October 09, 2023
2113 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2327 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What IOS games have you been playing? ARCHIVE

More
15 Oct 2010 00:49 #76750 by metalface13
Price drop on Neuroshima Hex to $1.99.
The topic has been locked.
More
15 Oct 2010 08:40 #76771 by stormseeker75
I think I like Neuroshima Hex, but I'm just not sure. It seems quite random and pointless to me.
More
15 Oct 2010 11:54 #76806 by Bullwinkle
stormseeker75 wrote:

I think I like Neuroshima Hex, but I'm just not sure.

I feel the same way. Frankly, it seems less like a game and more like a puzzle to me. And I like puzzles, but I was hoping for something else.
More
15 Oct 2010 14:37 #76818 by jeb
Keep poking at NEUROSHIMA HEX, folks. There's a little more there then you may think. I'm playing Custom 4x4 games with three-bar AI's and I'm in the running by and large every time. I can consistently win with the Red (+ ranged fire) guys, but I lack the thinking to win in 4x4 with Yellow (+ melee).

I bought CUT THE ROPE on spec, with just Ars Technica liking it and Chillingo developing. Almost missed an early meeting this AM.

Picked up CELL WARS and BUILD A LOT yesterday what with the freeness. haven't played yet.
More
15 Oct 2010 17:14 #76825 by Bullwinkle
jeb, where are you getting your info on what's free?
More
15 Oct 2010 19:26 #76834 by metalface13
Check appshopper.com
More
16 Oct 2010 12:30 #76865 by Bullwinkle
More
17 Oct 2010 15:37 #76898 by metalface13
This game looks awesome! Unfortunately it is iPad only. It's an electric RPG/board game style game styled too look like an old arcade game. It looks really cool, but unfortunately, iPad only.

toucharcade.com/2010/10/17/journey-of-fo...e-rpg-99-today-only/
More
19 Oct 2010 15:18 #77067 by Grudunza
Michael Barnes wrote:

EXPEDITION: BEYOND THE WALLS takes some effort to get into, but once you do it's really good. It takes several games to even make it to the destination and to figure out how to budget your dice, but once you make a couple of successful runs it sort of starts to flow and you figure out how to bring in some cashflow doing smaller runs. Here's a hint- don't take a full crew on your first couple of expeditions and bring 'em back home when they get some trophies so you can sell them off.

Yeah, I really need to devote some full attention to this for awhile. I understand the depth that's there, but I'm still in the honeymoon phase of having an iPod so I'm really bouncing around between a lot of different apps to check everything out. It's just at this point I'm wanting to experience the same kind of dice game with a cool exploration journey of Expedition: Africa, but that basic aspect is getting lost in everything else I'm trying to figure out. Once I learn the system, though, I'm sure it'll all come together.

CUT THE ROPE is a new one, it's really good...very much an ANGRY BIRDS sort of thing where it's really dumb and you play it for either two minutes or an hour.

Eh, I didn't like Cut the Rope that much. Tried it for a while and it's clever, no doubt, but for whatever reason I don't find it to be that much fun. Wheras, Angry Birds has the same kind of clever what's-the-right-thing-to-do puzzle aspect, but you get to fling birds and blow stuff up. I'm totally obsessed with that game right now... It seems like the levels are easy for a few in a row and I finish them in 2-3 tries, but then I hit one that I just can't seem to crack and I go crazy trying until I finally kill those pigs. It's brilliant and almost insidious the way that keeps you going.
More
19 Oct 2010 16:02 #77070 by jeb
Grudunza, was there a method to your madness in downloading the pix from AHWiki for EVERYGAME? I tried to use wget to crawl the site, but was stymied. Did you just brute force your way through that? I can script the transform, but man, clickyclickclick for all those cards is going to make me batty.
More
19 Oct 2010 18:55 #77086 by Grudunza
jeb wrote:

Grudunza, was there a method to your madness in downloading the pix from AHWiki for EVERYGAME? I tried to use wget to crawl the site, but was stymied. Did you just brute force your way through that? I can script the transform, but man, clickyclickclick for all those cards is going to make me batty.

I wish I had better news, but it was exactly that. In my case, I had already done most of it months prior for my Vassal mod, so it was pretty much only the resizing/renaming to make it work for the app.

