October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
09 Dec 2018 19:22 #287813 by jeb
I could get into this. Raising horses, making fires. Is this BREATH OF THE WILD?

I am deep into DIABLO 3 Season 15. Well, Level IV, at least. I really want that Raiment of A Thousand Storms for my Monk. I need to Solo a Lvl 20 Greater Rift, beat Radament on Lvl 70 Torment IV, and roll a Socket into a Weapon at the Enchantress. Gotta keep plugging away.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2018 16:55 - 14 Dec 2018 18:46 #288167 by Colorcrayons
Quick PSA for all of you that even remotely enjoy any analogue version of Space Hulk.

Space Hulk Tactics is the best translation of the analogue to digital ever made. Bar none.

It even has a map editor and you can share maps with the community. So once your done with the campaign, you can relive any particular map of days gone that you like, even in multiplayer.

On top of that, Cyanide and Focus have added a very interesting design tweak which I think could be backwards compatible with the analogue game.

That design choice are cards. The cards can also be converted to command points in a pinch.

It's the single best addition to Space Hulk since the introduction of Ambush Blips in the 1st Ed Deathwing expansion.

There is a lot more to be said about this game, and for fans of Space Hulk this video game deserves a full write up.

But those three points above alone should be enough to make you buy this game. (Now on sale at Amazon for $25)

I see no scenario in which this game would ever leave my PS4 collection.

Last edit: 14 Dec 2018 18:46 by Colorcrayons. Reason: Added video preview
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, ChristopherMD, hotseatgames

More
14 Dec 2018 18:50 #288184 by hotseatgames
How is the genestealer campaign?

More
14 Dec 2018 19:40 #288196 by Colorcrayons
It's a bit short, but (without spoiling anything) it is tied to the space marine campaign, which isn't apparent at first blush.

Definitely play the space marine campaign before going into the genestealer campaign. The genestealer campaign is a prologue, but the kind best read after you complete a book.

The cards add a lot of depth that was missing from the analog game, and make playing the stealers a lot of more enjoyable from a tactical perspective.

Online multiplayer is where being a genestealer player is a better option. Especially if you are good at creating maps, and can understand not only the design of the analog well enough to get a good map, but the cards as well to really give a map the sort of distinction never before seen in analog.

My further thoughts on the video game is that this one of those digital adaptations that can force a person reconsider if they need the analog version anymore.

It allows you to explore campaigns as you did when you were younger and had nothing but lots of time to play with your buddy.

Now I can enjoy Space Hulk again in such a way without having to coordinate schedules, by wading into the deep end of campaign experience, which is where Space Hulk shines the brightest.

Missed out on space hulk and don't want to spend $300 just to play it? You could spend less than that on a PS4 combined with this game and have a superior experience to the analog, IMO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
14 Dec 2018 20:01 #288202 by Gary Sax
Just uplifted a communication age humanity in Stellaris and genetically engineered out their "wasteful" trait. Checks out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
15 Dec 2018 02:09 #288218 by Scott Rogers
I'm about 16 hours into Red Dead Redemption 2 which equals about 27% of the game!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
17 Dec 2018 13:42 #288339 by Black Barney
2019 looks incredible for PS4...

Bloodstained (looks a ton like Symphony of the Night!!)
Control
Crash Team Racing Nitro
Days Gone (omg, omg)
Kingdom Hearts III
Man of Medan (OMG, goodbye sleep)
Resident Evil 2 (ahhhh!)
Skull and Bones!!! (Can't wait for this)
Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order
Team Sonic Racing
The Outer Worlds (could be incredible)
The Sinking City (colour me intrigued, i have no idea how great this could be)

....oh, and Last of Us 2 is obviously top of the list.

that's 3 survival horror games in one year and they ALL look amazing\

...anyway, i have a Xbox One :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
17 Dec 2018 13:54 #288340 by Gary Sax
hahaha, I don't want to play any of those!

Right now I wish I had a better PC. Maybe in my living room?

Anyone tried Below yet? Looks cool.

More
17 Dec 2018 14:56 #288345 by jeb
I have been digging Season 15 of DIABLO3 in a big way. I am about topped out on my skill level though, just getting shit on in a Level 35 Greater Rift. Like, dissolved as soon as an Elite mob shows up. Level 33? I got it. Level 35, uh NO. I've tried switching up my Kunai options and what not, but I am just not tough enough. I think I would be if I could convince my Corrupted Ashbringer to be "on" all the time; but that's a buff that triggers, and once it's off I can't kill anything anymore.

