October 09, 2023
2482 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
29 Aug 2017 08:21 #253285 by Black Barney
Forza has a surprising number of CCG elements

Guise! Xbox one got its first wargame! Battle of the Bulge. Under ten bucks and they've captured all the blandness of an actual war game. But the gameplay has always been where it's at anyway. Anyone try this? I'm super curious. The got chits and everything, a real digital board game

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2017 08:58 #253290 by the_jake_1973
You will have more fun with Slime Rancher. And it is free.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
29 Aug 2017 09:56 - 29 Aug 2017 09:57 #253298 by JEM
I got Fallout New Vegas working last night. I threw a load of mods onto it, based on youtube video mod list recommendations. Had some problems with the giant red /!\ icons covering people over. Disabled mods one at a time and found the Total Character Overhaul mod was causing it. Sad to not have it running because it really helps improve the bizarre, inhuman Bethesda character models. If I can find what the issue is I can fix it later I guess.

Still, I shot me some geckos, even though the game-pad aiming is pretty terrible (a PC only issue, apparently- the PS3 version works fine from what I read), so it may be a more VATS style play-through, unless I give in and go sit at the desk to use mouse+keyboard, and who wants to do that?

One of 150-ish mods in my Fallout 4 broke Nuka World, so I can't visit that area, which is not as bad as it sounds. Still, going to be a process of hunting down some conflict and removing the offender. It could be literally any of them, since I didn't step one foot in Nuka World on this modded play-through until the weekend (200 hours in). I've been running through Fusion City Rising, which is a "DLC" sized mod, and it's pretty great. They re-purposed and re-skinned existing areas to make new ones (like a new vault that is clearly Vault 95, but feels different) as well as making some custom areas. It's kind of "lore breaking" as they say, but also weaves a pretty interesting tale about some FO4 characters and the player, joining some fan-theory dots along the way. The gunfights against the new Children of Atom faction (re-textured raiders), and the "Ini-tec" security (re-textured gunners) are intense, even on normal difficulty. One of the quest rewards is the Dance Blaster gun, that you can shoot at an NPC to make them dance. Epic.

The joy, and pain, of modding Bethesda games.
Last edit: 29 Aug 2017 09:57 by JEM.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, jeb

More
29 Aug 2017 11:15 #253307 by jeb
Got a Switch here, so I have been playing THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD, which is fucking good. I was never as into 3D Zelda games as I was the isometric ones, but this thing is so fucking polished I can't get enough. It is immense and the physics are amazing. I spent 10+ hours on the intro plateau and I know I left stuff back there I couldn't figure out. I hopped off and am now in one region that dwarfs that plateau and it looks like there are about a dozen more as big or bigger. I mean, holy shit.

Tons of HEARTHSTONE. There's a new Adventure with a puzzle element, so I have been obsessing with killing the Lich King.

I play the daily TYPESHIFT puzzle every day. You all should.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
29 Aug 2017 11:30 #253309 by JEM
I like it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
29 Aug 2017 13:08 #253317 by iguanaDitty
It's time for a random update!

Nier: Automata is really good. It's almost as insane as Nier on PS3 was without all the incrediblely bad sidequests and with much better everything. Boss battles are even better now since the 2D shmup action is so much improved. It also appears to be really long. I am just starting my second playthrough which I suspect will completely alter how I view the (batshit insane, in a good way) story. Check out the demo which is basically the beginning of the game, up to the first boss battle; it only gets better and better. That said, I am having a bit of motivation trouble playing through again even though I know things will be different.

Ironcast is like Puzzle Quest except a) hard b) steampunk mechs c) roguelike d) the pick-your-path style of puzzle instead of match 3. To my mind it is the first good Puzzle Quest type game since the original.

Darkest Dungeon on iOS is pretty good. A couple weird interface issues but nothing that's too bad. I like the game but it takes a lot of attention to play well which I don't often have.

I just discovered this XCOM thing and am thinking I will pick up XCOM enemy within for cheap sometime.

Gamestop has a crazy trade on (60% extra trade value if you do 6 games at a time) so I am cleansing my massive stockpile of crap I have built up over the years (Path of Radiance on Gamecube is $22 trade in!). Hopefully it will help maybe pay for a Switch which my daughter is after.

