October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BAND(s) are you seeing? ARCHIVE

More
14 May 2010 09:25 #62959 by Columbob
Them Crooked Vultures (Josh Homme, John Paul Jones and Dave Grohl) were in town last night and apparently tore the place up, although they played in a much too big venue (about 3000 people showed up to an arena concert). Would have gone if I hadn't so many other shows lined up.
The topic has been locked.
More
14 May 2010 10:36 #62970 by Not Sure
Jur wrote:

One band I can't understand you guys not giving more love is Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. Went to see them again yesterday and they were awesome. This band just rocks so hard it makes me weep for joy.

I've seen them. It was a long time ago, though. 2002, I think. They were pretty good, but I haven't kept up with what they've been doing.

I enjoy playing "Weapon of Choice" on Guitar Hero.
More
14 May 2010 13:34 #63000 by Pat II
Columbob wrote:

Them Crooked Vultures (Josh Homme, John Paul Jones and Dave Grohl) were in town last night and apparently tore the place up, although they played in a much too big venue (about 3000 people showed up to an arena concert). Would have gone if I hadn't so many other shows lined up.

Which venue? Corel (Scotia) or the Civic Centre? These guys are good.

I saw Porcupine Tree last week and the show was killer. They played their most recent album from start to finish, took a 10 minute intermission and then played for another hour. The album is The Incident - good stuff.
More
14 May 2010 15:20 #63010 by Columbob
Pat II wrote:

Columbob wrote:

Which venue? Corel (Scotia) or the Civic Centre? These guys are good.

I saw Porcupine Tree last week and the show was killer. They played their most recent album from start to finish, took a 10 minute intermission and then played for another hour. The album is The Incident - good stuff.

Scotiabank place.

Didn't realize PT came back to Montréal this spring, would have liked to see them. I preferred their 2 previous albums to The Incident though, still good.
More
14 May 2010 21:15 #63074 by jay718
Jack Hooligan wrote:

Hey jay718,

How was that Specials show? I have a buddy that caught it the night before. took some cool pictures and says Terry Hall sounds pretty much the same.

Didn't realize this thread was still going...show was pretty amazing. Felt very adult. Hired a baby sitter; got dressed up; first wearing of a new fred perry I got as a gift for the occasion. Terry Hall seemed like he would have rather been anywhere but there and even flung his mic stand across the stage in an apparent rage, but all told was fucking brilliant. Also, if you see any older footage of them he never looks exactly psyched to be performing. Turns out they're playing a free gig in Central Park in August. Should be great.

Buncha buddies of mine went to see the Buzzcocks last night; I had to work. Turns out there was a bomb scare in Union Square and everyone at the gig had to stay in the overpacked club for 90 minutes after the set ended while the NYPD sorted it. They wound up detonating two gas cannisters in the middle of Irving Place. Venue bar was closed for the duration as well. People were fucking irate by the time they got to my spot. Unsurprisingly, I wasn't nearly upset enough about missing out on this debacle to post to the 'what bands did you miss' thread.
More
14 May 2010 21:35 #63076 by Josh Look
Forgot to post it earlier, but I saw Against Me! about a week and half ago. Killer show. Their new album leaked (on purpose, I suspect) and it's left me lukewarm, but they still tore the hell out of the place. They still play a few off of Reinventing Axl Rose, and my favorite, "Turn Those Clapping Hands Into Balled Fists." Even the new stuff sounded good.

Who knows, maybe the new album will grow on me. It took about a year for me to realize just how good New Wave was.
More
20 Jul 2010 16:08 #68816 by jay718
Thought I'd ressurect this as there's a lot of good shit going on soon. Going to see Burning Spear play their annual NY show tomorrow night for free! Only difference is that it's in Manhattan this time around instead of Brooklyn. Burning Spear is easily my favorite reggae musician and he puts on one of the best live performances I've ever seen, from any genre of music. Can't wait. Last year we brought our 3 week old son (the missus and I REALLY needed to get out of the house), so Burning Spear will be his first AND second concert.

Sleep is playing a couple of shows in the next two months also. One upstate where they'll play Holy Mountain' all the way through along with Mudhoney erforming 'Superfuzz Bigmuff'and the Stooges doing 'Raw Power.' That would be sick, but it's like 2 hours upstate and 160 bucks to boot. They're playing in Brooklyn the first week of September and I can get on the list, so choosings really a no brainer.

