× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What ROLE-PLAYING have you been doing?

More
10 Feb 2019 22:49 #292050 by RolandHemisphere
I'm currently DMing a campaign in Eberron with three friends. My first go 'round as a DM, and my first RPG play since doing a GURPS campaign in the mid 90s (fuck, that long ago?) and I dig it. Eberron is a perfect setting for a fantasy light adventure. It's actually gotten me into reading fantasy again to gather material to steal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2019 08:06 #292062 by Shellhead
Over the course of the last three months, I ran all three one-shot Call of Cthulhu adventures from John Wick's Curse of the Yellow Sign. One adventure is set just before World War II. One adventure is contemporary. The third adventure is set in the future. All three adventures come with pre-made characters who are carefully designed with built-in conflicts with each other. This led to intrigue, paranoia, betrayal, and a fair amount of pvp combat. Actually, I shouldn't use the word "adventure," as these are horror scenarios and not adventures. If any of the characters survive, they will be haunted by traumatic memories until the end of their dismal lives. I think there were 4 survivors out of the 20 characters played over the course of three sessions.

Each scenario setting seems generally inspired by a specific movie, but with a significant difference to avoid predictability. The first adventure is The Keep, the second adventure is The Shining, and the third is Alien. But that's just setting, and the story is a whole different deal. For example, the contemporary adventure is set in a grand, abandoned hotel with a bad reputation in Colorado. But the adventure is a brilliant director and his favorite actors sitting down for a read-through of the infamous play, The King in Yellow. The futuristic setting starts with explorers waking up from suspended animation during a long spaceflight, but there are no xenomorphs.

All three adventures have ties to the peculiar pre-Lovecraft mythos that has built up around the King in Yellow. Wick does a great job of addressing the fundamental themes of that mythos within the context of three very different settings. All three adventures offer some interesting tips for staging the adventures, as well as an alternative streamlined rules set for a GM who finds even Call of Cthulhu to have too many confining rules. However, Wick's work needed some editing. There are a few mistakes on the premade character sheets, and some promised bonus material on his website was never actually done. And there are aspects of each adventure that assume that a GM is great at improvising on the fly.

While I am capable of improvising after decades of GM experience, I am even better at advance prep work. So I put in 15 to 20 hours of prep for each session. I recalculated the character sheets. I made additional character sheets so that certain NPCs would be playable characters, or so there would be spare characters in case I had a high player count or characters got killed too early in the session. I even burned music mixes of thematically appropriate music for each session. For example, the futuristic session featured the Alien OST and also the soundtrack to the excellent Alien: Isolation pc game. I created or otherwise located missing material to flesh out each session.

Players had fun. There were some really dramatic role-playing moments due to the pvp aspect. There were moments of unexpected comedy. Players made clever plans, or appropriately role-played the ignorance of their characters. By the end of the third session, some players complained that it was a no-win scenario, and I admitted that they were correct and that was by design. Most of the players were experienced Call of Cthulhu players, but probably all of them started out many years ago with D&D, so they have that core belief that the players are supposed to win.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Count Orlok, Nodens, GorillaGrody, RolandHemisphere

More
11 Feb 2019 10:05 #292070 by charlest
I'll second Dust Devils. Perfect for a one shot that really nails the thematic underpinnings of the genre.

More
11 Feb 2019 11:52 - 11 Feb 2019 11:53 #292077 by NeonPeon

allismom3 wrote: Just wrapped up a almost 3 year campaign of Labyrinth Lord. Lots of 1st level character deaths in the beginning, but we eventually got a handle on the lethality and most characters eventually got up to 7th level. Another guy is going to run the next few months to give me a DM break. I think we might go with T&T. I haven't played it since the 80's, but the guy who's wants to run it, just got the newest version from a recent Kickstarter from Flying Buffalo. Another factor is that Rick Loomis, long time owner of Flying Buffalo, had a recent cancer scare. He says the prognosis is good, but is looking for any extra sales to help offset the costs of medical bills his insurance won't cover. A bunch of us put a order together for a bunch of books, GM screen, ect to help him out.

