October 09, 2023
2448 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2648 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
23 Dec 2018 13:06 - 23 Dec 2018 13:09 #288714 by Josh Look

DarthJoJo wrote: Maybe avoid Final Fantasy VII. And VIII. And IX. And VI.

Haha. I haven’t played an FF game since X, but I did play VII, VIII, and IX when I was younger. I definitely don’t have the patience for them anymore, but I never liked VII. It’s one of the worst things to happen to gaming for how much it favors story over gameplay and how it impacted the industry. Suddenly game designers think they’re movie directors (I’m no fan of Kojima for similar reasons). VIII was trash and I know I’m less alone in that opinion, but I liked IX and X. I still like VI but not as much as I LOVE Chrono Trigger.
Last edit: 23 Dec 2018 13:09 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2019 21:19 #289869 by DukeofChutney
been playing the Eternal Castle which is a fake early DOS game remake. Putting aside the marketing this is pretty ace. It a side scrolling adventure game sort of like Another World with 3-4 colour pallet graphics in a post apocalyptic setting. Not too many jump puzzles too, mostly exploring and shooting with a few environmental puzzles.

More
12 Jan 2019 22:31 #289871 by Ah_Pook
I've been slowly making my way through Spiderman, which is beautiful and pretty fun. It's just kinda another open world checklist game with okay batmannish combat, which I'm pretty burned out on honestly. But swinging around the gorgeous world is still fun. They really made the swinging feel good.

I haven't finished it yet because I'm still entirely addicted to Black Ops 4. I gotta kick that habit so I can finish Spiderman and get into the games I got for Christmas! I got copies of Space Hulk Tactics and Assassin's Creed Odyssey waiting for me. Speaking of open world checklists lol. I didn't play Origins though and I hear they changed things up with that one for the better, and Odyssey continues on from there gameplay wise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
12 Jan 2019 23:42 #289873 by hotseatgames
I've been playing The Messenger, which is a take on the NES Ninja Gaiden games. I'm loving it. If you have Amazon Prime, you can get it free right now as part of Twitch Prime. You will also get both Hotline Miami games, which means you will be getting one of my all-time favorite games, ever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Disgustipater

More
13 Jan 2019 10:59 #289886 by Da Bid Dabid
RDR and RDR2 are basically 2 games. The main quest and then all the in-between stuff you are describing. I love them both and couldn't be happier, but just as you knew from playing RDR 1 you'd hate it, I knew I'd love it. I still like the Mass Effect games more (another game with likely what you would call '"false sense of value"), but RDR2 has been nothing short of incredible to me. What are the problems that people seem to be upset with (I'm deaf to the video game community for the most part)?

Also, this happen which was awesome.

Josh Look wrote: The first RDR is the exact moment where I became acutely aware of the concept that most AAA games that are longer than 12 hours do not value my time. I don’t want to spend 25% of the playtime traveling from point A to point B. Those little side events they sprinkle throughout that distance that have no effect on anything and aren’t all that fun that are there only to give people that don’t know any better a false sense of value? Yeah, those can fuck off. That game, before indie games really took off and publishers started to be influenced by them, caused me to fall out of love with video games for a good long while. RDR2 was not going to fool me to begin with, but I have been paying attention to it and I won’t lie, I’ve taken some petty satisfaction in all its problems.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney

More
13 Jan 2019 12:54 #289892 by Black Barney
Yeah I like the Mass Effect games more too cuz even when you’re doing nothing, you’re still navigating a spaceship and exploring planets. I love it.

I just can’t get back into RDR2, I really need to force myself. It’s taking half my hard drive

More
13 Jan 2019 13:33 #289893 by Colorcrayons
Playing around a bit more with Godzilla on PS4. It's the weakest Godzilla game.from a game design perspective, yet from a Godzilla fans perspective, it nails a lot right. It's definitely a fan service game.

Speaking of which, I met a fellow Kaiju otaku a couple days ago that is alerted me to Too going ballistic with their protection of Godzilla, to the point of stuff being just released and offered for sale, only to be taken away since you can only buy a majority of licensed items only in Japan now.

Played some Abyss Odyssey. It's an adequate and very pretty game if you like old platforming titles such as Kadash. It needs some more refinement, but nothing that keeps me from completeing it.

Playing Diablo3 on hardcore mode now. I like this format, since I am forced to care if I want to progress. After two years of casual play, I am so close now to finally earning a platinum.

I hit a speed bump in Space Hulk Tactics on a certain mission whose difficulty needs a few play through before you can be successful. I'm liking the game a lot overall and still think I'd rather play this than the analog version, mostly due to how command points have changed due to card play. But there are a few interface bugs that annoy as far as visibility of action points spent and action points proposed for certain actions. They can be worked around via camera rotation, but just make the game session longer than should be otherwise necessary.

More
13 Jan 2019 14:05 #289897 by Jackwraith
Haven't actually been playing, but for all you 40K fans, Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2 is coming out this month. I didn't play the first, but heard a lot of positive stories. It's basically just like BFG, but Armada 2 expands the number of factions to 12 (including things like the Mechanicus and Exodites) and expands the fleet size limit, so you can play with more ships.

This guy: www.youtube.com/channel/UCg3BiSs8eBE9hA9EWYTgtAg/videos has been playing a lot of the beta (scroll down a couple weeks; lately he's all Dawn of Man) and the game looks both beautiful and fun. Might try it out when it releases to scratch my GW/Mechanicus itch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
13 Jan 2019 20:22 #289924 by Sevej
There's soooo much strikes against it, but I finally enjoy Diablo 3.

It's a game when you're doing the same thing, all the time, from start to finish, with the rare excitement, and in essence a lottery. It's best when I'm not too serious about it, as it's a casual time waster.

The numbers get ridiculous. I'm pretty "early" in the game, but once have remarked casually to a friend I'm playing with: "My crit doesn't reach 300 million I think". His was 900 million. It's all about biggifying this number. Since guides are all around, you just need to keep playing.

How to get item X is a pretty common question, but with very few exception, the answer is "keep playing". And it's true. The game's generous (while being infuriating at times) enough that it doles out reward at just about the right time (at least for me).

But again, I'm playing pretty casually. It's my go to game on weekends when I have to play in short bursts.

More
13 Jan 2019 21:25 #289931 by jhuntin1
I've been playing Fallout 76 on Xbox One and mostly enjoying it. I picked it up on Black Friday for $30, and so far it has been worth that much. I’ve been lucky in that I haven’t run into any jerks online or been hassled with pvp I don’t want.

The lack of npcs takes getting used to, and robots or computers give you most of the quests. It’s basically playing Fallout 4 on survival mode, but I’ve never had an issue with having enough food, water, and stimpaks. You have to be watchful because if a high level character was in.your location earlier, the level 10 mobs you might hav expected could be level 40+. The disconnects are an occasional problem, but most MMOs have that problem the first couple months.

More
14 Jan 2019 05:17 #289939 by Colorcrayons
Diablo 3 has it's yearly Darkening of Tristram event now active.

Go to act 1 in adventure mode, and go to the pentagram portal on the map. The portal to the labyrinth is in the ruins to the left.

Come for the nostalgia. Stay for the superior music.

More
14 Jan 2019 12:22 #289977 by jeb
I played through the whole labyrinth--it was cracking me up. It even turns movement into 8-fold lock. That was a good time. Blizzard catches so much hell, but they are dedicated fan servants, man.

More
14 Jan 2019 17:39 #289996 by mtagge
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."

That said I picked up the Borderlands Handsome Jack collection during the Steam Winter sale. I had use or lose leave and time to burn (the kids played "Imperial Assault" while I supervised).

Borderlands 2 was great fun, but it appears it should be played with a small group of friends for best effect. However since I hate jumping puzzles I hated the Pre-Sequel which was chock full of them for no fucking reason.

More
14 Jan 2019 18:31 #290001 by hotseatgames
I am a huge fan of Borderlands. But I do hope that the next game FINALLY does away with tasking you to jump some sort of chasm in a vehicle. It has never, ever, been fun. They have done this in all 3 games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB

More
15 Jan 2019 16:41 #290056 by hotseatgames
Played the 30 minute demo for Resident Evil 2. That was awesome! I never got to play that game when it came out, so I'm excited about playing it at some point in the future.

I'm over 5 hours into The Messenger, and there is a boss that is giving me absolute fits. It might put me off of the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.748 seconds