October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What IOS games have you been playing?

More
16 Feb 2012 15:27 - 16 Feb 2012 16:19 #116673 by Matt Thrower
OK, I have a giftcard burning a hole in my pocket. I'd like some actual board game conversions. Not sure what to drop money on. Candidates so far are ...

Ravenmark - Quite fancy this, but vaguely put off by the fact that it's not an *actual* board game conversion and that's what I'm in the mood for right now. Is it real-time or turn-based?

Ascension - Everyone raves about this but I've been really turned cold by every deck builder I've ever played. So do people like it just because it's easy to pick up and play or is the game *actually fun*?

Elder Sign - I've never played the board game but I'm pretty tempted by this. But since I don't know the rules, slightly put off by the entry barrier. Is it easy to get into if you've never played the original?

Imperial - Put off by cost and potentially substantial play time to finish one game. Is it actually worth playing against the AI? Can you save games mid-way?

T&E - A part of me thinks it'd be nice to have a heavy strategy game to really work my brain sometimes. Another part of me thinks Imperial would probably fulfil this slot better. A very big part of me is desperately shouting that this is a pointless vanity project and that really what I want to do is mindlessly slaughter orcs and feel like an omnipotent deity.

What to buy? I can probably afford two.
Last edit: 16 Feb 2012 16:19 by Matt Thrower.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2012 16:10 #116680 by hotseatgames
Ascendancy is a turn based space 4x game. ;)

Ascension is a must-have. Not only is it a fantastic game, but you can find many opponents right here.

But you HAVE to get Neuroshima Hex! It's also on sale today. It's fantastic, and if they ever add the asynch MP, I'll be in heaven. It's my favorite board game of all time, and the iOS version kicks ass.

More
16 Feb 2012 16:20 #116681 by Matt Thrower

hotseatgames wrote: Ascendancy is a turn based space 4x game. ;)

Ascension is a must-have. Not only is it a fantastic game, but you can find many opponents right here.

Haha! Fixed :)

hotseatgames wrote: But you HAVE to get Neuroshima Hex! It's also on sale today. It's fantastic, and if they ever add the asynch MP, I'll be in heaven. It's my favorite board game of all time, and the iOS version kicks ass.

Got it. I'm lukewarm about it. But then I'm lukewarm about the game itself. Asynch play would certainly be a big bonus though.

More
16 Feb 2012 16:49 - 16 Feb 2012 16:53 #116684 by Bullwinkle
I've never played the Elder Sign board game, but after a fumbling couple of games, I found the app easy enough to understand. Becomes fairly easy to win once you understand the strategy. Highly recommended.

Ravenmark is a turn-based strategy game. It's very well done, but as you say, not a boardgame. It's really a series of set scenarios (fixed troops and starting positions) to battle through. Lots of options. I don't know...I didn't quite connect with it as strongly as I expected to, but that may just be me. A replay might change my opinion of it.

Can't comment on the others. (Although wasn't Imperial supposed to be a bad implementation? There was some discussion about this on BGG, I think.)
Last edit: 16 Feb 2012 16:53 by Bullwinkle.

More
16 Feb 2012 16:59 #116685 by metalface13
Ascension is good. My only experience with deckbuilders were Dominion and one game of Rune Age. I did not like Dominion. At all. It felt like a massive shuffle fest. And I sucked at it.

Ascension iOS is a really slick app. The game itself is pretty fun and I like it much better than Dominion. Part of it helps that you don't have to deal with shuffling decks 80 times in a game. And all the points and costs and stuff are handled for you. The app highlights what cards you are able to purchase which also speeds decisions along a little. I'm pretty bad at the game, but I still like to play it.

I can't comment on the rest of what you're looking into. I've avoided most them so far because they don't have asynch play.

More
16 Feb 2012 18:03 #116696 by aerodynamics

metalface13 wrote: Ascension iOS is a really slick app. The game itself is pretty fun and I like it much better than Dominion. Part of it helps that you don't have to deal with shuffling decks 80 times in a game. And all the points and costs and stuff are handled for you. The app highlights what cards you are able to purchase which also speeds decisions along a little. I'm pretty bad at the game, but I still like to play it.

+1. Having played a dozen games or so, I'm starting to pick up a bit more strategy instead of just buying whatever card comes along that I can afford. Playing against all the other people on F:AT is a lot of fun.

Tigris & Euphrates is a very good boardgame conversion if you're in the mood for a heavy duty Knizia strategy game. The AI plays very well and will challenge you (although their opening moves become extremely predictable). The only downside for me is that with the app it's easy to reel off a bunch of games quickly and the 'dryness' of the design comes through. I played it quite a bit when I first downloaded, but haven't revisited in a while.

More
16 Feb 2012 20:29 #116719 by SaMoKo
Imperial is a better game imo than Tigris Euphrates, but Tigris is a much much better iOS implementation. The AI is somewhat good in TE, which is pretty impressive. My only gripe is that the AI turns can be really fast, so you don't always have time to see what they've done. Turn on open scoring and that shouldn't be much of a problem though.

More
16 Feb 2012 22:26 #116741 by Grudunza
Picked up Caylus (on sale today). I can see how this would be drier than dirt around a table for a couple hours, but on a mobile device for 30 minutes it's not bad.

More
16 Feb 2012 23:58 #116754 by Bullwinkle
How's the AI on Caylus?

More
17 Feb 2012 04:54 #116770 by dysjunct
Calyus' AI is okay. Not great head to head, but gets challenging against multiple bots.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bullwinkle

More
17 Feb 2012 12:30 #116790 by benny lava

Grudunza wrote: Picked up Caylus (on sale today). I can see how this would be drier than dirt around a table for a couple hours, but on a mobile device for 30 minutes it's not bad.

I picked it up too, and those were my thoughts exactly. Now I can give in to my secret Euro urges without having that big ugly box on my shelf.

I also picked up Neuroshima Hex Puzzle for 99 cents. Anybody played that?

More
17 Feb 2012 13:15 #116792 by hotseatgames
NH Puzzle is fun. Some of the puzzles get pretty challenging. I don't think playing it made me better at the board game though.

More
17 Feb 2012 16:42 #116823 by TheDukester

hotseatgames wrote: NH Puzzle is fun. Some of the puzzles get pretty challenging. I don't think playing it made me better at the board game though.

NH Puzzle is great. To date, it's the only iOS game where I've earned every achievement.

But you're right, it does nothing to improve your NH skills if you already know how to play. The opponent never even takes a move and many of the setups are illegal/impossible. Fun puzzles, to be sure, but no one is going to become an NH master solving them.

More
17 Feb 2012 19:32 #116849 by Grudunza
Beat Sneak Bandit

This is a great one, where you have to tap in time with the music to move your character, and figure out how to successfully complete each stage. I think I like Spy Mouse a little better overall in terms of being a similar type of movement planning puzzler, but this one is also very well done.

More
17 Feb 2012 20:42 #116860 by Matt Thrower
Elder Sign: is there any particular reason to pay th 100% markup on the HD version for play on the iPad? Or can I just pay for the cheap version and magnify it?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.310 seconds