October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
07 Jan 2019 09:14 #289339 by charlest

repoman wrote:

southernman wrote:

repoman wrote: Got the two expansions for Western Legends today; "Fistful of Extras" and "The Good, The Bad, and The Handsome".

I say expansions but of course, for the most part, this is all stuff that should have been in the original game. The new items especially should not have been set aside for an expansion. However that is the world we live in nowadays. Keep stuff out of the original box to keep the initial price point down and then sell it at a premium later in an "expansion". I guess I can complain all I want but I bought it so who's to say they are wrong.

Anyway, Fistful has some good stuff in it. Six new characters along with minis. A minor variant to use when fighting bandits to give them a bit more color and individuality. Some Jokers to put in the poker deck for a bit more luck/randomness. All pretty cool.

"The Good" is a bit more suspect. Three new characters but no minis, a few new story cards that give out "legendary" items as a reward and a slim deck of said legendary items which are to be kept face down at the general store. Ok, that's alright I guess. The Legendary items though are visually almost identical to the normal items so that might be a problem during play/set up. We'll see. Also $25 for this expansion seems excessive. Again I complain but I did pay up. So call me a sucker.

I'm really thinking about getting this game as all the reports here are star. Does it play well with just the base game though (enough variety, replayability) or does it need the Fistful expansion to make it a worthwhile game ?

The base game is perfectly good on it's own. The larger of the two expansions adds stuff I just know was in the actual game and taken out for cost purposes or to have material for an expansion on day one. The items especially. They "complete" the game but you won't miss them if you never see them.

My only actual caution is to be sure you will have enough players. The game is going to suffer with just 2 or 3 players. 4 is ok. 5 to 6 is better. They do have a "jam car", a cowboy under AI control, called The Man in Black to help with this lack at lower player counts but I have never used him so I don't know how well it works.

Video below to edify those who don't know what a Jam Car is:

The Man in Black is kind of shitty. It allows you to play and could help if you wanted to learn it with another player before breaking it out for a larger group, but it's not a long-term thing where you'd want to use the MIB over multiple plays.

Totally agree with wanting 4-6, not worth playing with 3 as it's a unique adventure game that really wants player interaction (Marshall's hunting outlaws, outlaws hunting prospectors, etc.)

I bought All Things Zombie: Reloaded, a lock 'n load post apocalypse zombie game based on the Two Hour Wargames miniatures line with the same name. I was a big fan of this minis game several years ago and am hoping this will give me a taste without needing the terrain/minis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2019 09:36 #289340 by Ah_Pook
Local place had a weekly deal on Carpe Diem, which I picked up for my wife. She loves a good time laying game.

More
07 Jan 2019 11:30 #289350 by Erik Twice
I haven't bought anything yet but I'm planning a couple things.

First, I'm going to purcharse a VTES deck and probably buy the new precons Black Chantry is releasing. If I get them all I'll have a full 5 player set, which I think is more than worthwhile.

The big issue is that I have to buy mostly singles from here and there, pay shipping and contend with different editions. I would avoid Jyhad cards, if possibly, because they look worse than newer cards, for example, but it seems impossible to do so. Forunately, proxies are allowed mostly everywhere so I can skip some of the expensive cards for now.

Between you and me, I wish I could just buy a bulk collection or a big stack of staples.

--

I'm also looking to build a Magic cube. A semi-powered one, with the most interesting broken cards (Recurring Nightmare, Tinker, Survival) but few of the way of broken mana (No Power 9, only Lotus Petal, Mox Diamond and Chrome Mox). I plan to get the cheaper cards, raid what little is left of my collection and proxy up the rest.

There are several reasons why I decided to build a Magic cube:

1) I think limited (Sealed, Draft) is the best way to play Magic. It reduces the flaws of the system because the games are slower, you draw more cards and decks are less extreme. More cards are viable and yet there are still archetypes and builds and so on.

2) I have a couple "historical" decks I meant to use for casual games but they haven't proven great. The main issue is that they are not really balanced against each other, even if they existed in the same environment. Even if it doesn't seem so at first glance, there are very bad and very good matchups and you can do little to change that.

3) Cube would allow me to play very fun, very interesting cards in a "fair" environment. Here's the thing: I don't play Magic to bash creatures. That's not the fun part. The fun part are cards with great effects and rules-breaking madness. Often these cards lead to unfun games in Constructed because you can pile them up and get a lot of work out of them but here their effect is much smaller.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, Jexik

More
07 Jan 2019 12:50 - 07 Jan 2019 12:50 #289361 by southernman

repoman wrote:

southernman wrote:

repoman wrote: Got the two expansions for Western Legends today; "Fistful of Extras" and "The Good, The Bad, and The Handsome"...

I'm really thinking about getting this game as all the reports here are star. Does it play well with just the base game though (enough variety, replayability) or does it need the Fistful expansion to make it a worthwhile game ?

The base game is perfectly good on it's own. The larger of the two expansions adds stuff I just know was in the actual game and taken out for cost purposes or to have material for an expansion on day one. The items especially. They "complete" the game but you won't miss them if you never see them.
My only actual caution is to be sure you will have enough players. The game is going to suffer with just 2 or 3 players. 4 is ok. 5 to 6 is better. They do have a "jam car", a cowboy under AI control, called The Man in Black to help with this lack at lower player counts but I have never used him so I don't know how well it works.

Cheers, you are slowly pushing me to it. My AT group only has four but we're annoying enough to aggressively interact with each other, my euro group is larger (4-6) and as it is not co-op (most of them like to be the sole winner) it may be good enough for them to try.
Last edit: 07 Jan 2019 12:50 by southernman.

More
07 Jan 2019 14:57 #289366 by hotseatgames
In 3 days a new Western Legends kickstarter launches. I may jump in on that.

More
07 Jan 2019 15:18 #289367 by Michael Barnes
This thing with re-kickstartering games can die painfully and slowly in a fire. I’d really like to play this game but fuck it, I’m not getting in on a campaign and waiting a year to play it. I’ll move right on by it. Just like with 7th Continent.

More
07 Jan 2019 15:27 #289371 by hotseatgames
It's to launch an expansion. I'm actually just assuming that the base game will be on offer as well; I could be wrong.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
07 Jan 2019 15:29 #289372 by charlest
Western Legends is not Kickstarter exclusive. However, for whatever reason they don't distribute their games to OLGS. I think Travis Chance wants to protect their price in a similar fashion to Asmodee.

You can find it on Amazon but your LGS should be able to order it from the distributor (not sure which).

More
07 Jan 2019 16:11 #289376 by hotseatgames
I have seen the base game in stores multiple times, but it's always full retail.

More
07 Jan 2019 16:31 #289380 by Legomancer
I haven't bought or backed anything yet this year. I thought I'd start by looking back on what I bought in 2018. In 2017 I challenged myself to only acquire 10 new games, and I failed (but actually not too badly). I made no such promise in 2018. I wanted to evaluate my game buying decisions before I used them again.

Here are the results.

In general:
1) I have pretty good instincts in many cases. I don't buy too many things I later regret.

2) I need to stay off Kickstarter, however. I had some good luck with it, but there were a bunch of things I should probably just have let go.

3) I need to play a lot more Neuroshima Hex.

4) I think that in general, things I got rid of once already are probably okay staying rid of.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, Frohike

More
12 Jan 2019 20:57 #289868 by DukeofChutney
hocked Pax Porfiriana, Autumn for Barbarossa and At Any Cost: Metz 1870

and with the proceeds bought London 2nd ed and a Theseus Dark Orbit. I am trying to strim down some of the shelf toads in my collection and pick up a few games that might appeal to my local friends. I might miss Pax, but Pax Renaissance is the more playable game and there is no real need to own both.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
17 Jan 2019 19:29 #290189 by hotseatgames
I failed Charlie's saving throw and bought his 2 expansions for Codex. Those will be fun to check out.... some day.

I also was swayed by the 2 great write-ups of Hellapagos, and I ordered that. I think it will be a hit on nights when I have a larger turnout.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, DukeofChutney, charlest

More
18 Jan 2019 14:19 #290224 by the_jake_1973
I also fell prey to the Hellapagos write-ups and expect it to arrive next week.

It will be a hit at work for sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike

More
18 Jan 2019 18:55 #290237 by mezike
Jeez, I hope the game doesn’t suck for you guys. If it does, it’s all KingPuts fault...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames, the_jake_1973

More
18 Jan 2019 19:34 #290242 by Cranberries

Ah_Pook wrote: Man I'm being really tempted by Wingspan, the new card combo tableau building game from Stonemaier. It's beautiful and it looks fun but... I just bought Everdell and also a bunch of other games...

Facebook (ugh) told me about this game and it looks great. The ratings for it are really high, but it may be in the initial hype phase.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.409 seconds