T&T is tons of fun and the only RPG I play anymore. It's easy to kill off players however so hopefully your friend is a careful GM. ;) I'm going to kick off a campaign in about two weeks and bring some kids into the fold. I highly recommend joining the Facebook group "Tunnels & Trolls (Let's talk about Tunnels & Trolls)" for a good community of T&T fans, including the guys behind the scenes, i.e. Ken St. Andre, Steve Crompton and Rick Loomis themselves. Liz Danforth also shows up once in a blue moon. :) Great group of folks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

More
11 Feb 2019 13:44 #292086 by stormseeker75
I'm running a solo D&D 5E campaign for my wife to break her into RPGs before our group campaign starts. She likes it and is excited to play with our friends. I was not planning on doing this right now because school is overwhelming, but hey, we're all enjoying it. Now I'm making counters out of old Magic cards, epoxy domes, and wooden discs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RolandHemisphere

More
12 Feb 2019 19:02 #292136 by allismom3

NeonPeon wrote:

allismom3 wrote: Just wrapped up a almost 3 year campaign of Labyrinth Lord. Lots of 1st level character deaths in the beginning, but we eventually got a handle on the lethality and most characters eventually got up to 7th level. Another guy is going to run the next few months to give me a DM break. I think we might go with T&T. I haven't played it since the 80's, but the guy who's wants to run it, just got the newest version from a recent Kickstarter from Flying Buffalo. Another factor is that Rick Loomis, long time owner of Flying Buffalo, had a recent cancer scare. He says the prognosis is good, but is looking for any extra sales to help offset the costs of medical bills his insurance won't cover. A bunch of us put a order together for a bunch of books, GM screen, ect to help him out.

T&T is tons of fun and the only RPG I play anymore. It's easy to kill off players however so hopefully your friend is a careful GM. ;) I'm going to kick off a campaign in about two weeks and bring some kids into the fold. I highly recommend joining the Facebook group "Tunnels & Trolls (Let's talk about Tunnels & Trolls)" for a good community of T&T fans, including the guys behind the scenes, i.e. Ken St. Andre, Steve Crompton and Rick Loomis themselves. Liz Danforth also shows up once in a blue moon. :) Great group of folks.

You weren't kidding about character death. 2 sessions- 2 dead characters. It took a bit to wrap our head around the abstracted group combat, but I think we now have the hang of it. I'm not really a Facebook guy, but I may drop in to see what's up. Rick seems like a really good guy, the kind you can hang out with and have a beer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NeonPeon

More
13 Feb 2019 13:51 - 13 Feb 2019 13:52 #292174 by NeonPeon

allismom3 wrote: You weren't kidding about character death. 2 sessions- 2 dead characters. It took a bit to wrap our head around the abstracted group combat, but I think we now have the hang of it. I'm not really a Facebook guy, but I may drop in to see what's up. Rick seems like a really good guy, the kind you can hang out with and have a beer.

Rick really only pops in once in a while to talk business really, it's mostly Ken you can talk about gaming with and BS with, and to a lesser extent Steve. Sorry for your losses. :) BTW in T&T combat, many GMs let players get creative and make saving rolls to pull off what are often referred to as "stunts" instead of straight rolling dice round after round. For example you could say "I'm going to try to blind one of the ogres by throwing sand in his eyes" and the GM will decide what SR you need to pull off - what happens if you succeed (maybe he's disabled for a round) vs. if you fail (you miss and maybe you don't get to roll your normal combat roll because you wasted time throwing sand around). The game lends itself well to this kind of improvisation.

More
14 Feb 2019 12:16 #292279 by allismom3

NeonPeon wrote:

allismom3 wrote: You weren't kidding about character death. 2 sessions- 2 dead characters. It took a bit to wrap our head around the abstracted group combat, but I think we now have the hang of it. I'm not really a Facebook guy, but I may drop in to see what's up. Rick seems like a really good guy, the kind you can hang out with and have a beer.

Rick really only pops in once in a while to talk business really, it's mostly Ken you can talk about gaming with and BS with, and to a lesser extent Steve. Sorry for your losses. :) BTW in T&T combat, many GMs let players get creative and make saving rolls to pull off what are often referred to as "stunts" instead of straight rolling dice round after round. For example you could say "I'm going to try to blind one of the ogres by throwing sand in his eyes" and the GM will decide what SR you need to pull off - what happens if you succeed (maybe he's disabled for a round) vs. if you fail (you miss and maybe you don't get to roll your normal combat roll because you wasted time throwing sand around). The game lends itself well to this kind of improvisation.

Excellent combat advice, thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NeonPeon

Moderators: JackwraithwadenelsGary SaxFrohike
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds