November 19, 2020
384 0
B
boardgameinquisition
November 19, 2020
341 0

Macaron Kickstarter Preview

Podcasts & Videos
Short Cut to Remote Gaming Forum (29 Aug 2020)

Since remote gaming has now become a significant part of how we play board games, we have added a short cut to this forum in the menu on the left.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What ROLE-PLAYING have you been doing?

More
09 Jun 2020 04:47 #311009 by Andi Lennon
Just a heads up too in case anyone isn't across this and requires yet more PDFs. Itch.io is doing a fantastic 740 title 'Bundle for Racial Justice & Equality' that includes a bunch of RP stuff including Troika!, Blades in the Dark and a stack of intriguing looking indies (including another Carly Rae Jepsen Cult offering, which i didn't' even realise was a thing cos i'm not extremely online). Access is from $5 and all proceeds go to the NAACP and bail funds so get on it.

itch.io/b/520/bundle-for-racial-justice-...CYOXRpdnEB4kKBD2alb8
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Dr. Mabuse, Brewmiester

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2020 10:02 #311024 by Shellhead
I got some of the adventures for Lamentations of the Flame Princess a couple of years ago, after swooning over the Carcosa setting for OD&D. The look and style of the adventures was dark, gritty, and ugly in a DIY sort of way, but the creativity is off the charts wild. For example, The Monolith Beyond Time & Space has a full page introduction describing it as Lovecraftian without directly referring to Lovecraft, but I'm a big fan of the Cthulhu Mythos and the Call of Cthulhu rpg and saw nothing of the sort in Monolith. Instead, I saw extremely bold and creative ideas stretching out to the far limits of imagination while still leaving a playable adventure on the page. If I had to point to a literary influence, it might be A. Merritt's Dwellers in the Mirage. And I am now slightly scarred by the idea of owls.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Brewmiester

More
10 Jun 2020 22:44 #311045 by dysjunct

Andi Lennon wrote: Thanks everyone. This all sounds rad. I've got so much to catch up on since re-entering the hobby a couple of years back. The indie space is just incandescent at the moment and I'm enjoying contributing to zines but I'm in danger of feeling totally overwhelmed so realistically I'm committed to DCC, Mork Bork and 5e for the moment. Having said that though, as a huuuuuge fan of the 1980 Flash Gordon film (best sci-fi film ever, fight me) the opulent Savage Worlds Flash Gordon boxed set is sorely tempting. My only other pause is having to further lash out on the Savage Worlds core books which, on top of the two FG hardbacks is going to mean a significant time investment before i get it running. Anyone here have experience with the system and the FG content in particular?

No specific experience with the FG content.

As far as SW generally, I think it is mediocre. It is pretty fiddly. There’s cards, and dice, and long lists of advantages, disadvantages, and skills to mull over when making your character. It has one of my pet peeves in a system, which is a greater chance to critically succeed the worse you are at something. (I guess for a pulp system that swinginess might be a feature but it bug me to heck.)

I think if you really like FG it might be worth it. I liked SW’s sourcebook on Solomon Kane because my love of the source material outweighed my meh reaction to the system. SW is also good if you want to run games that elide between RPGs and minis skirmishes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester, Andi Lennon

More
10 Jun 2020 23:48 - 11 Jun 2020 08:20 #311046 by Brewmiester
I'm no expert but SW has been good for what I've been playing the past few weeks, an Achtung Cthulhu game. In the first scenario we parachuted into Bohemia (Czechoslovakia) to investigate SS atrocities in Castle Karlstein. Now we are trying to exfiltrate Agent Wotan during Dunkirk. We are basically playing it as a skirmish game but I think the latest edition has tried to add in some options for groups that like different approaches.

Stats and skills go from d4-d12, max roll rolls again, typically you want a 4+ to succeed and every 4 above that are called raises They do use cards to determine initiative and for chases and random encounters. Characters and the GM can spend bennies, usually for rerolls but they have other uses as well.

Everything seems to work pretty well in Roll20.

And I won't fight you over Flash Gordon. I think I have everything they have put out so far. Sam Jones wrote an intro but it is based on the original comic strips not the movie.

Edit after more reading last night: They do use every source and there is a War Rocket Ajax Savage Tale.
Last edit: 11 Jun 2020 08:20 by Brewmiester. Reason: further reading
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andi Lennon

More
11 Jun 2020 20:03 #311077 by Andi Lennon
"Dispatch War Rocket Ajax. TO BRING BACK HIS BODY! "

Oh man, you may have just sold me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester

More
17 Jun 2020 03:01 #311173 by Andi Lennon
I'm sure a lot of you are across this already but 'Dissident Whispers' is an awesome new compilation of two page one shots including numerous adventures for both Mork Borg and Mothership made by a diverse, international collective of creators in support of the Black Lives Matter movement.

Physical copies are available via the fine folks at the Melsonian Arts council and PDF's via all the usual haunts. I've opted for both as it's a great cause and i'm a sucker for actual physical media.

Scrolling through the PDF now and it looks FANTASTIC. I hope to do a review on it for the site shortly.

www.melsonia.com/dissident-whispers-226-p.asp
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, Brewmiester

More
23 Nov 2020 18:43 #316487 by dysjunct
Finished up a 3-shot of DEVIL, AIM FOR ME. It's a TROPHY DARK joint where the PCs are bounty hunters in a weird west setting, hunting an outlaw who is in league with Ol' Scratch hisself. Felt a little marginal at first and then galloped to a thunderous conclusion, with the devil abandoning the outlaw and offering to ally with one of the PCs instead. The one lady player used her (previously-established) skill of mediumship to coax the devil into herself and then proceeded to murder one of the PCs, run another to ground in the dead ends of an abandoned mine, while the other two frantically ran out of the flickering lantern-lit mine, one of them blowing his hand off with a missfiring gun in the process.

Any game that ends with everyone with dead, irrevocably broken, or possessed by Satan is a plus in my book. Recommended. The PDF has all the rules needed to play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, mezike, Andi Lennon

More
28 Nov 2020 04:43 #316657 by san il defanso
I ran a Black Friday game of Old School Essentials with some friends back in the US. We had six players, and only 2-3 hours, so I ran a one-page dungeon called Goblin Gully . I had to truncate the very end of it because of time, so it ended up being a touch easier than it would have been. But we still had a lot of fun. The highlight was when they threw a flask of oil and missed, only setting one goblin on fire without killing it. The goblins eventually panicked and tried to run back over the rope bridge, lighting it on fire and breaking it. So they spent a fair bit of time figuring out how to make it back across. It was really fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, dysjunct, Brewmiester

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds