October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

Re:What ITEMS have you been buying?

More
28 Jul 2022 14:02 - 28 Jul 2022 14:03 #334592 by ubarose
@ Rliyen

I rather be happy than be right. Our relationship with the police has been pretty good for the past 25 years, with only a couple of exceptions, like this one and the time they came through my unlocked side door with out knocking and wandered around my house looking for someone they had an arrest warrant for. (Wrong address, cop claimed he thought our side door was the common entrance for duplex, which was not an unreasonable assumption as there are duplexes on our street and the address he had was for the second floor). I need them to respond to my alarm system and my complaints and reports. Next door is a rental and every few years we get some sketchy neighbors, like the ones we have now. There are a couple of officers who know my mom and my contractor by name due to the number of times they have accidentally set off our alarm. And the animal control officer and one of the dispatchers knows me by name. I give them my name, and they’re like “Number 22 again.”

@Cranberries

These new neighbors are a bit sketchy. I don’t think it’s drugs. It’s a family with two little kids. I’m worried that the dad may be abusive, or at least very controlling- possibly paranoid. This neighbor war started due to their rather vicious dog which was barking constantly. I tried to talk to the mom, but she seemed really skittish and kind of beat down, if you know what I mean. Dad swore at the animal control officer, which seems like a bad choice to me.
Last edit: 28 Jul 2022 14:03 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, sornars, Nodens

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2022 13:17 #334697 by jason10mm
I wonder if significant home camera systems are what meth/grow houses use to surveil their property and that's why the cops came in heavy. Catch bad guys before they can anticipate and flush anything at the risk of offending suburban sensibilties. It illustrates the need for community based policing so that long term tenants are known to the local police and they can establish relationships that gain proper context like "hey, that camera complaint is on Uba, I know them, worst thing they do is an unhealthy addiction to Catan, I'll handle this in the afternoon when I see them pruning the fornt yard bushes into the shapes of meeples".

We have police patrols through our neighborhood, mainly for things like garage doors left open at night. Gotten a few 11-1am calls about that, but rarely a knock. Did call the cops on our neighbors once when we saw their shepards running around their yard and the front door open at like 1 am (cue ominous horror film music). Normally I'd probably walk over but in Texas at night you gotta be a mite judicious with when and where you show up unannounced in the dark. Even the cops had to enter the house and get to the master bedroom before the neighbors woke up, knocks and doorbell rings weren't cutting it. Turns out their teenage daughter snuck out but left the door open. They were a bit upset but at least I didn't catch a case of buckshot blues.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Msample, Kmann

More
01 Aug 2022 13:26 #334698 by ubarose

jason10mm wrote: I wonder if significant home camera systems are what meth/grow houses use to surveil their property and that's why the cops came in heavy. Catch bad guys before they can anticipate and flush anything at the risk of offending suburban sensibilties

Good to know. That makes me feel a bit better about the incident. A few years ago a meth house in a perfectly ordinary suburban neighborhood blew up in the next town over from us. It was quite the shock.

More
01 Aug 2022 13:51 #334699 by Msample

jason10mm wrote: I wonder if significant home camera systems are what meth/grow houses use to surveil their property and that's why the cops came in heavy. Catch bad guys before they can anticipate and flush anything at the risk of offending suburban sensibilties. It illustrates the need for community based policing so that long term tenants are known to the local police and they can establish relationships that gain proper context like "hey, that camera complaint is on Uba, I know them, worst thing they do is an unhealthy addiction to Catan, I'll handle this in the afternoon when I see them pruning the fornt yard bushes into the shapes of meeples".

We have police patrols through our neighborhood, mainly for things like garage doors left open at night. Gotten a few 11-1am calls about that, but rarely a knock. Did call the cops on our neighbors once when we saw their shepards running around their yard and the front door open at like 1 am (cue ominous horror film music). Normally I'd probably walk over but in Texas at night you gotta be a mite judicious with when and where you show up unannounced in the dark. Even the cops had to enter the house and get to the master bedroom before the neighbors woke up, knocks and doorbell rings weren't cutting it. Turns out their teenage daughter snuck out but left the door open. They were a bit upset but at least I didn't catch a case of buckshot blues.

