October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What IOS games have you been playing? ARCHIVE

More
29 Jan 2012 17:31 - 29 Jan 2012 17:32 #114590 by Disgustipater

metalface13 wrote: Really? I could care less about a game I paid 99 cents for and never play.

Well, you're definitely not the vocal majority. There's a lot of people who wont buy anything over a dollar, if that. And they get pissed if they think it wasn't worth that 99 cents.

Nintendo thinks that Apple is going to destroy the games industry because they are devaluing games so much.
Last edit: 29 Jan 2012 17:32 by Disgustipater.
The topic has been locked.
More
29 Jan 2012 19:41 #114598 by Bullwinkle

Disgustipater wrote: Nintendo thinks that Apple is going to destroy the games industry because they are devaluing games so much.

This is likely true. Maybe not literally 'destroy', but it will transform it in a bad way for those of us who want meatier experiences.
More
30 Jan 2012 15:55 #114650 by Grudunza
A heads up that Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land is now available. This is a turn-based game based on the Chaosium RPG. Looks good, but I'll wait for some reviews to come in and/or the price to drop before I give it a shot.

More
30 Jan 2012 16:02 #114651 by Grudunza

Black Barney wrote: greed corp is AWFUL. I think I paid 1 dollar for it and feel ripped off.

Really? I still haven't played it yet, but it seems like it's pretty cool. Though I now realize that the previous reference I thought someone had made here about it was actually about the game "Greed Incorporated," which is totally different. Anyway, I'll have to play a game this week and see for myself.
More
30 Jan 2012 16:29 #114655 by Michael Barnes
I got the CoC game...I dunno, the interface is pretty bad. I haven't really broken it in yet though. It _looks_ good and it's got some X-Commy stuff so maybe.

Triple Town is brilliant, one of the best casual games I think I've ever played. It's infinitely replayable, addictive, and has that immediate feedback thing that's important in that are, It really is a Match 3, but it adds a lot of planning and strategy, more so than usual. There's luck in what feature comes up next, but it's defintely a game where playing smart will get you further.

There is one significant fuckup though. The model should be that you get coins DURING the game to buy features, not at the end of every game. But they do this so you're encouraged to BUY coins during the game. This effectively makes the leaderboards useless because the top scorers are going to be the people who paid their way there. The IAP/Freemium model is really screwed up in this game...without it, I think it'd be a HUGE hit.

I paid for the unlimited turns at the "reduced" rate of $3.99...it's been worth it so far. You don't have to actually pay for it, but when you run out of turns you have to quit playing for a while so they refill...but it's so god damned addicting you don't want to wait.
More
30 Jan 2012 19:35 #114666 by Grudunza

Michael Barnes wrote: There is one significant fuckup though. The model should be that you get coins DURING the game to buy features, not at the end of every game. But they do this so you're encouraged to BUY coins during the game. This effectively makes the leaderboards useless because the top scorers are going to be the people who paid their way there. The IAP/Freemium model is really screwed up in this game...without it, I think it'd be a HUGE hit.

You're right. That is screwy, and I think some of these apps (simple, accessible, addictive) do themselves a disservice by trying to nickel and dime people for more coins and such, when they should take a clue from Angry Birds... charge $0.99, leave it at that, and let it catch on from the buzz.

The game really rewards planning, which is sometimes more effort than my brain is willing to give. But you can play it casually and just plunk whatever down and hope to get some good combos, or plan it out a bit more to try to build up to castles and such. I finally broke 100,000 after several tries and it was a pretty cool run, but most of the time I still don't even get close to that. I'm amazed that the high scores are over 700,000. I hate those damn ninja bears, though!
More
30 Jan 2012 20:47 #114676 by Michael Barnes
I think I'm up to 150k+...you can definitely tell when the game is going south in a hurry. The planning in the game is sometimes just insane though, working out how to prepare for future development, control the bears, etc...so, so good.

The game is so strong it almost feels like they didn't have confidence in it so they went with the IAP/Freemium thing. I don't think it'd be an Angry Birds, but it could easily be a top seller at 99 cents if they changed the coins so that you earn them through combos. Having a little budget and a "shop" to spend the coins in is a great idea, and it adds some HUGE strategic decisions...but if you've been grinding and grinding and go into a game with 5000 coins, that sort of changes the dynamic of the game.

Skip Call of Cthulhu for now...it's sort of screwed up. The touch response is the worst I've ever seen. Tapping stuff four-five times and it doesn't register.

