October 09, 2023
2482 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
18 Jun 2019 23:11 #298595 by Sevej
I play Euro Truck Simulator 2. Had eye on this for a long time. It's super harmless fun.

Also, you guys boasting manual docking on Elite Dangerous should try parking a two containers trailer. Dis is da shit!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2019 09:53 - 22 Jun 2019 09:54 #298771 by Ah_Pook
The PS4 version of Talisman is on sale for $9 and comes with all the expansions, if anyone is interested in playing digital Talisman. I played it a bunch at one point.

I recently got back into playing Pinball FX3 and trying to get the trophies for tables in it. I have almost all the tables at this point, having bought them since Zen Pinball way back on the PS3, and many of the trophies are fuck off hard.
Last edit: 22 Jun 2019 09:54 by Ah_Pook.

More
25 Jun 2019 20:19 #298849 by hotseatgames
I picked up Heat Signature in the Steam sale (Record Store Nightmare is on sale for 99 cents, btw). Heat Signature is from the makers of Gunpoint, which is a really cool game.

In Heat Signature, you control a randomized character on a space ship. You accept missions, generally involving rescuing someone, stealing something, or killing someone. You do this by using your small pod ship, which you dock to the target ship, infiltrating it.

Skulk around in a top down view, take out the guards, evade them, etc. There are a lot of ways to handle the various challenges that will be thrown your way. I'm very early in, but this seems like it will be well worth the $5 I spent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
25 Jun 2019 22:21 #298853 by SaMoKo
Switch has become a machine for Civ 6, Slay the Spire, and Enter the Gungeon. Totally worth it. Slay the Spire has grabbed me like heroin, best deckbuilder I’ve played in ages
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
25 Jun 2019 23:18 #298854 by hotseatgames
Just to relay a quick example of the shenanigans you can get up to in Heat Signature...

My mission was to infiltrate a ship and steal something from a crate. When I entered the ship, I could see a guard walking about with a level 1 keycard. I waited around a corner for him, and bashed his head with my wrench. Ho Ho Ho, now I have a level 1 keycard. I used this keycard to steal stuff from another crate. I believe I obtained a stealth shield with 3 charges.

Never mind that... two guards were roaming the next big chamber, and one of them had the level 2 keycard that I needed to get further into the ship. I had a clever plan that centered on a "glitch trap" that I had. You click somewhere, and it drops the trap at your feet. When an enemy walks into the trap's radius, he is teleported to that location. I clicked out into space, and let one of the enemies see me. I hid around a corner as they both chased me, and both subsequently launched themselves into space, never to be seen again.

It was then that I realized I had just teleported the level 2 keycard into space. BUT all was not lost! I also was fortunate enough to have a keycard cloner that works through walls. I waited until a guard carrying a level 3 keycard got close enough, and cloned his card. Now I could open any door on the ship. I pummeled everyone else on the ship with my trusty wrench, stole the item, and then for good measure stole the entire ship.

Mission Accomplished.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens, BillyBobThwarton

More
25 Jun 2019 23:39 #298855 by BillyBobThwarton
Just picked up Heat Signature and trying to resist Slay the Spire. What I really need is something meaty for an ipad as I'll be on vacation next week and will surely pull a few shifts of staying in the cabin while my youngest sleeps.

Any suggestions? I already have FTL, Legends of Andor, and Darkest Dungeon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
26 Jun 2019 11:42 #298867 by quozl
I got a Playstation Classic recently (it's down to $30), which comes with 20 games and I guess can easily be modified to play any Playstation ROM. Pretty fun as I've never played any of these games before.

More
26 Jun 2019 11:59 #298872 by Vysetron
Playing the new Samurai Shodown was like going back in time to play SamSho 2 for the first time. But it's better than a remake could have been. It's not the game you remember, it's a game as good as you remember it being.

This is the most approachable competitive fighting game to come out in ages. If you've played a SamSho or any 2D fighter you'll be fine. If you haven't, this one makes it really easy to start.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, hotseatgames

More
26 Jun 2019 12:53 #298876 by jeb

BillyBobThwarton wrote: Just picked up Heat Signature and trying to resist Slay the Spire. What I really need is something meaty for an ipad as I'll be on vacation next week and will surely pull a few shifts of staying in the cabin while my youngest sleeps.

Any suggestions? I already have FTL, Legends of Andor, and Darkest Dungeon.

• KINGDOM RUSH

• THE ROOM

• THE WITNESS

• 80 DAYS

• HUMAN RESOURCE MACHINE
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
26 Jun 2019 15:44 #298890 by Da Bid Dabid
Have you played MK 11? I think its the best MK ever, but not like their games have ever been the best fighters depending on what you are looking for.

Vysetron wrote: Playing the new Samurai Shodown was like going back in time to play SamSho 2 for the first time. But it's better than a remake could have been. It's not the game you remember, it's a game as good as you remember it being.

This is the most approachable competitive fighting game to come out in ages. If you've played a SamSho or any 2D fighter you'll be fine. If you haven't, this one makes it really easy to start.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Vysetron

More
30 Jun 2019 20:41 - 30 Jun 2019 21:08 #299061 by Sevej
So, finally bought Into The Breach. Pretty nifty little game, love the theme the game has, but ultimately it could be anything. It's a very board-gamey design, with very low numbers & turns, small amount of unit, and, of course, being mostly deterministic.

I provides interesting tactical challenge, and the UI feedback is just great. The game is totally honest with you, and whatever randoms stuff it has you can handle it most of the time or giving advantage to you.

However, how it works can cause the difficulty to fluctuate a bit. There's some randomness to the upgrade you obtain (which can sometimes be vital)--a reminiscent of their older design, and how the game works mean sometimes the enemies create a difficult situation, and in other times, they're total cakewalk.

(on how the game works, there's this fascinating video, and they said that the AI just choose _randomly_ on viable targets)

Last edit: 30 Jun 2019 21:08 by Sevej.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jexik

More
30 Jun 2019 22:25 #299065 by Gary Sax
Excellent, excellent game and the additional squads *really* twist your brain in new ways. Fire squad was my favorite.

The difficulty in this one clicked with me a lot better than FTL.

More
30 Jun 2019 23:18 #299066 by Jexik

Sevej wrote: (on how the game works, there's this fascinating video, and they said that the AI just choose _randomly_ on viable targets)

Thanks for the video link!

I will say after lots of playing that it seems like your mechs are usually one of those 1st or 2nd best targets, and that using that to your advantage by baiting them can give you some semblance of control over the enemies. Doing things like putting all 3 of your guys in a line at the start of a Hornet boss level, NOT standing in front of buildings against Fireflies, etc. I went a bit overboard though and have multiple perfect score Hard runs now.

Rusting Hulks and the Frozen Titans were my favorites. Blitzkrieg is a close 3rd.

More
01 Jul 2019 02:05 #299067 by san il defanso
Into the Breach is a terrific game that I am very bad at.

After a few months of letting Grim Dawn be my main source of ARPG hack-and-slash action, I dusted off Torchlight II last night after something of a hiatus. I'm not sure which one I like more, but I can say this with certainty: they are very similar games.

I've been playing Curse of Monkey Island with my kids as well, though I've had to promise them I won't play without them there. It's a great game, so I am disappointed I can't just power through it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax

More
01 Jul 2019 14:13 #299094 by Ah_Pook
Watching videos of the Zelda necrodancer game made me pick the original back up. I only ever got good enough to make to occasionally to the boss of zone 2 back when it first came out, so we'll see if I can get further this time around. I looooove this game but fuck it's rock hard.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.615 seconds