I started again, this time with a Barb and it's hilarious. I am so slow and I just have to swing and swing and swing to kill some rando frog or whatever. It took me a solid 20 minutes to beat The Butcher on Expert. Mind you, I like three-hit that guy with my Monk on Torment VII. It takes some adjustment.

I still would like some way to blow away my Paragon points, which were broken by some joker with hacked gear. The Seasons at least give me a chance to play like I've earned it.

More
17 Dec 2018 16:07 #288350 by Colorcrayons

Black Barney wrote: 2019 looks incredible for PS4...

Control
Crash Team Racing Nitro
Days Gone (omg, omg)
Kingdom Hearts III
Resident Evil 2 (ahhhh!)
Team Sonic Racing

If you liked Journey, then you need to check out Vane, which will be out in less than a month. It's the next notable art game for this gen. Open world, but don't hold that against it.

I played some Sinking City a couple months ago. I can't say much other than it's leagues better than the Call of Cthulhu game put out recently. It has some snazziness that I haven't felt since Eternal Darkness on GameCube.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, Black Barney

More
18 Dec 2018 11:07 #288389 by lj1983

Black Barney wrote: 2019 looks incredible for PS4...

Control
Crash Team Racing Nitro
Days Gone (omg, omg)
Kingdom Hearts III
Resident Evil 2 (ahhhh!)
Team Sonic Racing

aren't most all of those coming out on Xbox? Days Gone, The Last of Us are PS4 exclusive...but that's it, right? I know Xbox has had a terrible time with exclusives, but don't make it worse than it is.

More
18 Dec 2018 11:39 - 18 Dec 2018 11:40 #288391 by lj1983
finished the Story on Batman:Arkham Knight. Overall, if you liked Arkham City and Asylum, then you'll like Knight. The combat is as fluid as ever, and the city is more zipping around and gliding all over the place. Tons of Joker dialogue. so if you like Mark Hamill's Joker, then you're in luck.

The batmobile kinda sucks. In small doses it is not bad, and having to remote pilot it around to help batman do stuff is pretty cool. using the remote to drive it up behind an ambush and take out the bad guys is fun. but waaaaay to many "Tank combat" sequences. I'm not putting the effort in to finishing the extra missions simply because the batmobile ones are "survive for X minutes" tank ones.

Playing with the skins is fun (Batman Beyond and Julie Newmar Catwoman FTW).

Gamepass had Mutant: Year Zero, so started in on that. Very XCOM-esque with its combat. has the whole two actions, cover mechanics, special abilities to break the base rules. I haven't gotten very far, so right now have only the two starting characters. Its real-time, mostly and slides into turn based when combat begins, similar to the original Fallout. it allows you to stealth around and setup ambushes on the bad guys. So far it's playing really smooth, and doles out the story just enough to keep you going without overwhelming.

Ashen and Below are both on Gamepass and on the list to try, probably this weekend.
Last edit: 18 Dec 2018 11:40 by lj1983.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
18 Dec 2018 11:45 #288393 by Gary Sax
Man, the tank sequences in Batman: Arkham Knight made me quit. Hated them. And I almost 100%ed City!

Gamepass is a super good deal right now. Yeah, say something if you play Below, I'm very curious.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, lj1983

More
18 Dec 2018 13:19 #288398 by jpat
I'm late on this, but the other day I finished the main quest for South Park: The Fractured But Whole. I'm slow, and I dinked around completing most of the side quests at the same time, so it took me about 40 hours, but it's rare that I care enough about any game to push through like that (and in only a few weeks). I have/had Stick of Truth for Xbox 360, but I never got very far with it. I might be willing to try it again on Switch just so I don't have to go into the stepson's basement dungeon. The humor and story of Fractured wear a bit thin--maybe a lot thin, depending on your tolerance for the subject--but they certainly put a lot of content into it, and it really looks no different than watching an episode.

More
19 Dec 2018 13:44 #288474 by ThirstyMan

Gary Sax wrote: hahaha, I don't want to play any of those!

Right now I wish I had a better PC. Maybe in my living room?

Anyone tried Below yet? Looks cool.

Just started it. Kinda different. Annoying that you have to find out what to do yourself as there is no tutorial but I cheated a bit and looked at the controls menu which revealed plenty of things I didn't know you could do.

Warning, there is an incredibly long start video.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.743 seconds