October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2437 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
09 Jul 2018 19:37 #277213 by blatz
I pretty much only buy stuff to pimp out Frostgrave and Gaslands. Kids love them. Friends love them. Everything else I own is a shelf toad right now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Cranberries, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2018 20:20 #277215 by san il defanso

Colorcrayons wrote:

san il defanso wrote: For the first time in my life I've managed to land a weekly D&D group, which has made me feel better about spending money on that part of the hobby. To that end I picked up the Tomb of Annihilation module, hopefully to DM it later this year.

Slow going through my first read through, but it's basically a hex crawl set in Chult, with lots of undead. Cool!

is it like the original but updated for new rules?

It's different from Tomb of Horrors, which got an updated 5e release last year in Tales From the Yawning Portal. This is much more of a full-fledged adventure that goes from levels 1-11 (so it says on the back).

It does have the same lich running the titular tomb though, which would be Acererac.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
10 Jul 2018 12:15 - 10 Jul 2018 12:16 #277230 by RobertB
I bought a copy of Legend of the Five Rings LCG for my birthday, and I'm not really sure why. I remember seeing some of the L5R CCG storyline tournaments in progress way back when, and thinking it was pretty darn cool. Maybe I had been out in the sun a little too long.

I might be able to beg someone to play it besides my wife. NFW would she pick it for fun, and it would take too much begging on my part to make her play it.
Last edit: 10 Jul 2018 12:16 by RobertB.

More
17 Jul 2018 21:40 #277800 by hotseatgames
I ordered Fantasy Realms after reading Charlie's review. It sounds fun!

More
18 Jul 2018 08:27 #277806 by charlest

hotseatgames wrote: I ordered Fantasy Realms after reading Charlie's review. It sounds fun!

This game is totally underrated and another victim of Wizkids not promoting. One of the most satisfying 10 minute games I've played.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
30 Jul 2018 08:39 #278721 by Chaz
For my birthday, my wife got me the first new games I've gotten in a while.

Arkham Horror Card Game - Way late to the party on this. We'll see if she's into it. If so, and we finish what's in the box, I guess I get to figure out where to go from there with all the stuff that's come out since.

Mythos Tales - Even though this has been out for a while I think I got the first printing that I know has a fair amount of mistakes in it? Gonna need to make sure that's the case and then figure out how to best integrate the errata without spoiling things.

More
30 Jul 2018 11:59 #278757 by Ken B.
Always seem to have a buying bump right around con season, then it goes dormant for awhile unless something just absolutely blows me away.

Recently have bought:

Lords of Hellas + Terrain expansion: One of those that I wish I'd known about during Kickstarter. Probably a game that as it catches on more and more will be spoken of in more revered tones.

Roll Player + Expansion: I like dice. I like dice drafting and placement. I like the theme, it's so meta. We played it at DTC and I decided would be a good one to have. The expansion I have not tried but supposedly gives you something to do with the character you've created at the end.

VAST + Bonus Cards + Miniatures Expansion: Totally based off watching playthroughs and reading about the asymmetrical play. A great theme and new, even weird mechanics that work deserve to be rewarded. Maybe I'll get burned and won't like this as much as I think, but I've had some juuusssst near misses in this category for a long time (Dungeon Twister, Dungeon Heroes). Hopefully this is good fun.

Scythe stuff: One of my favorite designs of the past few years. There was stuff I didn't have yet including pre-ordering the new legacy-style expansion.

My Little Scythe: Because fuck yeah, I want to play Scythe with my kids. So fuck yeah.

Rush n' Bash + Winter expansion: Looks like Mario Kart the board game, but good this time. (Also another category where there have been near misses.) There was a bundle special on this at DTC.

Thanos Rising: Nice cooperative dice game. Amazing family game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, charlest, WadeMonnig

More
06 Aug 2018 07:06 #279292 by birdman37
Q: What's the most expensive part of a board game?
A: The box, apparently.

I came across a copy of Twilight Imperium 4e that was heavily marked down, from AU$260 to AU$140. What was wrong with it? Well, the shrink wrap had split, and the box lid had been torn in one corner. No warped cardboard, no lost/damaged pieces, the only thing that was wrong was the box. Everything else was in mint condition, so I bought that and a roll of thick cellotape for a further AU$0.50, and I walked away a very happy man!