I picked up Shogun, a sort of Cave-style shmup. It's actually pretty good, they've done something that is nearly brilliant. It has the same controls as the Cave shooters, but when you pick up your finger it slows the action and you've got a little radial menu so you can change your shot type or pop and EMP. It works better than the side-of-screen buttons in the Cave games. Graphics aren't as good as Espgaluda II or anything, but they're decent. It's also BALLS OUT HARD. The bullets aren't languid, pretty patterns. Things shoot directly at you almost constantly, so it requires more agility than usual.

Jon Jacob, this is one for you buddy. The first level's free, the rest are $1.99.

Also, Excalibur, arguably the best Pinball FX2 table, showed up for a dollar.
More
30 Jan 2012 20:51 #114679 by Matt Thrower
Don't suppose any of you guys know about board game software on Android? Thinking about getting an Android phone instead of an iPhone as they're *so* much cheaper for the same specs that re-buying my favourite apps is going to cost next to nothing and I can ignore the irritating HD/non HD issue. But is the app library in strategy games good enough?
More
30 Jan 2012 21:57 #114692 by Bullwinkle
I've played my way through most of Kingdom Rush, which Barnes recommended in the last Barnestorming. I don't even like tower defense, and I have to say, this is pretty fun.

Picked up Dungeon Crawlers, too. I dunno, seems okay, but it crashes quite a bit on iPad. And Barnes was right, the art is fucking terrible.

Michael Barnes wrote: Skip Call of Cthulhu for now...it's sort of screwed up. The touch response is the worst I've ever seen. Tapping stuff four-five times and it doesn't register.

Are you tapping the unit or the square underneath it? And are you playing on iPad or iPhone? I'm hearing that you need to tap the unit, not the square, and response is terrible on Phone but fine on Pad.
More
30 Jan 2012 22:57 - 30 Jan 2012 23:46 #114699 by wadenels

MattDP wrote: Don't suppose any of you guys know about board game software on Android? Thinking about getting an Android phone instead of an iPhone as they're *so* much cheaper for the same specs that re-buying my favourite apps is going to cost next to nothing and I can ignore the irritating HD/non HD issue. But is the app library in strategy games good enough?

I wouldn't call the app library in strategy games very strong. Lots of tower defense clones, only a handful of interesting games. The star ratings on Android Market tend to be a bit useless too. Read the comments. Sometimes the comments will give you the heads up that a game is broken or crashes often, other times they'll read "Haven't played looks aWesome 5star," or "Angry Birds is better just play that."

Spend some time at market.android.com , see if they have what you're looking for. Androminion is a decent Dominion game, Drisk is a decent Risk game, there's Catan and Carcassonne, Quelf Quell is a decent Sokoban game with a horrible name, and I can't think of much else I would recommend off-hand.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2012 23:46 by wadenels.
More
30 Jan 2012 23:40 #114705 by imrahil327
How did they translate Quelf to a phone app? I've played it IRL but so much of it is person-to-person interaction and how you speak, I don't understand how it's programmed.
More
30 Jan 2012 23:46 #114707 by wadenels

imrahil327 wrote: How did they translate Quelf to a phone app? I've played it IRL but so much of it is person-to-person interaction and how you speak, I don't understand how it's programmed.

Oops, typo. The game I was thinking of is called "Quell".
More
31 Jan 2012 01:24 #114715 by Space Ghost

Michael Barnes wrote:
Also, Excalibur, arguably the best Pinball FX2 table, showed up for a dollar.

Well, you are only incorrect in that there is no argument.
More
31 Jan 2012 02:01 #114720 by cdennett
You Triple Town fans might be interested in this: www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/11556...ues-Over-Cloned-Game

Looks like they got Zynga'd, only the other company had access to their code, so they probably can't weasel out of it...
More
31 Jan 2012 19:34 #114799 by Grudunza

cdennett wrote: You Triple Town fans might be interested in this: www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/11556...ues-Over-Cloned-Game

Looks like they got Zynga'd, only the other company had access to their code, so they probably can't weasel out of it...

Yeah, that's a sucky thing to do... Take someone else's idea, rename a few things, and release it to cash in. I guess in some cases you can partially blame the original developer for not putting out their own product in a timely manner (e.g., Dominion - Battle of Gundabad). But in this case, they actually stole the code for the game? Yikes.

I managed to top 225K in my last game. What I didn't realize is that you can combine mountains for a 50,000 point bonus. So now I'm going for that every time.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.312 seconds