What I did was go to pages like this: www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Downtown And then right-click each card to "Open in New Tab", then once they're all opened go through each one to save each image. I'm not aware of a better way to do it, and yes it was indeed incredibly tedious, but not so bad to slog through while watching a movie or TV shows or whatever.
More
19 Oct 2010 23:53 #77105 by Grudunza
Well, FFG just had those files removed from TOS. Shouldn't have included the card back images, because otherwise I'm not sure they'd have had cause to do that... it would have been, in essence, an "Encounter Card app" that would happen to work well for Arkham Horror. I wonder if FFG might be making their own version. That would be great.
More
21 Oct 2010 12:23 - 21 Oct 2010 12:29 #77200 by racingspider
Hey all! I'm the developer of Expedition: Beyond the walls and stopped by to say hello. It's been a labor of love developing (which continues) this game. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I've read the posts here and I wanted to say that the initial complexity is probably the major turnoff for people. At first there were only
March 1, 2, 3
Provision Use
Injury
Fatigue

That's how the game started out. As I wrote the initial framework, I kept getting ideas and the game grew both in complexity and scope as I did so. Personally, I'm very happy with how it turned out in general.

The one issue I've had since the inception of the game, has been how 'destination tasks' are handled. Unlike the entire journey (you get to select dice to use), the 'end game' is completely hands-off. So, I'm writing new stuff to put in there to decide which crew you will be 'risking'. Right now it will just be the combat tasks that have user interaction. But, in the future, much more will be done.

On to the topic at hand!
Arkham Horror is about my FAVORITE board game. I love the Cthulu Mythos and HP Lovecraft. There's a Necronomicon card game coming to the App Store (not sure when), but I can't wait for it!

I've been playing Cavern, Undercroft, a bit of Dungeon Solitare, and Lock N Roll. Mostly though, I'm writing code in the evening (having a day job sucks - but in this economy I'm blessed by it!).

Cat Physics is another gem. Some of the 'secret' ways of solving the levels are pretty clever.

Played Cut the Rope (lite version) and I agree completely with Grudunza on it. It's clever, and polished, excellent art and theme ... but just ... lacking something for me.
Last edit: 21 Oct 2010 12:29 by racingspider.
More
21 Oct 2010 15:23 #77224 by Grudunza
Thanks for posting, racingspider. I was just about to post that I feel like an idiot because I tried E:BTW again the other night and realized two important things; there is a "More" link on the rules explanation, and you can flick the screen down after each turn to read about the details of what happened. As you might imagine, without some of that information I was pretty much flailing away without direction, hoping to eventually grasp some concepts. Now, I get the game and it's great. So my previous concern was mostly based on being an iPod newbie and forgetting that many pages can be flicked to read more.

I'm also glad you posted because I was going to contact you to say that other than the first map, the game is crashing on me once I get near or to the end of the maps. It's very frustrating to get all that way for nothing... Any idea what's happening or if a fix is imminent? I'm running an iPod Touch 3rd Gen.

Also, though I like this a lot, regardless, there's something a little weird about the various dice. There are 29 dice sides. So you roll 3-6 dice, but can get any of the 29 sides. But there won't be an encounter on more than 1 (I presume), and some sides are more common than others. So are the dice, in essence, d100s? And then the various things have different numbers of sides depending on their rarity? What does the "series 10, series 20" mean? I guess it doesn't matter, really, but in some cases it would be nice to know what the actual odds are for getting some of these things. Expedition: Africa cheats a little as well by showing you 6 sided dice when there are, I think, 9 sides to the black die.

Anyway, I appreciate the game (when it doesn't crash) and look forward to further developments.
More
21 Oct 2010 16:31 #77233 by Michael Barnes
Glad to have you on board Racingspider, I think you'll find a lot of folks with similar interests around here. :-)

I'm getting a lot of crashing in E:BTW too...I'm on an iPhone 3G with the "fixed" IOS 4. I've had the game since the day it released and it's definitely gotten better and better over time- the addition of the new dice faces, encounters, and interface changes have been hueg improvements.

So tell us...was SOURCE OF THE NILE a major inspiration for the game?
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.528 seconds