Gotta love nerds and their OCD... :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: cdennett, WadeMonnig

More
17 Aug 2018 12:02 #279973 by ChristopherMD
Got an Amazon gift card from work so I ordered This War of Mine: The Board Game to add to my solo library.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, SuperflyPete

More
17 Aug 2018 12:07 #279975 by charlest

ChristopherMD wrote: Got an Amazon gift card from work so I ordered This War of Mine: The Board Game to add to my solo library.

Brilliant game, hope you enjoy it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
01 Sep 2018 18:56 #280942 by Ah_Pook
I bought a copy of Das Letzte Paradies secondhand from a guy in Germany on BGG about a month ago, and I'm hoping it actually shows up soon. International shipping is a bitch. Its a more or less forgotten Knizia auction game designed right around the same time as Modern Art. It uses a Vickrey auction (where the high bidder pays the bid of the second highest bidder) which encourages inflated bidding, and which combined with the rule where everyone who ends up with less money than they started with auto loses at the end sounds like a real good time. Plus it has an explicit negotiation aspect which sounds interesting. Also its wildly overproduced. Its a 30 minute auction game but it comes in like an old style FFG coffin box. The board is huge for no reason, all the bits are giant wooden things... its just ridiculous. So anyway, I definitely needed another dusty old auction game that I can force on people. That much is clear. Especially one that will take up my entire bag if I try to bring it to game night. It was a classic Good Decision.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Cranberries, repoman

More
08 Sep 2018 19:44 #281301 by wadenels
I ordered Monster Maker 30th Anniversary Edition from Japan, thinking the english rules on BGG would be sufficient. Spoiler alert: they are not; too many differences from the old edition. However I have an awesome friend learning Japanese translating it with card paste-ups and the works.

We played it today and it's a really fun cross between Incan Gold and Mille Bornes with great artwork. You travel into the labyrinth a certain distance to the treasure room and have to travel back out. You play monster cards on other players; if you have a monster card in front of you then you're stuck until you play character cards to kill the monster with die rolls. Some treasures you get are also weapons that help. Once a player gets out the game wraps up quick with treasures and distance penalties for not traveling the same distance in and out.

I dig it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
09 Sep 2018 18:18 #281346 by Erik Twice
I was very excited to go to a local convention because they have a second hand market thing going on and I got a lot of great games on past years. I bought March of the Ants, Cosmic Encounter and Tragedy Looper there and they were incredibly cheap and unpunched.

This year it wasn't that great. I found a bunch of games that were on my list, but prices were high and I put them back pretty quickly. There's really no reason to buy an used copy of Unlock at 28€ when a new one is literally one euro more. I almost walked away empty-handed but as I was about to leave I saw a copy of Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective for 25€ and grabbed it. There was also a deluxe copy of Pax Porifiana that grabbed me, but I decided to save the money for either Bios: Megafauna, High Frontier or the upcoming deluxe edition of Pax Renaissance.

There were a couple games that were expensive but that tempted me. There was a copy of Greed Incorporated for 90€, but I decided it was a gamble and I did not want to especulate. There was also a copy of Titan with "Titan miniatures" attached for 60€ which was probably a steal but, again, it was a big gamble and I was not in the mood of speculating.

Either way, I'm superhappy because I took a bunch of comics and other nerdy stuff and managed to sell the vast majority of it. I sold stuff I hadn't used in more than a decade, which makes me kind of proud.

Now the question is whether to buy a boardgame I like or save up a bit to finish my gaming setup. I only need a couple things (RGB Capture card and a big Switcher for all the cables) and between the money I saved up by not buying games and the money I got by selling I could get one of those things. It's crazy to think there's such a thing as a "complete" gaming setup but I'm getting awfully close.

Of course, if I sell my Magic cards I could get everything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Msample

More
09 Sep 2018 19:05 - 09 Sep 2018 19:39 #281352 by Count Orlok
[Wrong thread, nevermind]
Last edit: 09 Sep 2018 19:39 by Count Orlok.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

More
12 Sep 2018 10:57 #281486 by Ah_Pook
Continuing down the rabbit hole of buying obscure old maths heavy games that I will have limited opportunity to actually get people to play, I bought a copy of Schoko & Co. It's a German game from 1987 about competing chocolate companies. It's the kind of game where you have to be sure you have enough secretaries and accountants on staff or else you won't actually get the money from your sales because it gets tied up in paperwork. It's got a variety of interesting sounding auctions. I'm excited about it, but I fully recognize I will be in the minority there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Nodens

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.473 seconds