October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What IOS games have you been playing? ARCHIVE

More
07 Oct 2010 12:17 - 18 Jul 2011 04:23 #76140 by Cranberries
I've been enjoying Uniwar, which has been mentioned here before. There are so many wargames that would make great, turn-based, online Iphone apps. I think Battle for Tae Orn would be good on the Iphone. That is all.
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Jul 2011 04:23 by ubarose.
The topic has been locked.
More
07 Oct 2010 12:27 #76142 by jeb
Include a link if you are the first mention in the thread.

UNIWAR can be bought by clicking here .

I am linking to NEUROSHIMA HEX because everyone should get this .
More
07 Oct 2010 12:47 #76146 by Ska_baron
I think you're all pricks and want some damn (good) games for my Droid.
More
07 Oct 2010 13:46 - 07 Oct 2010 13:51 #76152 by metalface13
I've been playing

Highborn

Solitaire City

Dungeons & Dice

Amongst the crowd of games I've acquired on my iTouch. I do have UniWar, too, but I haven't played in a while. Haven't even finished the first campaign yet. I am registered as metalface13.

Has anyone tried that new Apple friends thingy? Kind of like Xbox Live friends or whatever?

Dungeons & Dice is an OK Talisman clone that unfortunately likes AI and online play. You can pass and play with 4 people or just play by yourself.
Last edit: 07 Oct 2010 13:51 by metalface13.
More
07 Oct 2010 14:21 #76160 by stormseeker75
I bought Samurai by Knizia and then discovered that I don't really like that game. Bummer. Carc is awesome, but it sucks on an Itouch. I refuse to scroll around all the time.
More
07 Oct 2010 16:00 #76173 by billyz
Expedition: Beyond the Walls, is an outstanding little game that I can't seem to put down. Thumbs up to Barnes for mentioning an obscure but great little app.

+1 on Neuroshima Hex. Best board to video game port I've ever played. A MUST buy for fans of the game.
More
07 Oct 2010 17:01 #76191 by ChristopherMD
I've been averaging 5 games of Neuroshima Hex per day since I got it.

Just picked up Columns Deluxe which includes Puyo Pop. My two favorite dropping games of all time. NH steals some time from these, but I have been getting a few games of each in.
More
07 Oct 2010 23:46 #76235 by Cranberries
Attachments:
More
10 Oct 2010 16:28 #76356 by Grudunza
Bumping so I can subscribe. My iPod Touch arrives tomorrow... The first games I'll be getting are Expedition (original version), Expedition: Beyond the Walls, 2K NHL (only a buck right now), Plants vs. Zombies and Catan.

I'll also be getting EveryGame so I can try to figure out how to use it for the cards decks in Arkham Horror, and Dicenomicon , for, ya know, dice.
More
12 Oct 2010 13:31 #76529 by Grudunza
I got my iPod Touch in the mail yesterday and grabbed a bunch of games. It'll take me a little while to learn the ins and outs of Expedition: Beyond the Walls, but being a big fan of the Expedition Africa game, I know I'm gonna love this. There are several more that I haven't really played much yet, but here are a few comments from ones I've tried...

Zombie Dice: It was a free app, and not a bad little press-your-luck game... I might even grab the dice game itself (thus making the "free" app cost $10!).

Button Men: A very cool dice battle game, and further evidence that for all of his Cheapass-ness, James Earnest has some very clever ideas (and actually, the Cheapass idea itself was pretty clever). Took me a few plays through to understand how to play, but there is some thinking involved based on the value of the dice and what things make more sense to attack with so you can re-roll them. I like this a lot.

Croke: A great Crokinole port.
More
12 Oct 2010 14:07 #76530 by ModelVillain
So Somebody's playing Croke, good to hear! :) Croke was the first "experiment" that we published to the iPhone - definitely a labor of love, if you will. Although this constitutes self-promotion, it would appear relevant to this specific audience -- a bit about our titles:

More recently, we've published Dominion / Dominion HD (*not* to be confused with the deck-building card game) partnering with Chillingo as the publisher. Dominion is a Risk-like global conquest game, generally deriving much of the gameplay from the Risk:Black Ops branch of the family tree. Some notable differences, but if one is familiar with the game, things should be pretty straightforward. Supports online play, and asynchronous turns / notifications over 3G/wifi.

A while back, I also posted about KIL.A.TON, the artillery/strategy game we designed last year (including networking support), you can see more here: KIL.A.TON Home page
More
13 Oct 2010 10:07 - 13 Oct 2010 10:12 #76584 by Grudunza
Roll Through the Ages : A nice implementation, for solo play at least (you can play 2 player by passing it back and forth). Hopefully they'll add an AI at some point. Includes the PnP "Late Bronze Age" expansion.

