October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What games are you BUYING? ARCHIVE

More
31 Jan 2010 22:57 - 31 Jan 2010 22:57 #54428 by KingPut
The #1 game on my list is Runewars:

Angels "KingPut you don't need any more games, you should put more money in your kids colleges fund"

- My game collection is now at about 100
- I still have a couple of games in shrink
- My C&C:Ancients aren't even fully snickered
- I don't need a 3rd FFG big coffin game
- I haven't played StarCraft in about a year
- Malloc said he's buying Runewars and Horus Heresy
- This is an expensive $70 - 80.

Devils "KingPut, you deserve it. You work hard go out and buy the game"

+ Corey's the designer and his last 3 or 4 games have been great
+ This is the game that Age of Conan should have been
+ $70 - 80 for all this stuff
+ I gave away 2 monopoly sets so there is room on the shelf.

Decision - Not to buy at this time. I'll play Malloc's copy. If I love it, I'll buy it.
Last edit: 31 Jan 2010 22:57 by KingPut.
The topic has been locked.
More
31 Jan 2010 23:07 #54429 by NeonPeon
I'm eagerly awaiting my copy of of Cosmic Incursion to arrive from Dogstar Games...I pulled the trigger because (duh) I love Cosmic Encounter, I know it will get a lot of use, the additions sound cool, and it's pretty inexpensive (total w/ shipping $21 and change). Otherwise I have no planned purchases except the new edition of Betrayal At House on the Hill. Could be waiting a while for that one...
More
31 Jan 2010 23:23 #54431 by madwookiee
Just grabbed Cosmic Incursion - I'm impressed with the new aliens and the Reward deck. Looks like a lot of fun. I'm on the fence about Runewars - realistically, I haven't gotten any of my other coffin box games to the table in months, so this will just eat into what little time I already have for Starcraft. But it looks so damn solid.

I'm holding out for the next Heroscape expansion instead but if I keep reading great stuff about it I might cave.
More
31 Jan 2010 23:25 #54433 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I am in the middle of possibly the slowest game purchase I have ever made: a home made version of Merchant of Venus.

I have downloaded the files and started purchasing components. The first pieces will be made tonight, but I suspect it will be quite a while before it is complete and playable.
More
31 Jan 2010 23:36 - 31 Jan 2010 23:40 #54434 by Hatchling
Good idea for a thread. Here are some ramblings about recent purchases:

Talisman Revised 4th Edition. I wanted a game that didn't require constant concentration, but allowed me and friends to hang out, enjoy some food and drink, etc. Being a big fan of Titan, I like the idea of managing the luck in games with a roll and move mechanic. I wanted the game to have some randomness, player interaction and that told a story. Tales of the Arabian Nights didn`t quite work for me. Talisman's longevity, and comments by Aaron Tub and Ubarose were definitely decisive factors too. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to play it yet (I'm insanely busy with work these days).

Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I have some friends who are ridiculously obsessed with the show. Shifting schedules and general life changes have caused us to drift into different circles, and so I was thinking about reconnecting with these friends when I scrounged this game. We played this not too long ago and it was fun, though the games ended prematurely because of foolish moves. I'll mention comments by Ubarose again here as factors that made the decision to buy easier.

Hold the Line. I have extended family who live in the Philidelphia area and who have many and various connections the US military. When we hang out they encourage me to check out the revolutionary history in the area. I'd like to do that one day. So when I read KingPut's review of Hold the Line here it totally caught my interest. What I also liked was that it wasn't card-driven. For some reason I am mildly annoyed by the hand-management aspect in Manoeuvre and CC:A. I like constraints, but not those kind of constraints. The use of dice Hold the Line was the answer I was looking for. Also, I like the fact that it plays well solo apparently. Anyway, this is another one that I haven't had a chance to play more than just a half-game by myself. I can't wait for my schedule to free up a bit get into this one.

Summoner Wars. This was a bit of an impulse buy after reading Matt Drake's review. I like short, fast, fight games, so this game is exactly my kind of thing. I also like the idea of buying indie.

I was *very* close to getting War for Edadh, but a few things about that game have caused me to hesitate, and now I have too many unplayed games to justify any more purchases for quite some time.
Last edit: 31 Jan 2010 23:40 by Hatchling.
More
31 Jan 2010 23:47 #54436 by Dr. Mabuse
Well, my gaming budget has been at $0 for the past few months (ballet is fucking expensive, people) and will be such for awhile, so I've been involved in math trades.

TRADED AWAY:

Dead of Night
Condottiere (not FFG)
Cash 'n' Guns
A Game of Thrones (plus expansions)

RECEIVED IN TRADE:

Drakon (3rd ed.)
Circus Maximus
Pandemic
Squad Leader (w/ Cross of Iron)
More
31 Jan 2010 23:48 #54437 by Jason Lutes
Runewars just arrived a few days ago, and now for the first time in like 5 years there is no boardgame I want to buy. I want to just focus on the games I have, most of which I've hardly played at all, and get better at them!

However, FFG's last mystery box may puncture my newfound contentedness.
More
01 Feb 2010 00:25 #54440 by Gary Sax
Ancient_of_MuMu wrote:

I am in the middle of possibly the slowest game purchase I have ever made: a home made version of Merchant of Venus.

I have downloaded the files and started purchasing components. The first pieces will be made tonight, but I suspect it will be quite a while before it is complete and playable.

Sweet, post when you finish to let us know how it goes. I've toyed with doing this.

Bought Runewars. Am loving it so far. I have Starcraft but it isn't my thing... I haven't been able to trade it away yet. Runewars is definitely much more My Thing.
More
01 Feb 2010 00:25 - 01 Feb 2010 00:26 #54441 by Hatchling
Dr_Mabuse wrote:

TRADED AWAY:

Dead of Night

Gaaa! Say it ain't so! The version with the cool box???
Nooooooo......!
Last edit: 01 Feb 2010 00:26 by Hatchling.
More
01 Feb 2010 01:10 #54442 by metalface13
Well here is what is on my "Too Buy" list:

Runewars: This game sounds great and all the reports so far have been really positive. I generally only play Ameritrash games nowadays with two players, but I like having the option for a game to scale. Runewars sounds like it plays great with 2 because there are still so many fronts to compete on: For titles, with heroes, against neutral units and against each other.

Pocket Battles: Celts vs. Romans: I played this with my brother last weekend and I can't stop thinking about it. It is cheap and a lot of fun. It's like a pocket-sized miniatures game meets Commands and Colors, but without the hand management.

The World Cup 2010 Card Game: I love The World Cup Game, but this sounds like it will play a little faster. It doesn't look like any US distributors are pickings this up so I may have to order from the UK.

I'm make a plug for my thread where I am trying to sell/trade stuff while I'm here. Check it out!
More
01 Feb 2010 07:13 #54446 by KingPut
I decided to pre-order Washington's War from GMT. My three favorite games I added to my collection in 2009 were Hold the Line, Hannibal and MEQ. Playing Hold the Line made me interested in learning more about the American Revolution. I'm reading Washington's Crossing now. Hannibal made me interested in playing more card driven war games. I haven't played We the People but it's one of the highest rated games by my Geekbuddies. Washington's War looks like a shorter version of We the People (dice rather than cards for combat). I just hope we don't end up with 7 copies of Washington's War in my game group.
More
01 Feb 2010 07:20 - 01 Feb 2010 07:21 #54447 by mjl1783
Well, my group just recently bought me Dungeon Twister 2, as well as expansions 3, 4, and 5. So, I thought "what the Hell?" and picked up the three french ones.

Then, I thought "what the hell?" and bought Block Mania with the expansion.

Then, I thought "what the hell?" and picked up Junta.

Then, I realized that the number of games I own has grown from an insane one to a really fuckin' insane one, and that I need to get some (a lot) of this shit out of my house.

Now, I'm trying to just stick to trading for what I want, which at the moment, is Up Front, Kremlin, and not much else. I just offered some dude on BGG both Combat Commander games, BattleLore, C&C:A, and Tide of Iron with the desert expansion and scenario book for his Up Front. I really hope he takes it...

Anyone want a wicked sweet 1st ed. copy of Runebound? Anyone? Anyone?

*sob*
Last edit: 01 Feb 2010 07:21 by mjl1783.
More
01 Feb 2010 08:22 #54449 by Sagrilarus
Dr_Mabuse wrote:

RECEIVED IN TRADE:
Circus Maximus

Which version of Circus Maximus?

I just purchased Dawn of World War II aircraft, for absolutely no good reason. I think the game actually plays better with the cards, but the planes just look cool. $32 of look cool so that my deluxe set planes can have wingmen. Complete waste of funds.

S.
More
01 Feb 2010 08:23 #54450 by stormseeker75
I just picked up Campaign Manager 2008 as well as Cthulhu Rising. Twilight Creations should be ashamed of tacking the them onto that last one. I have more in common with the Cthulhu mythos than that game does. Hopefully the gameplay is at least good. It looks like the iPhone app Robot Master.
More
01 Feb 2010 08:46 #54452 by Sagrilarus
KingPut wrote:

I haven't played We the People but it's one of the highest rated games by my Geekbuddies. Washington's War looks like a shorter version of We the People . . .

I got the op to sit down to We The People for a couple of turns at WBC and I think it's living as much on its reputation as on its actual value. People are asking $125 for the thing which is way out of proportion.

At the time it was published it had some pretty Avant-garde concepts and mechanics, but I think there's other stuff available now that gives it a run, largely by modding on WtP's design.

I'm inches away from pre-ordering Founding Fathers. Anyone care to push me one direction or the other? I love the subject matter and it certainly has a fine pedigree.

S.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.748 seconds