October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
23 Feb 2019 10:34 #292940 by Gary Sax
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but most of the powers are so team compositional situational I think it's hard to come up with a universal single player tier list.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2019 11:30 #292941 by hotseatgames
I agree with that assessment. Caustic is too specific; if he doesn't have an enclosed area to control, he's useless. Potential game changer in the end game.

Add me on Origins, "Veinman"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
23 Feb 2019 19:19 #292950 by Sevej
Finally played Battletech during the free weekend, at least to stop my friend from nagging me to try it.

Great storytelling, excellent information feedback. You can check LoS before you can move, even know when you can fire indirectly over obstacles.

Game is way too slow though.

If you love Battletech, you'd need no other pc Battletech pc game apart from this game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
23 Feb 2019 20:33 #292952 by Vysetron
Caustic is the only character that requires a very specific playstyle, but he's in a game where adaptation is demanded. He's just not very effective a lot of the time and even when he is he only adds so much. Everybody else is more flexible, therefore better.

Lifeline is the only character that I think every team would benefit from having no matter what. She's incredible. Between the free full heals and the constant influx of better equipment I can't think of anyone else I'd rather have around/play.

Considering that different characters have different hitboxes, I wonder if Respawn's going to mess with health totals when they inevitably do some rebalancing. Giving Caustic and Gibraltar some extra base health to make up for their thiccness would do wonders.

More
24 Feb 2019 01:14 #292955 by hotseatgames
I've been playing Axiom Verge. If you like Metroid, you like Axiom Verge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, lj1983

More
26 Feb 2019 14:28 - 26 Feb 2019 14:51 #293074 by lj1983
more bus ride gaming - Steamworld Dig 2 on the Vita. it's so good. Steamworld Dig is a great little game, and Dig 2 adds a bunch of Metroidvania elements to it.

I also started up Mario & Luigi - Bowser's Inside Story. I played the original Superstar Saga on my GBA SP while I was in Afghanistan. Partners in time on a DSLite while in Iraq. I never played the most recent 3 games (Bowser's Inside Story, Paper Jam, Dream Team)....it's like playing with an old friend. I just ran into the first scene where Bowser grows big and you turn the system sideways, while he fights a castle. I genuinely laugh with this game.
Last edit: 26 Feb 2019 14:51 by lj1983.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, hotseatgames

More
26 Feb 2019 14:57 - 26 Feb 2019 14:59 #293077 by WadeMonnig
Cuphead. It's Gunstar heroes with better graphics.
Last edit: 26 Feb 2019 14:59 by WadeMonnig.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax

More
26 Feb 2019 16:42 #293088 by Gary Sax
It kind of makes me laugh that they just released a Stellaris version for console. That is a PC-ass PC game. Nevertheless, I hope it's good because I hope more people discover their inner Paradoxer.

Stellaris is almost to 200 hours on my computer, just tried an MP session with a friend and it has solid netcode.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
27 Feb 2019 04:07 - 27 Feb 2019 13:38 #293098 by ThirstyMan
Deep into Endless Legends which is a great game. Also enjoy renaming the territories because I'm such a massive child. Went through the whole vanilla game as Broken Lords and achieved a Supremacy win which is pretty easy with the economic powerhouse that is the Broken Lord clan. Absolute shit ton of other stuff to see and do in this game so diving in as the science fiction Vaulters. Love the graphics which makes a huge difference to immersion. I shall try Endless Space 2 when I'm burned out on this.

Also booted up Final Fantasy XV on the PC. So funny what the Japanese think is a 'cool' American. Quite like it but much more busy than the earlier FF versions.

Tried a bit of Guild Wars 2 which is an MMORPG with a one off cost to play. There is no monthly sub except for the one off cost and then no restrictions from that point on. They make their ongoing money with cosmetic stuff.

It's great having a week off work to do all this shit. Back to work on Sunday though.
Last edit: 27 Feb 2019 13:38 by ThirstyMan.

More
27 Feb 2019 09:22 #293100 by RobertB

ThirstyMan wrote: Tried a bit of Guild Wars 2 which is an MMORPG with a one off cost to play. There is no monthly sub except for the one off cost and then no restrictions from that point on. They make their ongoing money with cosmetic stuff.

There are some game-affecting (sort of) items, that they sell in GW2. The most useful for me was increased bank space and extra bag slots, in that order. You're going to need a ton of space for crafting items, and you can fill up the crafting bank (or whatever they call it in game) pretty quick. After that, the utility of purchased items drops pretty quickly. Another character slot or two if you get hooked would be useful, and keys to those chests that drop pretty regularly might be fun if you feel like gambling.

More
27 Feb 2019 10:24 #293105 by Gary Sax
For some reason, I had a hard time getting into... but I always thought Endless Legend was a view of a genuinely new way to approach civilization/4x games---giving each faction drastically different powers and background and an actual narrative they're trying to accomplish. I believe I played the faction who only have one territory and can move their capital at will? Merchants maybe?

More
27 Feb 2019 12:57 #293117 by Ah_Pook

Gary Sax wrote: It kind of makes me laugh that they just released a Stellaris version for console. That is a PC-ass PC game. Nevertheless, I hope it's good because I hope more people discover their inner Paradoxer.

Stellaris is almost to 200 hours on my computer, just tried an MP session with a friend and it has solid netcode.

Hey the console version finally came out! I'm excited to try this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
27 Feb 2019 13:28 #293118 by Gary Sax
Ask questions here or in the Stellaris thread---it's a dense game but I've spent enough time with it that I can explain most of the systems, even the new ones.

More
27 Feb 2019 13:36 #293122 by ThirstyMan

RobertB wrote:

ThirstyMan wrote: Tried a bit of Guild Wars 2 which is an MMORPG with a one off cost to play. There is no monthly sub except for the one off cost and then no restrictions from that point on. They make their ongoing money with cosmetic stuff.

There are some game-affecting (sort of) items, that they sell in GW2. The most useful for me was increased bank space and extra bag slots, in that order. You're going to need a ton of space for crafting items, and you can fill up the crafting bank (or whatever they call it in game) pretty quick. After that, the utility of purchased items drops pretty quickly. Another character slot or two if you get hooked would be useful, and keys to those chests that drop pretty regularly might be fun if you feel like gambling.

Bag slots drop during progression and Black Chest Keys are a waste as the content isn't that good. Never paid a cent for these and have loads of banking slots with special places for crafting items (basically a different set of slots dedicated to crafting). Plenty of bag space, never had to buy anything. I dropped them some cash when I got to L80 to open up the Living World narrative quests but that's it. Been playing for quite a while.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB

More
27 Feb 2019 14:31 #293126 by RobertB
I got to 80 back when it first came out, then quit. I started again last fall, but got bored. I wouldn't call what I did 'quit again' just yet, but I haven't played since Christmas.

I bought the extra bank space because I couldn't bear to throw any crafting mats away. I would've sworn that you could buy bag slots above and beyond the ones you level into.

I had forgotten the name, because I'm old, but you're right about the Black Lion chests - I've not gotten anything exciting out of the once-a-week try that you get from drops.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.918 seconds