Angry Birds : Great fun flinging birds at pigs.

King Strike : Sort of a Crokinole meets billiards kind of thing. It was free yesterday when I got it, but I just checked and it's back to $1.99. Not bad for free, but I don't think I'd pay for it.

Uniwar : Did a very basic I-have-no-what-I'm-doing playthrough and I think I'm really going to like this one the more I play it.

Expedition: Beyond the Walls : I'm being very patient with this because I love the Expedition: Africa game so much, but so far it seems a bit convoluted. Expedition: Africa is so great because it's a pretty simple system but gets you right into the choices... This one seems like it might have too much going on for its own good. But I'll probably (hopefully) love it once I grasp everything better. I'm still just floundering through, really.

2K Sports NHL 2K11 : Just did a very quick playthrough for a few minutes but it seems like a great hockey game with excellent graphics, and it's only a buck right now.
Last edit: 13 Oct 2010 10:12 by Grudunza.
More
13 Oct 2010 13:28 - 13 Oct 2010 13:31 #76592 by Grudunza
I wasn't sure I could get it working, but after a lot of tedious file renaming and card scan resizing I now have all Arkham Horror encounters (base game locations and Other Worlds), from all expansions, accessible to draw from my iPod Touch, via EveryGame . It works great! I can't wait to use this in a game... No more encounter cards taking up table space, and shuffling of those cards and the giant stack of Other World cards. If you play AH a lot and have an iPhone/iPod touch/iPad, I think this is practically a must-have, and I'm surprised FFG hasn't sold a version by now (I'll gladly buy it if they do, just to support it, even though this version works great as it is). Of course, it would be great if a FFG version also included the decks for the expansion locations, and other decks like the Cult Encounters, Reckoning deck, Innsmouth Look, etc. Basically anything that needs to be drawn and applied to the game, but doesn't need to be taken in hand... But for now, this is fantastic.

Check it out:

Here's the link for the zip file: www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/56067/ah_...hone_deck_aid_v1-zip

(The later part of that video also shows Mythos cards and the GOO card... I guess that's for a full game version for the iPad. What I'm talking about is only the first part of the video, showing the encounters.)

That version only covers the base game and Dunwich, but I've uploaded my XML edit which includes all of the expansions, so that should be available at TOS at some point. Keep in mind, this does not include the cards... just the coding... you have to scan the cards or otherwise download them (AH wiki) and resize them all. It's a PITA to do all of that, no doubt, but I think it was worth it.
Last edit: 13 Oct 2010 13:31 by Grudunza.
More
14 Oct 2010 07:30 #76645 by timeLESS
Been Playing Battle for Wesnoth

This game is must have on your iphone or Pad if you like tactical turn-based fantasy battle games. For an Iphone game its simply enormous with over 200 hours of campaign gameplay as well as cross-platform multiplayer support.

Its also open source / freeware on your desktop / laptop /mac whatever so you can check it out before you buy it. It also lets me sync up my safe files so i can continue my game even on toilet-breaks !

did i say its awesome ?
More
14 Oct 2010 23:51 #76739 by Michael Barnes
Did they ever _fix_ BATTLE FOR WESNOTH? The first several releases totally sucked- the interface was slow, there was HORRIBLE lag, and it was incredibly crash-buggy.

EXPEDITION: BEYOND THE WALLS takes some effort to get into, but once you do it's really good. It takes several games to even make it to the destination and to figure out how to budget your dice, but once you make a couple of successful runs it sort of starts to flow and you figure out how to bring in some cashflow doing smaller runs. Here's a hint- don't take a full crew on your first couple of expeditions and bring 'em back home when they get some trophies so you can sell them off.

CUT THE ROPE is a new one, it's really good...very much an ANGRY BIRDS sort of thing where it's really dumb and you play it for either two minutes or an hour.

Will Kenyon turned me on to ALCHEMY, which lead me to DOODLE GOD which is a better version of ALCHEMY. It's total bullshit. You start with four elements and combine them to create new elements. There's over 200 to find. Some of them are funny, combine a dinosaur and a human and you get blood. Blood plus human equals vampire. Vodka plus human equals alcoholic. This game is RIDICULOUSLY addictive, but it kind of hits a wall when it turns frustrating and you're just trying EVERYTHING to get a match.

There's a new Roguelike on the appstore, and it's free. It's SLASH'EM. Basically NETHACK with some extra classes, magic, and more of everything. It's good. Free.

Got MU since TICHU was so good...it too is really good, the AI actually works. A little slow though.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds