October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
22 Jul 2018 20:35 #278165 by Erik Twice
A friend of mine is a big Sonic fan and gave me Sonic Mania for my birthday.

It's a pretty damn great game. The thing with Sonic as a series is that it represents a modern, extremely advanced form of level design that no other platformer series has ever matched or even attempted. Most platformer games are, at their core, "8-bit" games. They follow the design principles set by Pac Land, Super Mario Bros and Ghosts'n Goblins. It's a very specific kind of design whose omnipresence makes it seem like the only kind that ever existed and could ever work. It's a bit like Disney's animation style, it's so influential and was copied so much that it become an unquestioned de facto of how games should work.

Sonic does not fit that mold. Unlike Megaman X, or Super Castlevania IV, it's not a game that is a bigger, better of something that existed before. It's not focused on jumping but on inertia, which is a much more advanced concept. It's also not focused on very tight, calculated distances, but on flow, which is again a far more modern, far-reaching concept. It downplays survivalism, by allowing you to easily recover from being hit, and also downplays the importance of enemies. It is a completely different mindset, not unlike the difference between a Baroque fugue and a Romantic composition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2018 08:48 - 24 Jul 2018 08:50 #278255 by lj1983
HEX:

well you already picked up MCC and Fallout4, so that takes alittle bit out of this...but I highly recommend gamepass. I believe that right now its $9.99 for 3 months of gamepass. which would include MCC and fallout, but a ton of other games including gears 4 and state of decay 2. even if you didn't stay subscribed, those 3 months would allow you to try a ton of stuff without putting out a ton of cash.
Last edit: 24 Jul 2018 08:50 by lj1983.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
24 Jul 2018 12:46 #278295 by lj1983
Xbox summer game sale, I picked up Spintires, which is an off-road game. not racing...not really any objective to it actually. get there from here. Maaaaaybe deliver some logs somewhere. It's pretty addicting and relaxing at the same time.

The achievements are fun too...as it gives you achievements for making dumb mistakes. 4 I've gotten recently: submerging your headlights completely in water, then escaping without stalling out; doing 500 points of damage in one impact (I crashed full speed into a light pole....I was looking at the trailer instead of where I was going); rolling onto your roof then back onto your tires; drive a certain distance with your park brake on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Hadik

More
25 Jul 2018 14:09 #278365 by Hex Sinister
Cool, I will check it out.

Was gonna buy XCOM on the store recently and they only had the newer one available. Lame.

More
25 Jul 2018 16:35 #278371 by Jexik

Hex Sinister wrote: Cool, I will check it out.

Was gonna buy XCOM on the store recently and they only had the newer one available. Lame.

By 'newer' do you mean the 2012ish xbox 360 era one or XCOM 2, which was a sequel to that?

More
25 Jul 2018 18:46 - 25 Jul 2018 18:47 #278378 by Hex Sinister
XCom 2. I was tempted to get it but want to play the predecessor first. I've heard so much about it here over the years.
Last edit: 25 Jul 2018 18:47 by Hex Sinister.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
25 Jul 2018 18:52 #278380 by Jexik
2 is good too. It lacks some tension in the late-game, but it has more customizability.

More
25 Jul 2018 20:59 #278388 by Gary Sax
Get it with the expansion (war of the chosen) with 2 if you get it! It adds a ton of stuff that makes it into a more superhero simulator but I think it definitely works well.

More
25 Jul 2018 21:18 #278392 by Hex Sinister
I'm like the expansion lord. No need for encouragement lol.

More
25 Jul 2018 21:23 #278393 by hotseatgames
I enjoyed the first one, but for whatever reason, I could never use the expansion. If I attempted to load it with the expansion, my PC would lock up. Every time. Maybe I'll revisit it when I get a new PC, whenever that might be.

More
25 Jul 2018 21:26 - 25 Jul 2018 21:27 #278394 by Gary Sax
Man, this No Man's Sky update looks good... if I could do multiplayer with my spouse during the week it might be a really good cooperative multiplayer. Anyone tried it yet? I'm trying to figure out if it will do what I want; I want to make a base together and have shared stuff for two players. And be able to travel around together in a separate ships as different players.
Last edit: 25 Jul 2018 21:27 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Black Barney

More
26 Jul 2018 05:33 #278396 by repoman

hotseatgames wrote: I enjoyed the first one, but for whatever reason, I could never use the expansion. If I attempted to load it with the expansion, my PC would lock up. Every time. Maybe I'll revisit it when I get a new PC, whenever that might be.

There was an issue with the expansion upon release if you pre-ordered it or something that it wouldn't work right or install or something. They resolved that pretty quick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
26 Jul 2018 06:32 #278397 by ThirstyMan
Definitely PC for XCOM Enemy Within. I think you can play it on PS4 if you have a subscription (ie richer than God).

Complete pack with all dlc is about $50 on Steam (they show the price in local currency so it's an estimate). It is often on sale though.

More
26 Jul 2018 15:22 #278445 by Hex Sinister
Unfortunately, the most current game my PC can run is Warcraft III. I was going to get a new one last year but home maintenance and having to buy a new car took care of that. =(

More
27 Jul 2018 19:47 #278594 by boothwah
YOOHOOO BIG SUMMER BLOW OUT

Xbox store sale is on atm

I grabbed Divinity OS - Enhanced Ed for $10 - because a friend loves it to death and says that it will make me fall in love with RPG's again

Titanfall 2 for $6 - because it's a shooter with a solo campaign and it was $6

Destiny 2 +expass for $20.00 - because I am an idiot, and I miss a few of my friends from Destiny and are going to be months ahead of me, but I'm sure they probably have already instituted some sort of catch up feature for noobs.

Stuff I keep walking down the aisle and looking at :

Far Cry X - They are all on sale for like $20 (except for the new one). Haven't played any. Thinking about 4. Primal looks dumb.

Skyrim Super Awesome Xbone version - $20.00 - Haven't played more than 10 minutes of ES since Morrowind on my laptop. Does the combat still suck ass? CHOP CHOP CHOP CHOP If it hasn't - Has the exploration and storyline gotten good enough to make up for the 1995 desktop combat?

F@#$ - I have all the LEGO GAMES. Except the one stand alone Force Awakens one.....RESIST

Batman Telltale games bundle - $17 or $18 - I love Tales from The Borderlands - Anyone play/enjoy these?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.528 seconds