The Specials free central park gig's in a few weeks as well. Notable free gigs I missed in the last 2 weeks: The Night Marchers at Coney Island, and Murder City Devils at the waterfront in Williamsbsurg. Can't imagine that last one was any fun. Seems like every shitbag hipster who you'd just love to punch in the neck is a huge MCD fan and when you combine that with Williamsburg, you've got a real shit show on your hands. They were great a few years back though. I also missed 'Punk Island;' a free show on Governers Island which boasted bands like Bad Luck 13 Riot Extravaganza, D.O.A., Negative Approach, Assrash, and about 100 others.
More
20 Jul 2010 16:16 #68818 by Mr. White
Second baby due next month, so lots of time and cash going into that.

Already have my ticket for the Nov Social Distortion (w/ Lucero and Frank Turner) show. For 20 years I've been trying to get into a Social D concert and one thing or another has always come up. Be glad to finally check this off the list. I've also got a passing interest in seeing Turner live. Lucero's a good band as well. Should be a great night.

Speaking of annual shows, Jay. NYC's The Slackers do an annual 2 night show down here that sells out both nights. I think they even have a cd 'Live at the Flamingo Cantina in Austin Texas). Anyway, are they big in NYC? I really dig them, but still can't figure out how they've been able to almost lay claim to Austin when other 'recent' ska/reggae/rock-steady bands haven't as much.
More
20 Jul 2010 16:25 #68821 by Black Barney
gonna see GREAT BIG SEA in September in upstate NY

they're playing some Irish festival along with some others I like:

Barra MacNeils (now with 2 of the Slainte Mhath dudes)
Enter the Haggis (surprisingly decent)
Hair of the Dog

and other stuff
More
20 Jul 2010 16:28 #68822 by Mr. White
Great Big Sea, that's that band from NewFoundland that Crowe hangs with isn't it? They've got a few songs I enjoy. Enter the Haggis isn't that bad.

Who I'd _really_ like to see is OysterBand, but they don't come down to these parts.
More
20 Jul 2010 17:00 #68828 by mads b.
Went to see Regina Spektor last week and it was fucking intense. Saw her in Anaheim at Halloween some years back where she smiled and talked all the time. But even though she played with a band this time, she was very quiet. Halfway through she explains this is because the cellist they were touring with died just a week earlier - information which totally transformed the mood of the entire room.

It ended up being a rather short concert (understandable) and she didn't play a lot of the songs I really like, but it was still absolutely fabulous.
More
21 Jul 2010 10:12 #68856 by Black Barney
I just heard a song from her for the first time last night! REALLY nice voice.

Jack, you mean Russell Crowe? I don't know about that but yeah GBS is the band of Newfoundland
More
21 Jul 2010 11:06 #68863 by jay718
I can't really speak to the popularity of the Slackers here. I saw them play with the Aggrolites once and one or two other times. Didn't seem to have too huge of a following. Might be one of those 'big in Europe' type deals.

Another big one for free coming up is the Ponderosa Stomp at Lincoln Center. Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels, ? and the Mysterians, The Gories, and Death. Not the death metal band from Florida, Death is a sick, sick Detroit band from the early 70's whos 7 recorded songs were just unearthed an released last year. Absolutely amazing stuff. Early punk/ hard, heavy rock. Plus the Gories? This show is gonna rock. I can't wait.

Check out this writeup on Death from the Times a few months back.

www.nytimes.com/2009/03/15/arts/music/15rubi.html?_r=2

The following week Brooklyn's own Sharon Jones and the Dapkings are playing a free gig in Prospect Park with label mates the Budos Band. I've seen Sharon with her band about 12 times, and they're just amazing. So much energy. Her rockets on the rise these days too, with all kinds of national press, tv appearances and guest vocal spots. Check her out, she's the real deal. Not bad for an ex C.O. from Rikers!
More
21 Jul 2010 11:29 #68866 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re:What BANDS are you seeing?
Had a busy June, with Them Crooked Vultures (good new material), Crowded House (in full swing), The Black Keys (crowd went absolutely wild), Gomez (why is such a great band playing to such a small crowd?)

Now looking forward to Monster Magnet and Llowlands festival (with Band of Horses, Blod Red Shoes, Flying Lotus, Foals, Groove Armada, LCD Soundsystem, Mark Lanegan, Massive Attack, The National, Queens of the STonee Age and the Specials)
More
21 Jul 2010 15:14 #68912 by jay718
Man, I used to love Monster Magnet. I think they fell off after Dopes to Infinity though. I've got Spine of God on the jukebox at the bar. I haven't been that into QOTSA lately, but I love their early material. They shared the bill with Monster Magnet at a CMJ show I saw at CBGB's years ago, but didn't play on account of some technical difficulties. Unsane, Barkmarket, Zen Guerilla, Fu Manchu, and Today is the Day still played though. Killer show. I got to check out Them Crooked Vultures a few months back when some buddies of mine opened for them at Roseland. Pretty good stuff. Between this and Probot, Dave Grohl's life is like a fucking rock n roll fantasy camp.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds