October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
30 Jul 2017 07:32 #251828 by Gary Sax
I still play Titanfall 2 MP pretty regularly, which I guess makes ME one of the murderers?
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2017 22:15 #251844 by Shellhead
Finally attempted to install and play Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth on my PC running Windows 10. Scouted out possible compatibility issues in advance, but some people claimed that it ran well on Windows 10. I got it up an running, but there was annoying sound every time I moved, so I exited and looked for a patch. There was never an official patch, but someone did a decent patch for Steam. Sadly, that patch only works for somebody who is playing the game via Steam. I went back in and made some recommended tweaks to the controls, but found that I have great difficulty turning right or left, which is a crippling flaw to gameplay. I have given up for now.

More
31 Jul 2017 08:24 #251853 by Legomancer
Picked up the new console version of DOOM. I actually never really played the original because FPSes gave me motion sickness in those days. It's a whole lot of fun. Just straight up running and shooting, with enough exploration to make me happy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
31 Jul 2017 08:35 #251855 by Black Barney
Besides played no Magic Duels and Battle Ages daily, ive fallen back into GTA V. Still a ton of fun, I'm redoing story mode. A bird flew right into my chopper blades yesterday, too funny.

I tried Fable Fortune but I'm not going to fall into a Hearthstone game, that rabbit hole is too deep. BELETED

More
31 Jul 2017 09:59 - 31 Jul 2017 11:04 #251864 by SebastianBludd

Shellhead wrote: Finally attempted to install and play Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth on my PC running Windows 10. Scouted out possible compatibility issues in advance, but some people claimed that it ran well on Windows 10. I got it up an running, but there was annoying sound every time I moved, so I exited and looked for a patch. There was never an official patch, but someone did a decent patch for Steam. Sadly, that patch only works for somebody who is playing the game via Steam. I went back in and made some recommended tweaks to the controls, but found that I have great difficulty turning right or left, which is a crippling flaw to gameplay. I have given up for now.

Here is a link to my Dropbox folder for this game. It has three patches, an install guide and a walkthrough. Read the guide first, it's pretty comprehensive and they were written by someone who got the game running well in Windows 10. You might have bad luck and be a corner case where bugs persist, but this is your best shot. At the very end of it are instructions I appended that show you how to disable your computer's beep noise, which eliminates the beep-while-moving problem (and, strangely, it eliminates the bug where the game crashes when you hit Escape to bring up the menu).

Also, don't ignore the v-sync section of the guide. My inventory was taking a couple minutes to fully appear until I got my v-sync properly set.

Anyway, the "General Patch 1.5" in the folder contains a fan-made patch that pre-dates the Steam patch, so that should work on your installation if you have a physical copy of the game. It skips all the developer movies on startup, fixes a bunch of little bugs, and makes the game easier, overall (less sanity damage, faster default moving speed, you take less damage), but it's not like CoC: DCotE was a finely-tuned masterpiece of game balance, anyway, so I didn't care. YMMV.

The "Light Bug Fix" is described in the installation guide and is essential for avoiding a game-breaking bug, and I installed the "Widescreen Fix" and didn't notice anything other than it making me turn a lot faster such that I had to reduce my mouse sensitivity.

And there's also a walkthrough because, while I really like the game's atmosphere, some of the adventure game elements in the first part of the game can be counterintuitive and I'm mainly playing it for the experience, not for any satisfaction I might glean from playing a game of, "What does the developer want me to do here?" I fully admit to being sub-par when it comes to adventure game "logic," though, so you might be fine.
Last edit: 31 Jul 2017 11:04 by SebastianBludd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Disgustipater, Colorcrayons

More
31 Jul 2017 21:21 #251915 by Shellhead
Sebastian, I really appreciate your help. I downloaded your files and easily installed the Modern OS Bugfix. My monitor is already set at a refresh rate of 60 hz. Though my computer is using NVIDIA, I can't find the NVIDIA control panel where I might add a 3D profile with VSYNC enabled. I'm also not sure how to add a 3D profile with VSYNC enabled even if I found that control panel. I skipped the 1.5 patch for now because of the possible movement rate problem. Since I was able to get the game started okay, it seems like my computer is already running the game in compatibility mode for Windows XP (SP 3), which would be handy since I no longer know where to find the compatibility mode.

