October 09, 2023
2452 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
29 Mar 2019 16:03 #294758 by Colorcrayons
I refuse to minmax arpgs. There is just no fun doing that. I don't care if it's optimal, they are my choices and make my character what it is.

Those choices are what put this above diablo3.

I agree that the Tetris inventory thing is dumb, yet my biggest criticism is not being able to move items in inventory to optimize space, instead I must drop items and pick them up in an order that makes them fit from top left to bottom right.

That criticism aside, the only real criticism I have is the cost of cosmetics in the game. It's a free game and I want to give back to the publishers, but nearly $50usd for an outfit is a bit steep. But if I end up pouring hundreds of hours into it like I did Diablo, then I can rationalize that cost a bit easier.

What I think I like about it most though, is a decent middle ground between baldurs gate type of RPGs and mindless hack and slash of Diablo. There is at least enough novel stuff in the game to hold my interest. The types of novelty that Blizzard could have and should have instituted. I adore Diablo, yet my long playing over the course of 20 years does not equate to loyalty if a better game comes around.

While I believe the criticisms against PoE are more than fair, they aren't enough to detract from my own casual enjoyment of what's turning out to be a rather fine adventure game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, RobertB, san il defanso, ThirstyMan, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2019 09:55 - 01 Apr 2019 10:54 #294820 by Vysetron
Risk of Rain 2 did an incredibly good job of translating its gameplay from 2D to 3D. There's not as much meat on its bones as the first game yet, but it's early days. If you like roguelikes and/or shooters with a metric shitton of enemies you may want to give it a shot.
Last edit: 01 Apr 2019 10:54 by Vysetron.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, hotseatgames

More
02 Apr 2019 13:34 #294873 by Rliyen

Vysetron wrote: Risk of Rain 2 did an incredibly good job of translating its gameplay from 2D to 3D. There's not as much meat on its bones as the first game yet, but it's early days. If you like roguelikes and/or shooters with a metric shitton of enemies you may want to give it a shot.

I saw that it recently dropped as EA. As soon as it leaves EA, and I no longer have a potato for a PC, I will be in line with Fry-like screaming, "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!"

RoR was a hoot!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vysetron

More
02 Apr 2019 13:40 #294874 by Rliyen

the_jake_1973 wrote: San,

You should really try the Fate series for the hacking and slashing. Infinite dungeon levels as well. I like it a bit more than Torchlight 1/2.

Cartoony Diablo, with a gonzo fishing mechanic to obtain items, among other things, a CHEESE HEAD!

I am NOT joking! It's a powerful magic item...

More
02 Apr 2019 13:58 #294875 by jeb
Trying out PATH OF EXILE here too. One complaint so far is that it's hard as hell to even read what items -are- on my TV from across the room. I'm socketing gems and shit though. I'll keep poking at it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Colorcrayons

More
04 Apr 2019 08:19 #294950 by Legomancer
as many of you know, I only play like 3 or 4 games, and one of them has a new one coming out! Borderlands 3 on 9/13. Honestly, all I want from a Borderlands game is more of the same, since I thoroughly enjoy the same.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
04 Apr 2019 08:28 #294951 by hotseatgames
I'm curious to hear more about new features in Borderlands 3, because it does indeed look like more of the same. I'll definitely buy it, but I'm a bit concerned that this doesn't seem like the leap forward I was hoping it would be.

More
04 Apr 2019 10:18 #294967 by Legomancer
I know I'm an outlier, but honestly I don't want a leap forward. I loved BL2. I don't need some bullshit crafting system or something else bolted on in order to make it "better". It's absolutely okay to take the same game to new places with only minor adjustments instead of having to reinvent everything every time.

More
04 Apr 2019 11:14 #294977 by hotseatgames
I hate crafting. What I wanted was to be able to make my own character, and you can't do that.

But I can look past that, as long as they please, please, please don't make us jump vehicles over chasms any more. Ugh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtagge, Virabhadra

More
04 Apr 2019 11:28 #294979 by Vysetron
That's a weird point actually. How has there not been a custom character option in a Borderlands game yet? That would be a massive selling point. I know they try to make the playable characters matter but most of them are voids of personality until they ascend to NPChood.

More
04 Apr 2019 11:36 #294980 by hotseatgames
I think the reason is largely two-fold:

1. They think the story and characterization matters. It does not.
2. They want to sell characters.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Vysetron

More
04 Apr 2019 12:32 - 04 Apr 2019 12:33 #294984 by Disgustipater
I had a hankering recently for some Dark Souls so I installed Dark Souls Remastered. I’ve just dumped almost everything into Strength with a smattering of Endurance here and there while ignoring everything else. It’s been working pretty well so far. I just vanquished my long standing DS boogeyman: Ornstein & Smough. The one boss in the whole series that I have not beaten solo. Got them bastards this time. While most of the bosses have been pretty easy, O&S probably took me about a dozen tries. In a way I’m happy they weren’t pushovers.

Poor Sif, unfortunately you’re next on my list.
Last edit: 04 Apr 2019 12:33 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
04 Apr 2019 14:29 #294988 by Ah_Pook
I can't tell if I care about borderlands 3 or not, which is weird because I played the first two for hundreds of hours. But the second, along with a bunch of great improvements, leaned real hard into an bunch of bullshit that I hated. Tiny Tina, handsome Jack, basically everything that wasn't a gun and shooting a gun at a bad guy was awful. I'll probably end up playing it at some point but if it's more of that stuff I dunno.

More
04 Apr 2019 22:32 #295008 by san il defanso
Now that I've had a chance to play for a few hours, I find myself enjoying Grim Dawn quite a bit. Compared with Torchlight 2 it has a little more sense of place and stakes to it, though it's still basically a game where you click monsters to death. The downside is that it is missing a couple of key QoL improvements that make TL2 so great, namely a really good map and a way to sell loot without taking a break from monster-clicking. But I do like the class and skill system more, and the ability to do a proper respec is really nice for the longevity of the game. Not sure which I prefer at this point, but I don't think a fan of ARPGs could go wrong with either one.

I bought it on sale from GOG, and I find myself wishing I had taken the plunge and picked up the expansion alongside it. It's obvious I'm going to put in a ton of hours on this one. I would definitely recommend it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
06 Apr 2019 00:32 #295064 by Gary Sax
Nuclear throne is SO GOOD. And I suck at it. It is simply the pleasure of getting through ~5 levels. The guns are so visceral in it. I can play over and over. It's such a contrast with Enter the Gungeon which people seem to like better but doesn't work as well for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Vysetron

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.229 seconds