And of course there are ridiculous numbers of good games coming out, Mario v Rabbids looks ridiculous and great, and Pillars of Eternity is actually out on PS4 with supposedly good controls so maybe I will actually play it this time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Jexik, JEM

More
29 Aug 2017 13:34 #253327 by phandec

iguanaDitty wrote: It's time for a random update!

(Path of Radiance on Gamecube is $22 trade in!). Hopefully it will help maybe pay for a Switch which my daughter is after.

Path of Radiance is hugely sought after. You can easily get 4x that or more on ebay.

I, too, have recently picked up a Switch & BotW. So incredibly addictive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: iguanaDitty

More
29 Aug 2017 14:01 #253330 by Erik Twice
I haven't seen Path of Radiance for less than 100€ in a very, very long time. Please don't dump it at Gamestop D:
The following user(s) said Thank You: iguanaDitty

More
29 Aug 2017 18:41 #253360 by dysjunct

Jexik wrote: Somewhere along the way, RPG became synonymous with leveling up and acquiring incrementally improving inventory.

(a) You are right.

(b) This is confusing, and a travesty. Leveling up and inventory are the most meaningless parts of an RPG.

OT: I've been playing Progress Quest. Up to level 20. It's about as engaging as any other video game "RPG," without all the boring parts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
29 Aug 2017 23:46 #253373 by KingPut
Everything is going great playing Order of Battle Burma Road. I'm loving playing the British, Australians and New Zealand troops. Most of the scenarios have been defensive retreats but as I posted earlier that's a cool change of pace from playing the Germans in Panzer General. Then I come to the Quiet India, Gandhi non-violence scenario. Here my British troops who have been fighting the Japanese their way through SE Asia are ordered to smash Gandhi's Quiet India rebellion. Holy Frak, this scenario will haunt me for ever because I lost twice by killing Gandhi. Killing Gandi is messed up. I may give up playing Burma Road because I can't deal with Killing Gandi.

More
30 Aug 2017 00:24 #253374 by Frohike
New Overwatch patch. They buffed my main, Junkrat, with two concussion mines. Two! Can spam them as damage or double jumps. First QP game on Junkrat garnered me 40 kills... yeah, he may get nerfed. I'm curious to see how the new Mercy will play since she's my other main; I don't like the plays I've seen in PTR videos but that may even out as the meta adjusts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
30 Aug 2017 10:46 - 30 Aug 2017 10:51 #253407 by Jexik

iguanaDitty wrote: I just discovered this XCOM thing and am thinking I will pick up XCOM enemy within for cheap sometime.

One of my top 5 turn based tactical board games of all time. I like that I don't have to build the terrain or roll the percentile dice.

Frohike wrote: New Overwatch patch. They buffed my main, Junkrat, with two concussion mines. Two! Can spam them as damage or double jumps. First QP game on Junkrat garnered me 40 kills... yeah, he may get nerfed. I'm curious to see how the new Mercy will play since she's my other main; I don't like the plays I've seen in PTR videos but that may even out as the meta adjusts.

I'm excited to try out the new Mercy. I'm crap at shooting, so when I did competitive I'd usually grab Mercy. I hated that I was basically penalized for keeping my guys alive. I'd be sitting on my rez for awhile, grit my teeth and do a 1 or 2 man rez, and then Reaper or DVA would drop in 10 seconds later and I'd swear at the television. I could care less about her new ult, although it looks fun. I'm mostly excited for the single Res on a cooldown.

I do a lot of 3v3's too, and I'll play just about any female character except for Ana. Reaper and Soldier are probably impotent by now, so I play them too. ;)
Last edit: 30 Aug 2017 10:51 by Jexik. Reason: does that mean I'm non-binary

More
30 Aug 2017 11:16 #253412 by Gary Sax
New xcom is reviewing amazing, might jump in after...

Got breath of the wild. I needed something long after doing the Witcher, diving deep in civ 6, then completing dark souls 3 dlc and taking a break.

More
30 Aug 2017 11:17 #253413 by hotseatgames
I haven't touched Zelda in a few weeks. I'd like to get back to it, but I started making my own video game, which has consumed a lot of free time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax

More
30 Aug 2017 15:44 #253439 by Gary Sax
Xcom Mario-Rabbids looks fucking cool for Switch. That's unexpected.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.523 seconds