October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
24 Aug 2017 11:37 - 24 Aug 2017 11:38 #253052 by JEM
Mass Effect 2 and 3 are much more shooty than the first one. It was a kind of culture shock for me to return to the original and its kind of layered over turn based system (activation of squad abilities). So ME is 2/3 shooter more than RPG in terms of the raw game-play.

I recently tried to get back into Fallout 3, but it's just terrible after coming from Fallout 4's ID Software developed shooting combat. I have hopes for New Vegas once I re-install it with a bunch of mods to update the combat mechanisms and other stuff, but Fallout 4 is ideal for me. It's mostly due to the stuff that fans of the older game(s) don't like (such as the emphasis on FPS/3PS shooting combat), though "VATS" character builds are still viable. Also, all power armour prior to FO4 looks like cosplay garbage now. They nailed it in that game.
Last edit: 24 Aug 2017 11:38 by JEM.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2017 11:46 #253054 by jeb
I think I need to chop this up a little "Best FPS" is way too broad for someone like me. Would anyone want to figure out the "Best Sidescroller?" Let me suggest a few...
  • Best FPS RPG: I am partial to BORDERLANDS here. I could be talked into MARATHON.
  • Best FPS Deathmatch: UNREAL TOURNAMENT, or a return to the classics for MARATHON.
  • Best FPS Singleplayer: SERIOUS SAM, then maybe DOOM 2.
  • Best FPS Puzzler: THE WITNESS supplants PORTAL here.
  • Best FPS Squad: COUNTERSTRIKE should win here, but I'm so in love with OVERWATCH.

More
24 Aug 2017 13:12 #253069 by Black Barney
Best FPS RPG: Mass Effect 2, it's not even close.
Best FPS Deathmatch: Halo, it's not even close.
Best FPS Singleplayer: Metroid Prime, Halo and especially Half-Life 2 are all pretty close. I'd have to give it to Half-Life 2
Best FPS Puzzler: Portal 2, it's not even close.
Best FPS Squad: i think they're all not that great but Overwatch is the best. GRAW was absolutely incredible though. What a game.

More
25 Aug 2017 03:33 #253112 by KingPut
For the WW2 war gamers among us, Order of Battle Burma Road is awesome. While Panzer General, Panzer Corp and the other Order of Battle games are great, they always seem to put you on the attack or offensive. Burma Road has some cool and challenging defensive scenario. A couple of scenario, I've played felt a little like Dunkirk the movie where the objective was to help the Australian, New Zealand or Indian troops escape complete destruction. While these battles aren't as epic as Germany taking Poland, France or Russia they're still very challenging on how to defend against the sometimes overwhelming Japanese onslaught. Enjoy.

More
25 Aug 2017 21:34 #253172 by Pat II
I've been eying up this series and almost pulled the trigger on Burma Road last week. I wish I had more time for gaming on the PC like I used to. I just bought the Panzer Corps Gold set and have only just started it. Tell me, does the Order of Battle series play more similar to Campaign Series than Panzer General/ Corps?

More
25 Aug 2017 22:35 #253173 by KingPut
Order of Battle is a beer & Pretzel War game like panzer general. Campaign Series is too detailed and complex for my taste. Panzer General has much more content then Order of Battle. But I like how Order of Battle handles Navies, carriers, air power better then panzer general. So for Europe Panzer General is king but for Pacific I like OoB. So work your way through PG before trying out OoB. My favorite campaign and the one I would start with is Pacific. Battle of Midway, coral sea and Guadalcanal were great fun. I've played both side multiple times.

More
27 Aug 2017 08:41 #253201 by Legomancer
Still playing DOOM. Not only have I not had time for it, I find that, unlike other games, I can't play it for hours. I'm enjoying the hell out of it, but 60-90 minutes is about all I can do at a stretch. It's pretty intense, but not overwhelmingly.

The rune trials, though, fuck they. I don't like timed stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DukeofChutney

More
28 Aug 2017 07:37 #253218 by JEM
I love Borderlands 2, but I don't see any RPG in it.

More
28 Aug 2017 09:00 #253221 by the_jake_1973
I started playing Slime Rancher, a free game on Xbox. Oddly addictive poop farming game.

More
28 Aug 2017 11:51 #253230 by jeb
You don't see any RPG in BL2. None. Not even the barest wisp of leveling up a character, equipping new gear as you complete story-related or side quests to progress. Not even that much?

More
28 Aug 2017 12:36 #253235 by Erik Twice

jeb wrote: You don't see any RPG in BL2. None. Not even the barest wisp of leveling up a character, equipping new gear as you complete story-related or side quests to progress. Not even that much?

That reminds me of the problem with the definition of "Roleplaying game"

If you see "roleplaying" as "improvised threater", then no. But then all videogame RPGs are RPGs only in name. And dungeons crawls might not be!
If you take up "roleplaying" to mean "has stats and level-ups" then yes. But then the name is somewhat of a misomer.
If one expands the definition to include new gear to include Zelda and other Japanese games then Gradius ends up being an RPG!

It's kind of a weird term. Personally, I follow the first definition but if I called Fire Emblem a "campaign wargame" and classified Final Fantasy a "turn-based strategy game" nobody would understand me!

Just a funny aside that I think is interesting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, SebastianBludd

More
28 Aug 2017 13:56 #253241 by hotseatgames
I personally don't think a video game can call itself a RPG unless it has dialog with choices that actually matter. Fallout, Deus Ex, Baldur's Gate... these are actual RPGs.

Borderlands is a FPS with RPG elements of character progression and loot. But nothing you do in the game actually impacts the story in any way.

Diablo is an action RPG... pretty much the same as above but third person.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
28 Aug 2017 20:01 - 28 Aug 2017 20:06 #253264 by Jexik
Somewhere along the way, RPG became synonymous with leveling up and acquiring incrementally improving inventory.

Diablo was pretty high on game informer's top 100 RPGs (all video games) of all time, with the top 3 being Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI (III originally in the US), and Skyrim. Those two JRPGs don't fit most meaningful definitions of role-playing, although I grew up liking them quite a bit. They did give a nod at number 0 to Gygax's D&D because why not.
Last edit: 28 Aug 2017 20:06 by Jexik.

More
28 Aug 2017 20:20 - 28 Aug 2017 20:23 #253267 by Sevej
But the thing is, the "modern RPG" does mean stats and gears, which originates from Wargame.

I'm partial to Gothic and Deus Ex. Those are the two greatest RPGs for me. Sure, they have inventory and "leveling up", but the best thing about those is that they're very immersive. Skyrim allows you to roleplay, the game just doesn't respond to you.

I've never *truly seen* a JRPG that's quite roleplaying. They're more like watching interactive (long) movie. But they're fun and does have some similar elements, so I just lump them all the same.

I really need to grab a controller and play Dark Souls. I want to play it even more than Witcher 3.
Last edit: 28 Aug 2017 20:23 by Sevej.

More
29 Aug 2017 07:30 #253283 by JEM

jeb wrote: You don't see any RPG in BL2. None. Not even the barest wisp of leveling up a character, equipping new gear as you complete story-related or side quests to progress. Not even that much?

No. It's a shooter with upgrades.

Skyrim is pretty sparse on meaningful RP moments, but it does at least offer several situations where you can do the basic thing of choosing a side, with relevant consequences. You can side with the forsworn king or you can shiv him right there, you get choices. Borderlands 2 is a game you either just do the mission(s) or you don't, while grabbing gear. Shoot and Loot.

I can find the tiniest smidgen of RPG in pretty much any game, but there have to be standards. Forza Motorsports 4 had RPG elements.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.546 seconds