I was on XP for over a decade before being forced to get a new computer with Windows 10, so I missed a couple of intermediate release changes and now have a helluva time doing anything tricky with my PC, even with Google search answers. It sometimes feels like there was more than one version of Windows 10 released, because sometimes things aren't where people say they should be on my computer. Then again, I bought this computer one year used, so maybe the configuration is non-standard.

More
31 Jul 2017 22:11 #251917 by Shellhead
I did try playing for a while. After tweaking the brightness a couple of times, I got pretty far into the opening scene. I found a couple of keys and various dead or dying cultists. Then I found some steps going down into a basement or something, but it was really dark and then suddenly the game crashed to desktop. Will try again soon with the other patches if I can figure out how to apply them.

More
31 Jul 2017 23:21 #251918 by SebastianBludd

Shellhead wrote: Then I found some steps going down into a basement or something, but it was really dark and then suddenly the game crashed to desktop.

The patch is your best bet for eliminating that infamous bug. Another option, from the wiki is:

When descending into the basement during the prologue, the game may crash if you don't get down fast enough. The crash can be avoided if you jump off of the ladder without touching the stairs. Be advised that this may take a few tries.

Also, be aware of this bug:

Hogg's Office bookcase crash
In chapter 3 (Attack of the fishmen) you will sneak through a warehouse. After crawling under the floor you will climb into an office. When you try to get to the save symbol by pushing the bookshelf the game crashes.

I eventually bypassed it by pushing the bookcase a little bit at a time. It sucks because of the save point being behind it and it took me several tries to get it to not hang due to accidentally pushing it just a little too far. Thankfully, I haven't run into any major bugs since.

I swear, most of the tension in this game comes from wondering if the game will glitch and crash right before a save point.

More
01 Aug 2017 08:44 #251926 by Legomancer
boy do I don't miss PC gaming
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
01 Aug 2017 09:12 #251928 by Black Barney
Sometimes my Xbox takes an extra few seconds to turn on

More
01 Aug 2017 09:33 #251930 by hotseatgames
The worst part of that story is that Dark Corners of the Earth is not very good, and definitely not worth the trouble.

More
01 Aug 2017 11:14 #251940 by Colorcrayons
I am currently farming for the ggibberinggem in Diablo III on PS3.

I am also diligently recording each run to the cave so that by the end of it, I can look back with bitterness at the data about exactly how stupid it was of me to go through all this trouble just to beat up unicorns and teddy bears.

More
02 Aug 2017 18:23 #252030 by Shellhead

hotseatgames wrote: The worst part of that story is that Dark Corners of the Earth is not very good, and definitely not worth the trouble.

You are probably right. It looks like this game is going to be tightly scripted, with only one good choice in every situation. But I do enjoy the horror atmosphere so far, so I will hang in there for now. May get another shot at patching the game tonight.

More
02 Aug 2017 18:49 #252034 by hotseatgames
If you get past the scene in the hotel, you can consider yourself having seen as good as it gets.

More
09 Aug 2017 10:39 #252282 by Colorcrayons
Hellblade Senuas Sacrifice on ps4.

In summary; it has me on the edge of my seat.

I don't mind linear adventures, and since Uncharted 4 came with my ps4, I'm more accustomed to being part of an interactive story unfolding in front of me. Games such as this are more for the experience than it is for engaging tactics that you see in dark souls combat. Puzzle are a jarring transition from exploration and fighting, and you live for the exploration in this game.

I'm only a couple hours into the game, and the rot has already crept up to my shoulder. I fear I shall die soon and sleep the long sleep in hel rather than waking in the Elysian Fields awaiting entrance to Valhalla.

The pacing and setting is anxiety inducing, so playing it with my GF nearby who suffers from severe anxiety is an enormous trigger, and even causes me some anxiety as well. Headphones are a must for this game, for the voices inside senua's head feeling as if they really are in yours, whispering schizophrenic delusions to you. My GF can't even hear what's going on and she leaves the room when senua is on screen. Which is a shame because my gf is a huge nordiphile and she was quite excited to witness it. But then again she couldn't handle the Vikings history channel show either, so not shocking she didn't like this either.

This is a top shelf game so far, and am glad I pushed the buy button. It may not have huge replayability, but considering the hundred or so bucks I've spent on sale games through the ps store, I'll take a good one at a high price over a dozen crappy ones for cheap. It has reinvigorated my faith in choosing the PlayStation and console gaming beyond grinding Diablo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, JEM

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.573 seconds