October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
27 Jul 2015 11:59 - 27 Jul 2015 12:00 #207147 by Gary Sax
I played on Hard, Legomancer. I'm guessing on Normal it's no big deal---you probably don't really technically even have to use stealth much with more ammo.
Last edit: 27 Jul 2015 12:00 by Gary Sax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2015 12:35 #207153 by jeb

Legomancer wrote: I've also been playing Diablo 3 on the console with my wife, but largely out of inertia. It's really a shit game, and I loved Diablo 2. There's just nothing to Diablo 3. There is nothing to care about in it. Not caring about the plot is a given -- nobody who isn't on Blizzard's payroll ever cared about Diablo plots -- but there's nothing to care about in the gameplay either. There isn't any reason to ever do anything other than brute force and armor, few of the enemies distinguish themselves from each other at all, and there's no "horizon"; there's never anything beyond where you are right now except more of where you are right now. I guess maybe I'm misremembering D2 as having more substance to it, because I'm hard pressed to name what that might have been, but D3 is just boring sameness. Any given twenty minutes of it is utterly indistinguishable from any other twenty minutes.

The story is less-than-awesome. I do love that cutscene when Diablo gets to the High Heavens though. I watch that one every time (four times now, I think?) I think you might be misremembering DIABLO 2, because it's a LOT like DIABLO 3 in my head. We might be getting different vibes from them, but DIABLO is all about loot optimization for me. If it's not fun, I would recommend dialing up the difficulty and/or playing HC. When you get really overleveled, you can just mow through stuff and that's not always a good time. Playing HC, I had to learn patience and how to draw enemies away from crowds and better health blob management. If you don't have good evasion (say, as a Barb), you need to be really careful with those chained bastards in corridors. I had some really tense moments this way. My Barb died on Hard Belial when he went all crazy with the Poison. It's just... over. Now I feel like I have to beat the game this way, so I am right back in it.

If you beat the game, you can switch to Adventure mode, which is much more bite-sized. You do little quests, find keys, maybe make a Hellfire ring, &c. Rifts are a whole layer of entertainment you can fire up and get through in 30 min or so.

More
27 Jul 2015 19:55 #207238 by boothwah
I could have posted in this in the Chill out thread -

I was burnt out yesterday and wanted something thoughtless - so I fired up my Marvel Ultimate Alliance Gold Edition and started a new playthrough with my max level characters on hard mode. Yay button mashing!

Funny thing though......beginning of Act 2 you get sent to Murderworld and have to do this Pitfall simulation. Almost rage quit right there.

More
28 Jul 2015 08:32 #207262 by Black Barney
Magic Duels Origins comes out on steam and Xbox One this week, can't wait

More
28 Jul 2015 09:13 #207267 by airmarkus

Black Barney wrote: Magic Duels Origins comes out on steam and Xbox One this week, can't wait

I've played a little of this on iPad over the last couple of weeks. It's so hard to get into since I've been playing Hearthstone. Everything seems so slow. I'd probably be more into it if I had always been a Magic player but I think Hearthstone has ruined me, at least for playing digitally. I like Magic better in person and just playing casually.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
28 Jul 2015 09:25 #207268 by airmarkus
I started up Bioshock Infinite for the first time on the PS3 last night for about an hour. I'm not sure if this will hold my interest. The gameplay is pretty standard FPS and the rail swinging seems like more of a gimmick than anything skill based. I see that there is a racism angle in the storyline and for some reason I can't put a finger on, it seems like it isn't handled well. I'll give the game an hour or two more, but if it doesn't improve or if the story doesn't improve I can see this one going into the trade back to Gamestop stack.

More
28 Jul 2015 10:15 #207274 by Black Barney
The ending of Bioshock Infinite is supposed to be something special but I skipped it as well (the first Bioshock is one of my all time favourite games, i gots me some big brass ballz, we named our CoD clan after that cheevo).

On the rails, I assumed (from gameplay vids) that it was there just as a fun type of transportation instead of some type of skill thing. Does it give the feeling of flight at all as you whip around on those? Sunset Overdrive tried something similar and it was AWFUL

More
28 Jul 2015 11:45 #207280 by airmarkus

Black Barney wrote: On the rails, I assumed (from gameplay vids) that it was there just as a fun type of transportation instead of some type of skill thing. Does it give the feeling of flight at all as you whip around on those? Sunset Overdrive tried something similar and it was AWFUL

No, not really. It just propels you along. You can accelerate, deccelerate or switch directions, but so far it's just literally been on rails unless you want to jump off.

More
29 Jul 2015 19:01 #207412 by san il defanso
My son found a copy of Hyrule Historia at our local library, a big coffee table book filled with artwork from the Zelda series. He was so into it that I've started replaying Zelda games while he watches. We finished Twilight Princess, and got some of the way into Skyward Sword, before Ocarina of Time came out on the Wii U Virtual Console. Now I've been playing that one for the first time in a decade, and it's better than I remember.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scrumpyjack

More
30 Jul 2015 00:24 #207426 by Sevej

airmarkus wrote:

Black Barney wrote: On the rails, I assumed (from gameplay vids) that it was there just as a fun type of transportation instead of some type of skill thing. Does it give the feeling of flight at all as you whip around on those? Sunset Overdrive tried something similar and it was AWFUL

No, not really. It just propels you along. You can accelerate, deccelerate or switch directions, but so far it's just literally been on rails unless you want to jump off.

There will be some bigger set pieces in which you have multi platforms reachable only by (multiple) rails. These are pretty awesome. But like Barney, I think the original is the best.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, airmarkus

More
30 Jul 2015 00:28 - 30 Jul 2015 00:29 #207427 by Frohike
If any of you haven't played The Magic Circle yet... do so.

It's like Double Fine's Hack N' Slash but it actually works. Think meta-game along the lines of Stanley Parable, mixed with hacking and reprogramming object behaviors & AI.

Stunningly good but also a bit short. Hey, it's a meta game about unfinished games... what do you want?
Last edit: 30 Jul 2015 00:29 by Frohike.

More
30 Jul 2015 14:38 #207488 by tscook
Between Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, and Binding of Isaac Rebirth I'm not sure I've put my N3DS down for anything but the occasional Splatoon binge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
30 Jul 2015 15:22 #207493 by Black Barney
Magic Duels: Origins comes out tomorrow for Xbox One. I can't WAIT. They've put the Call of Duty-type of challenges into this Magic game (quests, challenges) to give it more of the instant-gratification stuff to get you more gold (to buy boosters). I think that type of mechanic is going to scratch me in all the right OCD places

More
01 Aug 2015 16:58 #207678 by Gary Sax
Guys. Seriously. Rocket League.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Frohike

More
02 Aug 2015 00:34 #207710 by Disgustipater

Gary Sax wrote: Guys. Seriously. Rocket League.

For anyone playing on Steam (as they don't have cross-platform parties working yet), my ID is the same as here. I play almost every night, and I frequently play with a good friend of mine as well.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.907 seconds