth and I loved it immediately.

I will say that Wizkids has gotten slightly better with issuing press releases, and I've also found their PR people friendly and helpful. I also see some newcomers on Kickstarter in the past few years who are very talented and put in a ton of effort towards marketing. It's not just the platform, but people like James Hudson doing their thing and promoting the hell out of their games with a media presence.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
05 Jun 2018 14:49 #274746 by ChristopherMD
Buying ads and getting reviewed on There Will Be Games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Space Ghost, Gary Sax, allismom3, lj1983, SuperflyPete, Frohike, sornars, WadeMonnig

More
05 Jun 2018 16:07 #274757 by hotseatgames
I just recorded a solo playthrough of a SEAL Team Flix mission, which I'll be editing and putting on youtube. That will hopefully get a bit of attention.

This was harder to do than I expected, and I'm not thrilled to show the internet how bad I am at my own game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
05 Jun 2018 16:11 #274758 by ubarose
I used to get info directly from the publishers, but as they got bought up by Asmodee, the flow of information stopped. Recently, however, I’ve gotten a couple of “oops for some mysterious technical reasons this info hasn’t been being sent out, but here it is now”messages. I suspect that when Asmodee bought up publishers they dropped that ball, and have only recently realized it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
05 Jun 2018 18:06 #274773 by Almalik

WadeMonnig wrote: Isle of Skye: Expansion just came out, so the base game is finally back in stock
Tournament at Camelot: Heard good things
Spartacus: Shadow of Death Expansion: Adding a 5th player before this disappears completely
Seikatsu: My oldest boy loves birds, think he might dig this game.
Colt Express: Read a review at ThereWillBe.Games that made it sound mighty fun.

Thanks for the reminder about Shadows of Death - grabbed a copy off of Amazon for $13 CAD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
05 Jun 2018 18:40 - 05 Jun 2018 18:42 #274777 by Erik Twice
I just bought 1856 (Canada) and 1870 (Mississippi). I have a couple guys who have asked me to play more 18XX, a potential group and some people from the club have an itch to play again so I think they'll hit the table well. I also learned how to use the moderator (Important to speed up 1870) and I enjoy playing these games solo so I think I'm going to be happy with them.

With this, I feel my collection is mostly complete. There are only a handful of games I'm interested in that I do not own and of those I can only think of Tresham's Civilization as a game I'm sure I want to own.
Last edit: 05 Jun 2018 18:42 by Erik Twice.

More
05 Jun 2018 19:10 #274779 by WadeMonnig

hotseatgames wrote: I just recorded a solo playthrough of a SEAL Team Flix mission, which I'll be editing and putting on youtube. That will hopefully get a bit of attention.

This was harder to do than I expected, and I'm not thrilled to show the internet how bad I am at my own game.

This needs to be posted or linked from here. Seriously.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
05 Jun 2018 19:11 #274780 by hotseatgames
Will do... my PC is not up to the task of video editing so it still has hours to go on rendering.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
05 Jun 2018 19:15 #274781 by Frohike
Also, you probably already know this but So Very Wrong About Games is chomping at the bit to play Seal Team Fux.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
05 Jun 2018 21:12 #274785 by Sagrilarus
Their most recent episode pushed the game very hard.

More
05 Jun 2018 21:26 - 05 Jun 2018 21:48 #274786 by hotseatgames
I'll have to check that out, thanks!

Is it the Keyflower episode?
Last edit: 05 Jun 2018 21:48 by hotseatgames.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.331 seconds