October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

Re:What ITEMS have you been buying?

More
23 Feb 2011 00:34 #88790 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I am trying to buy a car at the moment and it is pissing me off. A few weeks ago we were visiting the in-laws when during a thunderstorm we looked outside at one point and saw that there had been a flash flood and our car was up to its windows in water. Once the water drained away a couple of hours later we did manage to drive it home with a couple of inches of water still inside the car. We thought all we needed was new carpet and the debris cleaned out of the engine, but no, we have been told it is likely to be written off an we need a new one. Of course we are still in limbo with the insurance people as they have a backlog of cars to assess, so 2 weeks later, no car, no clue as to what is happening to it, and if written off how much we get.

However given it is likely to be gone, we have started the search for a new one. Some people may like the whole haggling and negotiation process, but I am not one. I just want to know the price and make my decision. It may be interesting to negotiate with one guy, but frankly if I am choosing between 5 different manufacturers and their various salesmen I don't have the time and energy to haggle with all of them.

It has struck me though that the reputation that car salesmen have is well deserved. None of them like to communicate through email, as they don't want written records of what they say, which is stupid because it doesn't really matter anyway as I just write it down straight away instead.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2011 01:09 #88791 by Stonecutter
I just bought a toaster.

Fuck yeah.

More
23 Feb 2011 01:42 #88793 by Amontillado
Ordered Doom: The Expansion, as well as Pandemic last week. I was pleased to find DtE . It's proven somewhat difficult to find at a reasonable price.

More
23 Feb 2011 16:45 #88858 by Pat II
I need a new pair of Docs.

More
26 Feb 2011 13:26 #89107 by ubarose
New glass in a custom sized, insulated replacement window, that was discontinued years ago. The last of the snow and ice cut loose from the roof last night, and slid off with such speed and force that it hit one of the windows and shattered it. The Man had to call around to a dozen places before he could find someplace that could replace the glass on site, rather than sending it out somewhere. So he's out transporting the window to the place several towns away. Meanwhile, it is really, really cold upstairs right now.

More
26 Feb 2011 14:31 #89113 by SuperflyPete
Pat II wrote:

I need a new pair of Docs.

"Good for wafflemakin' and kickin through the shin" ~ Fat Mike

Awesome sauce. I've had Doc Martens for 15 years...still the most comfortable shoes on the planet.

Ancient: Used car salesmen (and I know many) are reprehensible, by and large, because they get paid a portion of the net. Most used cars are bought at auction for a pittance and then resold at 6-8K profit. So, they're always going to try to tear your spine out.

"So, how do you like this one?"

"It's too expensive"

"Well, I have some nice used cars if you can't afford this one....but really, to get this car you're only paying 3 extra dollars a day! I mean, what's 3 dollars a day? That's a cup of coffee!"

Rules to be successful against the car world:
- Go in the last day of the month. Their bonus structure is based on units sold per month, so they'll be more willing to deal on the last day.
- If you can, go on a shitty day and refuse to go inside. Make them stand in the cold, wet, miserable day and negotiate outside. If you smoke, this is a perfect excuse...just keep smoking and talking. Eventually he's going to get tired!
- If you know what car (or 2-3 different models) you want, go online and bring print outs of each car's deal. That is a good negotiating piece because the guy can't fight the facts.
- Tell him you know "the game" on a used car, and tell him that you know he got the car at auction and is trying to nail you for five or six grand. Ask how long that car's been sitting on his lot, waiting and never being sold. Remind him that you're the one doing him a favor.
- "Are you going to deal with me or are you just wasting my fucking time here. I'm here to buy a car, and you seem like you don't really want to sell one" is a hell of a line to say, in a higher-tone. It makes the manager notice, it makes the other customers notice, and the guy will be more inclined to want to get you the hell out by aquiescing.
- Remember NEVER TALK PAYMENTS. Talk about the price of the car. NEVER tell the salesman EVER EVER EVER what your payment "target" is until the end. In fact, it's the finance guy who is the one who does that. Just keep asking "what's the price of the car" and "what kind of payment options do you have". Never tell them what your target is because without fail, the car will end up +/- $20 or so of the highest target you tell him.
- Trade in values from KBB.COM are bullshit and aren't accurate. Go to www.nadaguides.com/ to get your value. That's the book they use, so they can't deny it.
- If your trade-in is old or has >100,000 miles, the guy will tell you "I'm just going to wholesale it" and try to get you a low, low trade-in value. Remind him that just as he is going to wholesale your car, he bought the car he's trying to sell at wholesale, so it's a wash. If he lowers your trade-in value, lower your offer price for the car you want.

New cars are a different thing. Unless it's a very in-demand or high-dollar car, there's usually less than 1000 markup in a new car. You can try reminding him that the dealer is getting "factory spiffs" but that only works with the manager. The individual salesman isn't going to make much on it. Just remind him that nobody makes money on new cars, and he has the choice to either move a unit by dealing or he can draw a zero and missed all the other "ups" while you two were talking.

Hope that helps, it comes from dealing with them and having friends who do it for a living.

More
26 Feb 2011 19:00 #89133 by mjl1783
See, I just avoid that bullshit altogether.

I just find a one-man operation. There's no commission to worry about, just a guy with a car that wants to make X dollars on it. If you can get him to settle for X - Y, you're going to find out just how much Y is pretty damned quickly, because these guys usually have regular jobs anyway, so they don't really have to make this sale. They're also more likely to take care of you after the sale if you have a problem, because repeat business helps them a hell of a lot more than larger dealers.

I also pay cash. If I have to get an unsecured bank loan to do it, I will, but I'm not fucking around with the dealer for financing or trade-ins. That's just one more opportunity for them to try dicking you around. I want this car, and I have this much money. Either you get it or somebody else does. Conversation over.

Granted, this means I'm driving a '98 Ford Taurus with over 100,000 miles on it, that rattles like a son of a bitch, and is about 6 months past due for an inspection because I know it'll be cheaper to pay a $50 ticket than put any work into it. It also means I've been driving a car that I paid $2k for for 3 years now, which works out to about $55 a month. Even it were burst into flames in the driveway right now, I've still gotten my money's worth out of it, and have no debt.

More
26 Feb 2011 19:19 #89135 by southernman
mjl1783 wrote:

Granted, this means I'm driving a '98 Ford Taurus with over 100,000 miles on it, that rattles like a son of a bitch, and is about 6 months past due for an inspection because I know it'll be cheaper to pay a $50 ticket than put any work into it. It also means I've been driving a car that I paid $2k for for 3 years now, which works out to about $55 a month. Even it were burst into flames in the driveway right now, I've still gotten my money's worth out of it, and have no debt.

Fuck - you're a mirror image of me ! ... just grumpier and with more hair.

More
28 Feb 2011 14:26 #89302 by san il defanso
Preordered the sequel to The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. It should be here on Thursday. Am I the only person on this site hopelessly pumped about this book? The Name of the Wind was some of the best fantasy I've read in the past several years.

More
28 Feb 2011 15:24 #89314 by jay718
SanIlDefanso wrote:

Preordered the sequel to The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. It should be here on Thursday. Am I the only person on this site hopelessly pumped about this book? The Name of the Wind was some of the best fantasy I've read in the past several years.

I've got this on pre-order as well. Should be arriving tomorrow. Very psyched. I read Name of the Wind in no time flat. Also eagerly awaiting The Republic of thieves; the third book in Scott Lynch's Locke Lamora series. Doesn't come out til November though, unfortunately.

More
28 Feb 2011 19:41 #89361 by flim_flam
SanIlDefanso wrote:

The Name of the Wind was really quite good!

More
02 Mar 2011 09:07 #89528 by jay718
Closed on a house yesterday. Still feels pretty surreal. I really can't believe the 5 month battle with the banks underwriters is actually over. Those motherfuckers don't play these days. We got hung up for damn near a month due to an open plumbing permit that the DOB never signed off on. The permit was pulled in 1958. Unbelievable.

Also, Wise Mans Fear did indeed arrive yesterday. Looking forward to starting it at some point today.

More
02 Mar 2011 09:27 #89530 by stormseeker75
Congrats, bro. Owning your own home is the epitome of fucking awesome. I love knowing that I could go home today and put a hammer through the wall and nobody can say shit because it's mine!!

Well, $2, 748 worth is. That's all I have to show for 15 months of mortgage payments.

More
02 Mar 2011 09:57 #89536 by Columbob
jay718 wrote:

Also, Wise Mans Fear did indeed arrive yesterday. Looking forward to starting it at some point today.

Nice, you can tell us about it in the Books thread. I'm holding off buying it for the next couple of months as I have enough to read on the pile right now (Song of Ice and Fire).

More
02 Mar 2011 10:18 #89538 by san il defanso
My copy should be here tomorrow. I might do a write-up, though it probably won't be for a month or so, since my reading time is much smaller with the baby around the house.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.450 seconds