U
ubarose
September 11, 2020
609 0
U
ubarose
September 11, 2020
457 0
Short Cut to Remote Gaming Forum (29 Aug 2020)

Since remote gaming has now become a significant part of how we play board games, we have added a short cut to this forum in the menu on the left.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOOK(s) are you reading?

More
22 Jan 2020 15:49 #306492 by Gary Sax
Still reading Wolfe's new sun books and they are genuinely great and creative. Their women characters are pretty weird and not well sketched so far, but it seems like there's also something up with them so that could be the explanation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2020 17:13 #306555 by Dr. Mabuse

I just finished "The Case of the Missing Men" by Kris Bertin and Alexander Forbes and my god, what a fantastic book! It's set in the fictional Hobtown, Nova Scotia and it's centred around a teen arriving in town and looking for his missing father. He hooks up with a group of teens called the Detective Club (led by Dana Nance) in order to solve the mysterious disappearance.

Everything about this from the outset feels like a satirical poke at the Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys books (the cover art included) but wow, it is NOTHING like those books. It starts slow but ramps up 2/3rds of the way in. So far there are only two books in the series but I effing love the tone, style and illustrations. Forbes' linework is brilliant. Oh yeah, it's also a graphic novel. I'm looking forward to rereading this and acquiring #2 in the series called "The Cursed Hermit".
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Nodens, BillyBobThwarton, DarthJoJo

More
23 Jan 2020 17:57 #306557 by Space Ghost

Gary Sax wrote: Still reading Wolfe's new sun books and they are genuinely great and creative. Their women characters are pretty weird and not well sketched so far, but it seems like there's also something up with them so that could be the explanation.

These are really good books. I am in a sci-fi book club and mentioned that we should read these. So far there has been reluctance as many have never heard of Wolfe (I thought he was much more well known).

I just finished The Gods Themselves, and enjoyed it for the most part. As I was reading it, I think I liked Part 1 better than Part 2. But then I got to Part 3 and realized that the aliens introduced in Part 2 were the most interesting part of the book -- too bad they were abandoned.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
24 Jan 2020 04:59 - 24 Jan 2020 12:37 #306563 by Nodens

Dr. Mabuse wrote: I just finished "The Case of the Missing Men" by Kris Bertin and Alexander Forbes and my god, what a fantastic book! ...Oh yeah, it's also a graphic novel.

Thank you, this sounds like it would be right down my alley.
Have you ever come across the "Bad Machinery" series by John Allison? You might find it worth checking that out.

(Edit: it's almost all online, if that's your thing: www.scarygoround.com/badmachinery/ar.php )
Last edit: 24 Jan 2020 12:37 by Nodens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
24 Jan 2020 15:58 #306595 by Dr. Mabuse

Nodens wrote:

Dr. Mabuse wrote: I just finished "The Case of the Missing Men" by Kris Bertin and Alexander Forbes and my god, what a fantastic book! ...Oh yeah, it's also a graphic novel.

Thank you, this sounds like it would be right down my alley.
Have you ever come across the "Bad Machinery" series by John Allison? You might find it worth checking that out.

(Edit: it's almost all online, if that's your thing: www.scarygoround.com/badmachinery/ar.php )

Thanks, I'll check it out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds