October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
31 Jan 2019 09:53 #291226 by Gary Sax
My enjoyment of wargrove is specifically going to depend on how puzzly, right answer, it is. I hate that about some advance wars and almost every fire emblem game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2019 20:17 #291329 by Sevej
LOL@Monkey Island remake graphics worse than the original. Absolutely true! The colors and art direction of the old ones are just superb!

I used to happily play them, but now really hate those long scenario, big ass map, turn based strategy game. Great recipe for wasting hours of progress. You never know how good you're doing until you fail (and that is often after 1 or 2 hours of stuff).

Meanwhile, completed the build of my Crusader 100%. Completed GR 76 with only 7 minutes, but I decided to take a break from the game. Or may be play the Wizard.

More
01 Feb 2019 22:29 #291333 by san il defanso

Sevej wrote: LOL@Monkey Island remake graphics worse than the original. Absolutely true! The colors and art direction of the old ones are just superb!.

The Double Fine remasters (Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango) all are a little better, because they are mostly just higher-res versions of the old art. They also give the flexibility to combine the different interfaces in just the way the player likes. I still use the original art as a rule, because otherwise it feels like colorizing a black and white movie. But it's still pretty respectful.

The Monkey Island remasters though really change the look of the originals. The character models look really different, and have a lot less warmth. Not only that but the new interface on the first game especially is kind of garbage. You're better off just sticking with the old verb menu from the original game. The sequel is a bit better and more flexible, but it's still not great.

More
01 Feb 2019 22:30 #291336 by Gary Sax
ugh, getting an itchy Steam finger for Sunless Skies.

More
02 Feb 2019 17:31 #291375 by drappstar
De-lurking:

I'm playing No More Heroes and enjoying it. The new Switch Travis Touchdown had me intrigued so I'm going back to play the originals. The complaints about the new Switch game seem to apply almost identically to the first game (repetitive; lots of beat-em-up characters you basically walk through), but I'm enjoying it like popcorn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Vysetron

More
04 Feb 2019 09:30 #291449 by Vysetron
Pretty sure everybody here would enjoy WarGroove. Its Advance Wars inspiration is very intentional, but it makes a lot of interesting changes that are revealed over time. Plus it's pretty, cheap, and available on loads of platforms.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
04 Feb 2019 13:29 #291462 by Da Bid Dabid
Cept not on PS4 yet...

More
04 Feb 2019 16:50 #291471 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, Wargroove is quite good despite the ghastly name. “Groove” is one of my most hated words in the entire English language. It definitely has that Intelligent Systems DNA through it all.

Finished Mega Man 11- I think it is up there with 2 and 3. It may be a little too easy though.

More
04 Feb 2019 18:04 #291481 by Black Barney
wargroove is TBS?! My favourite genre. Is it on Xbox One?

Emily and i finished OverCooked on the weekend and have only one level left to 3-star! She's a real champ and I find myself yelling more at myself than anything. We've found some cool ways to cooperate so I'm sure we'll buy the 2nd one. She even wants to play Versus now, my little competitive angel :)

Getting into CRAVE has completely killed my video game appetite which was already diminishing due to being overwhelmed by Red Dead Redemption 2.

Maybe I should buy Resident Evil 2 later this year, I'm sure that would do it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
05 Feb 2019 08:59 #291508 by Jexik
Yeah, wargroove is on Xbox One.

Yeah, the name sounds like some kind of dancing game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
05 Feb 2019 09:04 #291510 by Legomancer

for serious Wasteland Crimes you are sentenced to The Bear Pit
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BaronDonut, Vysetron

More
05 Feb 2019 13:09 #291551 by Hex Sinister
Still hooked on Battlefield 1. I don't know why but I just love it. Even though I'm the still worlds worst sniper. I can unload a full clip, scoped, into a soldier at 100 yards and not touch him. Enemies can rejoice if they are within close combat and I have iron sights because by the time I line up my shot targets will dissappear behind a hill. It's okay though because somebody will eventually die from my tripwire trap.

Also the only guy with a Throbbing Gristle lightning bolt shoulder patch in the game.

Diablo season 16(?) is still rolling and I'm stuck getting my class set. I think I can just craft one but haven't checked it out. This is the point where I usually get burnt out but we'll see.

More
06 Feb 2019 04:53 #291605 by chimeric_chimera
I am trying myself in Hearthstone. I didn't play it when it was on the pick of its popularity, so everything is new for me here. Cool game, like it.

More
06 Feb 2019 07:56 #291614 by hotseatgames
Played a few rounds of Apex Legends yesterday. This is the new free to play battle royale from the creators of Titanfall. So far I like it; it has several features that I think are quite smart. I suppose it's more useful to just highlight the differences between this game and other BR titles.
  • 3 person squads
  • currently no solo play
  • in-game context-sensitive communication is FANTASTIC. Call out gear, enemies, etc. with a click of the mouse wheel
  • combat / weapons straight out of Titanfall 2
  • heroes like Overwatch
  • the "hot spot" of the map changes every round
  • I actually saw my murderer, every time
  • dead teammates can actually be brought back with effort
  • Sadly, there is currently no wall running, or Titans
The following user(s) said Thank You: lj1983

More
06 Feb 2019 11:34 - 06 Feb 2019 11:49 #291654 by Gary Sax
Early returns on Sunless Skies are very good, Steam had a discount and I wanted to support the devs and not wait for a BIG SALE so I bought it. It is absolutely just Sunless Seas, for all the good and bad that means. The difference is that it is tuned much, much more forgivingly. There is still permadeath if you want to play that way (I go back and forth, I have been this time) but the mechanisms are different all around it to make them easier. Your supplies and fuel don't burn through so fast. The first area isn't as dangerous. The buy/sell commodities system is much more transparent vis a vis which commodities to buy and where they should go (all spoke bargain deals return to the big hub city to sell). There's a bank where you can store stuff that will also go to your next captain if you die. The money returns on trading and doing missions is much higher, so you feel less constant "I just lost more money than I made on this trip," which was basically every single time in Sunless Seas unless you finished a big mission. In that way, Seas was much cosmic dread/horror and less adventure than skies. It was also a punishing game that made me want to quit after my first long, satisfying run that came to a bad end in some quick sequence.

Moreover, they split the world into 4 (?) different worlds, instead of starting in the exact same part of the bigger world every time. They also made the worlds circular. I cannot tell you how much being able to go off on different spokes rather than a grinding linear trip east to west every single trip makes for the game.

So that means you can do the fun stuff I was never able to do in Seas---buy new equipment, think about buying a new ship, buy some of the pricier goods to trade.

So I recommend it quite a bit, they fixed my problems with the game and the writing is still fun. It's an excellent pick and deliver and exploration game with tons of well written missions and locations.
Last edit: 06 Feb 2019 11:49 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.471 seconds