You ain't gonna flush a grow house down the toilet in the time the cops would take to knock on the door.

I still say Shelly files a complaint. It would come out in discovery what the complaint was against her and Al. A camera is not probably cause to execute what sounded like a fucking no knock warrant. The only way things change is if people stand up to bullshit like this .

More
01 Aug 2022 21:28 #334705 by Gregarius

Msample wrote: You ain't gonna flush a grow house down the toilet in the time the cops would take to knock on the door.

I still say Shelly files a complaint. It would come out in discovery what the complaint was against her and Al. A camera is not probable cause to execute what sounded like a fucking no knock warrant. The only way things change is if people stand up to bullshit like this .

I'm quoting this because I wanted to give it more than one "thank you."
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Msample

More
01 Aug 2022 22:16 - 01 Aug 2022 22:20 #334706 by Msample

Gregarius wrote:

Msample wrote: You ain't gonna flush a grow house down the toilet in the time the cops would take to knock on the door.

I still say Shelly files a complaint. It would come out in discovery what the complaint was against her and Al. A camera is not probable cause to execute what sounded like a fucking no knock warrant. The only way things change is if people stand up to bullshit like this .

I'll do you one better. I don't know shit about setting up a GoFundMe. But if someone does set one up for the purpose of generating a pool to help offset any retention fees for a lawyer for Shelly and Al , I'm in for $100. Or use it to help pay for the anti stormtrooper security. Set it up and let me know.
Last edit: 01 Aug 2022 22:20 by Msample.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, stormseeker75

More
02 Aug 2022 00:43 - 02 Aug 2022 00:44 #334710 by ubarose

Msample wrote:

Gregarius wrote:

I'll do you one better. I don't know shit about setting up a GoFundMe. But if someone does set one up for the purpose of generating a pool to help offset any retention fees for a lawyer for Shelly and Al , I'm in for $100. Or use it to help pay for the anti stormtrooper security. Set it up and let me know.

Please don’t. I am grateful that you and others share my righteous anger and for your support. Complaints are useless. I’ll probably just have a word with my town councilman about it next time I see him. Unofficial channels are often more effective than official ones.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2022 00:44 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, Msample, stormseeker75

More
02 Aug 2022 06:56 #334714 by Legomancer

Msample wrote: I still say Shelly files a complaint. It would come out in discovery what the complaint was against her and Al. A camera is not probably cause to execute what sounded like a fucking no knock warrant. The only way things change is if people stand up to bullshit like this .

I understand the impetus, and maybe it's from growing up in Louisiana, but as much as I complain ABOUT cops, I don't see any percentage in complaining TO the cops. You're basically reporting a gang to themselves, and they have no motivation to do anything but give you a hard time as a result.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, RobertB, Sagrilarus, stormseeker75, hotseatgames, cdennett, Gregarius, Ah_Pook

More
02 Aug 2022 12:20 #334732 by ubarose

Legomancer wrote:

Msample wrote: I still say Shelly files a complaint. It would come out in discovery what the complaint was against her and Al. A camera is not probably cause to execute what sounded like a fucking no knock warrant. The only way things change is if people stand up to bullshit like this .

I understand the impetus, and maybe it's from growing up in Louisiana, but as much as I complain ABOUT cops, I don't see any percentage in complaining TO the cops. You're basically reporting a gang to themselves, and they have no motivation to do anything but give you a hard time as a result.

This has been my experience here as well. However councilman to mayor to chief of police has proven to be somewhat effective in the past.

More
03 Oct 2022 16:27 #335922 by ubarose
Update on the neighbors that called the cops on us. Police arrested someone at the house. Then a few weeks later, they were all evicted. Owner says they never paid their rent except for the first month they were there, also the lease stipulated no dogs (they had 3). Enjoying a little schadenfreude.

Apartment is for rent. Hoping we get better neighbors this time.

More
04 Oct 2022 15:47 #335967 by Gary Sax
At least you can sleep better, jeez.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds