October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
08 Dec 2023 23:06 #341233 by hotseatgames
I have Netflix... how does one access whatever games they are offering? Seems like they are keeping it a secret for some reason.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Dec 2023 12:06 #341234 by bendgar
My understanding is that you download the game for your device and then log in to the game with your Netflix name/password. I could be wrong though.

More
09 Dec 2023 13:44 #341235 by hotseatgames
Sounds like something I doubt I'll ever investigate, I have enough games to last me 3 lifetimes anyway.

More
12 Dec 2023 10:24 #341257 by Rliyen
Taking a break from heisting to play the insurmountable backlog of games I have in my inventory. I started playing Stars in Shadow, a 4x space game made by MOO2 fanboys. The art direction is nice, the characters are all hand drawn and is just a downright joy to play. I haven't played MOO2 in 20 years, and this makes me want to pull it out, as well as the original, and get back to playing them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, BillyBobThwarton

More
15 Dec 2023 21:40 #341303 by DarthJoJo
On my recommendation, my in-laws picked up Super Mario Bros. U: Deluxe for a birthday. Shared screen co-op? Classic 2D platform action? Mario? A slam dunk, I thought. A great choice for my boys. I was wrong. I have rarely wanted to scream more at my children than while playing that game.

I’m not claiming to be a Mario savant, but I know I would have made survived to the end if a child hadn’t come out of nowhere to bounce off my head or get under me and throw my timing all the way out the window. Or to have my bubble popped while over a pit with no chance to jump to safety. Or to just be pushed off the screen by a child racing too far ahead.

Sometimes I just let the boys float in their bubbles while racing through a series of tricky jumps. I recommend the game at those times.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames, sornars

More
03 Jan 2024 14:52 #341455 by Rliyen
Over the Christmas holidays, I've expanded my collection. First up is Urtuk: The Desolation. Take the art direction and grimdark theme of Darkest Dungeon, and pair it with tactical, turn based combat, and you have Urtuk. The nice mechanic is extracting aspects of defeated foes and taking those abilities to your characters. You can also improve a mutation by collecting multiple and merging them together. I'm on the last level, and the final boss is silly stupid hard. Not because of his abilities, but because he has a LITERAL ARMY BRIGADE of minions. Worst part is when you kill a minion, it comes back as a Revenant. You kill the Revenant, it's down for good. However, any character you have that dies, IT comes back as a Revenant serving the bad guy. And no, you can't retreat. The minor thing that's good is certain characters are generating the Revenants. Kill them, and at least that problem is solved.

Another DD clone I picked up on New Year's was Iratus: Lord of the Undead. Take DD, flip the script to make the BBEG the protagonist, and you have Iratus. Just like in DD, you can build up the "town" of Iratus, granting different benefits (leveling undead units, healing them, etc.). Then there's the creation of undead units, which is like spending certain resources to create them. They have your usual Skeletons, Zombies, etc. but there are also esoteric units like the Abomination and the Shade that do different things. The air breathers have two bars, dealing with HP and Sanity, and certain monsters do better/do different things against people with no or low Sanity. Sometimes, the characters go insane and do random things (like attack their own, become paralyzed, etc.). There's so much depth to the game, and I've been playing it nonstop for the past few days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
03 Jan 2024 15:00 #341456 by hotseatgames
I picked up a few games during the year end sales...
Baldur's Gate 3 - surprise, it's great! Combat can happen suddenly, however, and can be devastating. Save early, save often. Your AI partners are also quite adept at stepping on obvious hazards. Even ones they themselves pointed out.

Days Gone - Take the gameplay of a recent Tomb Raider game and throw in zombies that are so deadly that more than one can completely ruin your day. It's good, but the dialog is.... less than good.

Powerslave Exhumed - a retro FPS that has Metroidvania aspects to it. It's fun in brief stints, but I wish some of the hazards would just hurt you instead of insta-kill you.

Devil Spire - a PS1-style first person dungeon crawl straight out of Daggerfall. Climb a tower floor by floor, dealing with random layouts, traps, loot, etc. I am quite enjoying it. It is difficult.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
09 Jan 2024 23:44 #341517 by jason10mm
Robocop;Rogue City continues to be a joy. Having Robocop use a pay phone to call folks, a shootout in a VHS video store, a surprisingly deep psyche element to Robocop himself, massive gore and set destruction with heavy weapons, its all there in nostalgic glory.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, SebastianBludd, hotseatgames, Nodens

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.528 seconds